1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Creeds - What Do You Thnk About Them?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by gb93433, Jun 19, 2010.

1. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Oh yeah, and one of his fingers is now abnormally large because of that, right?

It's strange what sets Baptists off sometimes.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No SN, I doubt you read it at the age of one.

By the way? What a smooth seque.

You quoted three of my sentences, none of which ended with a preposition. The words :creed,that, and entirety are not prepositions.

But since this seems to be a pressing issue for you -- I'll address it. Why are you following such an antiquated superstition? What well-known grammarian obeys your cherished myth?

In the words of Winston Churchill :"That is the sort of thing with which I will not put!" I bet you don't even follow your stated silly sentiments.

Getting back to The London Confession of 1689 --Do you object to any part of it?

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why?........

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A pastor who was divorced and also started a seminary.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Again why?........

6. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    JDF Response

JDF,

I am very glad dear brother that your church has set about on such a noble, yet "lengthy," purpose of study of the major "three c's" as I call them.

What I think would be productive for this present discussion is a definition of what "creeds," "confessions," and "catechisms" are technically; and how they were used historically in our Baptist tradition. It seems that this discussion is blurring the lines of demarcation between the three somewhat?!

I would be happy to add those definitions if anyone might want me to do so, but I am afraid I would offend someone's sensibilities. You all know the differences I am sure--do you not? :smilewinkgrin:

Another topic for another thread perhaps; but why have Baptists stopped using catechisms do you suppose? Is it because we are lazy, can't read, too many jumbo trons at church, want to be entertained? Who knows? But is seems that the general public's "dumbing down" has crept right into the church house--has it not? Food for thought!! I hope!!

"That is all!"

#66 Rhetorician, Jun 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2010
  7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Because what he lived out in being a pastor and founder of a seminary seems too be quite contrary what many teach today in the same convention. He even smoked cigars for which some from the past did not want that seen in a picture of him. However the truth is the truth.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Some rather vague info lacking to make any judgment. And whether or not he smoked a cigar is irrelevant. Even though it is stupid some folks need to get a life.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. That is my point.