1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cremation

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Salty, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cremation: good bad, or indiffernt? check out this website www.pawcreek.org then click on articles and then scroll down to "cremation" (or any other article you may wish)

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

That article says cremation does away with water baptism. Silly. Baptism is just an outward sign anyhow.
    Diane

3. Karen

Karen Active Member

Speaking solely on a practical basis, I used to work for a cemetery. Yes, it WAS an interesting job. :eek:
    Cremation is one of those things that people, in advance, say they want for themselves, to save family money. However, if they have not prearranged that, at the actual time, it is VERY hard for the family to do that instead of burial.
    Especially if the person died young, and /or unexpectedly. People almost never do this when a child dies. If they do, around here, it seems to be when an elderly person dies.

Karen

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a pastor I've seen the same thing. Many will cremate, but not until AFTER a viewing and memorial, for people who are LIVING need closure.

That is additional cost.

Then, placing the urn in a grave or a niche so that there is a PLACE for the living to go, is another factor.

And more cost.

All things should be thought through carefully, for certain sure!

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Interstingly to do this in the Old Testament times it was considered an Insult by the Jews. Maybe that is why as Christians we value burial?

6. rbrent

rbrent New Member

My uncle was 89 when he died. He was a saved, born again Christian.

He chose to be cremated and directed me to sprinkle his ashes on the farm, which he donated to the Johnny Appleseed Metropolitan Park District in Allen County, Ohio.

He knew he would be with his Redeemer and wanted his ashes to enrich the land on which he spent so many years cultivating plants.

I sprinkled his ashes in a grove of hazel nut bushes he planted in the 1970ies.

My Mother, a wonderful saved Baptist lady, directed that her remains were to be cremated and her ashes sprinkled on the beach in Florida at a place we called Angelwing Bay.

My Dad and other family members were not comfortable with carrying out her wishes so I instead arranged a traditional burial at Barrancas National Cemetary.

As a saved, Bible Believing Baptist pastor and missionary for many years, I have no problem with cremation.

I know I don't have a lot of company among my fellow Bible Believing Baptists on that issue...

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Indifferent. Once we die our bodies are empty shells, to be discarded and never used again. I want to be cremated, because I think full body burial is a waste of financial and ecological resources that can be put to better use.

Years ago, some good friends of mine lost their dear aunt. She was adamant about being cremated. But they decided to inter her in the family plot, embalmed and in a full casket. On the way to the burial site, the hearse caught fire, and she ended up having to be cremated anyway. It was quite disturbing then, but they all laugh about it now. :D :eek:

8. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Is Cremation sin?

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No.

10. Askjo

Askjo New Member

No. </font>[/QUOTE]Your point? Why no?

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If cremation is a sin, then who is it that is sinning? (a)The deceased who requested it, who now cannot prevent it? (b)the one who turns on the heat, respecting the wishes of the deceased? (c)the family which did not lie by saying they will respect the decedant's wishes? (d)everyone having anything to do with it via an 'unholy' contract?

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Becaise the Bible doesn't say it's a sin, and doesn't appear to imply it. It very much implies that our bodies are simply empty vessels. When an empty vessel is depleated, it is to be discarded. Thrown out. It says our bodies are formed from dirt (dust), and we return to dirt when we die.

If you are challenging my position, feel free to discuss why you think it's a sin.

13. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe we should have a poll?

Head on down to the polls forum [​IMG]

14. rbrent

rbrent New Member

I'm getting scared now.

Johnv and I agree on something.

Oh my! [​IMG]

15. Karen

Karen Active Member

Becaise the Bible doesn't say it's a sin, and doesn't appear to imply it.....When an empty vessel is depleated, it is to be discarded.......
    If you are challenging my position, feel free to discuss why you think it's a sin.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I don't think cremation is a sin, but I would caution against what you just said, at least in the sense many people use the same words. I cannot do a good job of explaining all the nuances, but we believe in the resurrection of the body, not the Greek idea of the immortality of the soul. Of course, God does not depend on a buried body rather than a cremated one for this to happen.
    Personally, I have already made my arrangements as part of my financial planning. I have a nice plot facing east, as plots traditionally do. :D
    I encourage others to make their plans and arrangements and make them known. Otherwise, from my cemetery career days, I can pretty confidently say your plans will not be carried out. Those in charge at the time often don't even have a clue what would have been wanted.
    And planning will take more stress off your family than you can perhaps imagine.

Karen

16. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

We need to be very careful to label an act sinful if the Bible doesn't do so. Burial is a good principle (eg the Lord buried Moses) but we cannot prove that cremation is sinful. I know of a denomination that has its HQ in Scotland that actually teaches its members not to go to the funeral of family members if they are being cremated. What a terrible witness, a clear example of modern day Pharisees. We have anough difficulty keeping the commands of God that are clearly taught in the Bible without adding new ones!

Bob

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If we take that to the literal extreme, then we shouldn't embalm our bodies either. If there is to be a resurrected body for me, please, please, let it not be this one. It's got asthma, nearshightedness, has feet that are too big, is prone to migraines, has a genetic disposition to heart disease, and has about 10 lbs too much flab around the midsection.
    Yes, very wise, very sound, and very thoughtful to the ones left behind.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm writing this down. Perhaps it should be a Baptist Board holiday or something [​IMG]