1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crisis at Bobby Welch's (Former SBC President) Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ehaase, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

My guess is that he is complaining about the "secularization" of the sanctuary...taking the cross down, removing the pulpit, etc. I think that he is simply saying that, due to these changes, the church is looking less like a church and more like a secular gathering- i.e. the masons. Maybe I am incorrect, but that is how I took it.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That would make sense.

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

This is the problem when churches become known by a charismatic personality, as in Welch's church or Rogers' church or Criswell's church. It's God's Church. If Southern Baptists wouldn't get so attached to the personalities, this wouldn't be as big of an issue (though, I'm sure, it wouldn't stamp these kinds of problems out completely). The transition from the replaced to the new minister would be a lot smoother.

It shouldn't be all about the personality of one person. That begs idolatry. Also, when that person gets old and senile, which happens a lot, it makes for an awkward situation. For instance, look what happened with FBC Dallas when Criswell got to be 80+ years old and refused to retire, even though he promised he would time and time again. Nobody wanted to disrespect the guy, but he had been slipping for years.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So now this thread has moved from bashing FBC Daytona to bashing Criswell.

5. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

From what I understand there was a HUGE "dust up" when Billy Grahams son suceeded D James Kennedy. Last I heard he (Grahams son) was working on smoothing things out.

6. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

That was an example of how following a charismatic personality can be problematic. Thank you.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with you big time. The problem is that too many "churches" and "pastors" buy into the church growth gurus too much. When I read the sermon on the mount and compare it to much of what is written about church growth I am unable to find any church growth book that suggests humility and meekness as God's way of church growth.

The pastor may have done everything the leaders wanted and then the leaders find out they were wrong and stand with the congregation.

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

This explains a lot to me. When I was growing up in the United Methodist Church, they transferred pastors every 3-4 years. Seems like a good idea. Keeps the congregation from becoming a personality cult.

9. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can relate. In my last teaching job, I replaced a very popular Spanish teacher who had been there since the early-mid 80s; this teacher was asked to teach French because of an earlier resignation. No matter how hard I tried to open up to the students and work with them, they were very critical and harsh on me.

10. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I think that's one thing the United Methodists, among others, do well. This can happen so easily and then it's like the guy is the real show. He's the guy people come to see.

Not how it's supposed to happen, I don't think.

11. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

In all due respect, do you think a new thread would have been more appropriate...or perhaps no thread at all?

Seems I recall that issue of other churches have been aired on this forum in the past. One case in point is that of Steve Gaines and Bellview Baptist Church...if I am not mistaken.

The truth is, we do like to hear the bad news, right? There's just something about the sensational that titillates our base nature. When a megachurch with a high profile has struggles that are reported by the press, it's hard to not discuss it on this board. I am not sure that is a big problem.

I prefer to think we can intelligently discuss these situations, offer our "sanctified" opinions without crucifying the pastors, and move on.

For what it's worth, I have to tell you that I usually come down on the side of the pastor in these sad scenarios. He is usually not 100% innocent in the turmoil, but neither is the congregation.

Well, that's my spiel. You can take it and $4 to any Starbuck in your area and get a cup of coffee!

12. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

You folks in Al. must have more money than we do in Fl., four dollars for a cup of coffee, that about gave me a cardiac arrest.

I don't know about the last pastor leaving, but it looked like from friends who are members there the first new pastor spend to much money and made to many changes to fast. It might have been his first pastorate, much sounded like like first time pastor's mistakes.