1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cremation

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by PastorGreg, May 14, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That he was "buried" . . Greek word is "thapto" or "interred", from the Classical Greek to "celebrate the funeral rites".

Jesus was interred. We in common English would say someone thus interred or entombed in a grave, crypt, cave, mauseleum, or even at sea is "buried". Anglo Saxon from "byrgh" (from which we get burrow, too) meaning "to hide, to save"

English is a tricky language. Just don't equate "bury" with "hole in the ground", okay? [​IMG]

2. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

That's fine. Have you stipulated that God bury you, or have you succumbed to something less than perfect? </font>[/QUOTE]I didn't say God had to bury me, or that I was going to change my name to Moses, or that I had to be buried on Mt Sinai, or any such nonsense. All I said was that when God chose to deal with the remains of one of His children, what did HE choose to do? Now tell me again how that YOUR idea is BETTER than God's.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He chose to bury the old bones where the specific location would not be known. Is THAT what you want for your remains, since it's how He chose to do it?

4. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

He chose to bury the old bones where the specific location would not be known. Is THAT what you want for your remains, since it's how He chose to do it? </font>[/QUOTE]Nope. we're not talking about grave markers, cemetary plots, or funeral homes. We're talking about cremation and I made the statement that if you are looking for a way that is definitely right you can't go wrong by doing what God did. If you want to be cremated, knock your socks off. My goal is to do things the best I know how and if I choose to be buried then I KNOW for a fact that it is God approved. Can you say the same for cremation? No, it may or may not be OK but, it is definitely not best.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

So are the remains of Moses today in a different state than they would be if he had been burned?? The answer is obvious and shows the fallacy being employed here. If Moses had been burned, he body today (3500 years later) would be exactly what it is. A burned body is no trouble for the Lord of the body and the Lord of the resurrection.

With respect to Moses, the most we can say is that God did bury Moses. We cannot say that God mandated burial as the only proper disposal of the body. That is simply not in the text. Those who mandate a particular method of body disposal are adding to Scripture.

Let's not make an issue on which God is silent into an issue on which we wish he had spoken.

6. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

The present state of Mose's remains is entirely irrelevant.

Deut 34:5 So Moses the servant of the Lord died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the Lord. 6 And He buried him in the valley in the land of Moab, opposite Beth-peor; but no man knows his burial place to this day.

Hardly silence, is it? God nowhere commands burial. But given a choice, He chose burial. I am saying how can you go wrong doing things the way God does. Yet, people keep posting that they have a better way. They prefer to do thing differently than God and I am saying that "different" than God is automatially worse. I am not saying it is wrong, just that it is worse. Unless you have a standard that is better than God, how can you say a different way is better.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deut 34:5 So Moses the servant of the Lord died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the Lord. 6 And He buried him in the valley in the land of Moab, opposite Beth-peor; but no man knows his burial place to this day.

Yet, people keep posting that they have a better way. They prefer to do thing differently than God and I am saying that "different" than God is automatially worse. I am not saying it is wrong, just that it is worse. Unless you have a standard that is better than God, how can you say a different way is better.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Alright, God did not make it known where he buried Moses; no monument, no marker. Are you going to have your carcass done differently-- "worse"-- than God's example, and have a marked grave?

As for cremation being a 'better way' (which is not what I said), even though I believe this world will end long before we have half the land in graveyards, I can definitely understand why people do not want to contribute to these problems of space. If I lived in Europe, where this is already a much greater problem than America, I would definitely have made a choice for cremation. [As of now, I have made no choice about anything in this matter.]