1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cremation and the Baptist Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jan 19, 2008.

?

Will you be Cremated

Poll closed Feb 18, 2008.
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    52.1%
  3. Maybe

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. Undecided

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

*groan*

I've always told Ron I wanted to be cremated and left on the mantle so his next wife would have to dust me ;)

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I've mentioned this before, but this seems an appropriate time to bring up LifeGems! Click Here

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I told my wife to put me in a block of clear plastic with my eyes open..........:)

BBob,

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

This young musician went on a pilgrimage--to Europe, to see everything associated with the Great Masters of music.

After much looking, he found the grave of Ludwig Von Beethoven. Upon arriving, he heard a faint noise. He leaned closer to the grave, and recognized Beethoven's Ninth Symphony....being played backwards! He listened, spellbound. Pretty soon, he heard Beethoven's Fifth...also being played backwards!

He was amazed. Frantically he looked around to find someone who could explain this. Finally he found a groundskeeper:

He asked, "Is this Beethoven's grave?"
    The groundskeeper answered, "Of course it is."

"Well, why am I hearing his music, backwards?"

"Don't you know anything?" replied the groundskeeper. "Beethoven's decomposing."

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say simply interment in the ground, I said Christian burial. It's all symbolic, like baptism and the Lord's supper. And no, I'm not saying it's a sacrament. I'm saying it symbolizes the hope of the Resurrection, and if I have a choice, I will choose Christain burial.

6. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

For those who are worried about an expensive funeral.

Here are cheap caskets. :thumbs:

Cheap caskets

7. standingfirminChrist

Scribe,

Thanx for the link. I went to the site and just out of curiosity, I clicked the urn section.

There, I found this urn...

[​IMG]
    That's right... windchimes urns.

I can just hear it now...

"Your wife sure is playing lovely music today.":laugh:

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm glad I wasn't drinking something when I read about you reading this thread while drinking something! [​IMG]

9. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

You're welcome. ;)

The Triton brown casket would be good and it's cheap.

Windchime urn!? What's next an Ipod urn? Iurn...:laugh:

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, I'll buy that. I just asked because most Americans seem to believe "burial" means "interment."

Japanese have a word for interment, but if you ask where their cremated loved ones are they "put them in the grave," often underground--they bury them. :type:

11. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

"creamation"...lol! Sort of like cream of corn.

Hmmm...if I can't have a tomb, I'd like DH to take me to a good taxidermist and have me posed in the living room wearing my wedding dress. :smilewinkgrin:

love,

Sopranette

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good! And here I was thinking there were only three ways to bury: interment, cremation, a cave--but now taxidermy. Of course! I laughed out loud. :laugh:

13. Karen

Karen Active Member

Should the Lord tarry, most of you on this thread are going to be buried, not cremated.
    I used to work for a cemetery. Most people do not make concrete plans in advance for what happens at their funeral or afterwards. They might make some flippant comments about how their family can use the money more than on a fancy casket. But nothing in writing.
    But it is such an emotional time for the family. They see the funeral as the last thing they can do for the person on earth. And they want the person to be remembered appropriately according to local customs.

You almost never, never see cremation occurring in this part of the US with a young person who has died and the parents are in charge of arrangements. Cremation is something they think about rather lightly for themselves, not something they actually do to someone else's body, especially a child's. If you see cremation in this part of the US, someone has died very suddenly and the family has no money at all, or the person is elderly and has it in writing, or is Episcopalian and wants an urn niche in the nice garden at the church.

Planning ahead, putting it in writing, and taking the stress off your family in making some of the decisions is a very good thing. Have an official will at the attorney's office as well as with your executor, not in the safety deposit box. With that will have a written list of instructions and preferences on all of these matters.

14. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Today, you notice many funeral services, coffins, find place for burial, everything alll are so expensive. More people cannot afford for that. More people prefer cremation over burial because of less expensive.

I do not against cremation.

Because all of us, our body shall return to dust.

We as Christians all know that all dead Christians' body shall be resurrection.

1 Cor. 15:51-51-57 give the wonderful passage of our promise of hope about our body. There will be no more death again.

I believe when Jesus comes, dead Christians' soul will return to their dead body, and their dead body will be formed again into alive and new body, become immortal.

I am not worry about my body. Because I have hope in Christ and the resurrection as 1 Cor. 15:51-57 promise us.

For me, I don't care either cremation or burial, I prefer with my body. I know in the hope that my body will become into immortal and alive again because Christ was the firstfruit of the resurrection. If Christ were not risne, then our hope is vain. Thank God that Christ were actual rosen from teh death, He gaves us the hope of eternal life.

Seven years ago, my uncle commited suicide by shot in his head. My mother's bothers and sisters made decision with unlce's body, that his body became into cremation. Because it was shocked and last minute without expecting. And we know funeral's everything all are so expensive costs. So, there is no choice, but choice cremation to save money.

That why, more people prefer cremation over burial, because of more less expensive.

There is much gray or flaw in the Bible mentioned on cremation.

I do not consider that cremation is sin. Because, today the cost of funeral are so HIGH and expensive than ever before. That why, many people cannot afford it, so, instead, they choose cremation to save money.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

#54 DeafPosttrib, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2008
  15. standingfirminChrist

I have a recording of a prank phone call where a taxidermist was called (he was not home, but his wife was). His wife was asked about stuffing the caller's 93 year old grandmother. Wanted her standing in his dining room (if I recall) with a pot in one hand and an ear of corn in another). Absolutely hilarious.

16. Karen

Karen Active Member

Yes, your experience lines up exactly with my comments on having worked for a cemetery. Grown brothers and sisters feeling overwhelmed by the expense of a traditional funeral, when the person has died unexpectedly, leaving them to handle the financial part. Now if one of those people had a young child die, it would be exceptionally rare around here for them to care about the expense. Even if they were financially straitened, they would have a traditional burial somehow.

Fascinating thing about this thread. People make funny comments about themselves or about someone who is very elderly. People do not make such comments about their spouses or children. Once again, ties in with what I observed in my job. In spite of the jokes, a number of you will probably make different decisions when you are actually faced with it.
    Once again, have some serious plans made and ease some future stress.
    (I'm not picking on you, SFIC. Jokes are fine, I'm just making a general point.)

17. standingfirminChrist

no offense taken, Karen.

God put in all of us a heart that should be merry once in a while. I am not always a joking person. When I preach, I am very serious about the Word of God. In the 8 years I pastored, I could probably count on my fingers (only once each finger) the number of jokes I told from the pulpit.

Here in this thread, I was just amused going to the casket site from the link provided and looking at urns and seeing the windchimes urn. I could not resist the little quip about one's wife playing music beautifully. If it offended, please forgive me. I did not mean to offend.

And then reading Sopranette's post concerning the taxidermy brought to mind the recording I have. I had to share that. Again if it offended, please forgive me. I did not mean to offend.

I agree, many do not know what avenue they will take at the time a loved one has passed. At that time people do not think clearly... even the best of us.

My stance is burial for God's people, but as DeafPostTrib said, burial expenses are very expensive.

I could start saving up for a proper burial, but with only 30 or 40 dollars a month left after my bills are paid, and the need for groceries, I don't see even the expense being met.

But the Word does say 'But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.'

18. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read this entire thread with interest [and a few chuckles-thanks Tim].

I spent over 31 years as a Funeral Director and I can truthfully say that this was one of the more informative and truthful discussions I've seen on this subject.

Usually discussions on subjects like this are started out of curiosity, and fueled by emotion.

I used to think that people who chose cremation were doing so because is [usually] less expensive and more economical. I've come to the conclusion that some people just prefer the idea of cremation and would still choose it whatever the price.

Yes, cremation can be as expensive as burial if you add in the charge for viewing for cremation following a service, which whould require the purchase of a casket, and the professional services of the Funeral Director for the service selected.

Immediate cremation on the other hand is generally less expensive because there is no viewing. The family would still incur charges if they want a memorial service. Charges would be made by the cemetery for the interment of cremated remains.

To stay with the op....Yes I am going to be cremated. It is my personal preference.