1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Criticizing Roman Catholicism

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thomas Helwys, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

The RCC is quite specific on that there is no salvation outside of it. However, in true theological moebius strip like debates....there are wherefores ad nauseum.... this is God's turf so to speak, only He knows the heart and soul of His creatures, so it is for Him to decide.

You CAN be a person of great faith and NOT be RCC through what is called "invincible ignorance" ( please don't go up in flames about this, they are not my words), although I suspect these merry terms are what cause endless arguments if not wars.:tonofbricks:

On a more light hearted note, the new pope was crowned today......:flower:

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Inaugurated, not crowned - I think +++John XXIII dispensed with the triple tiara in 1958 and I would be flabbergasted if +++Francis reinstated it; he's gone for a cheap papal ring.

PS I wonder if he allowed Joe Biden to receive communion?

#82 Matt Black, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
  3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If baptism were just a symbol Jesus wouldn't have commanded us to do it. We could take it or leave it. But Peter and Paul have shown it is the mode of Entry into the covenant with the Lord and yes its done on faith and faith isn't just an individual faith but a community faith. And entire families can enter into this faith covenant by baptism. Scriptures are clear that baptism isn't a mere symbol but the Mode which Jesus asks us to enter into covenant with him.

4. KJVRICH

KJVRICH New Member

we also see in the scriptures that it is FAITH FIRST.....then baptism, this is where the RCC has it backwards. IMO

5. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, that is wrong. Catholic Church teaches faith first always first.
    So faith initiates baptism. However, as for infants they aren't excluded from the covenant relationship with God. Following in the principle in Deut where it says
    or in Prov
    So we baptize our children into our covenant relationship and train them that they may continue of their own accord in that covenant relationship. I think you forget what covenant relationship with God is. In the scriptures it (covenant relationships) always includes our children which is why Peter said

6. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I wonder why paedobaptists always leave off the rest of that verse. Including the last part changes the thrust of it, that's why.

I understand training your children and covenant; Baptists do that, and a very good job of it. But parents cannot have faith for their children.

The difference between baptists and paedobaptists is that the latter see the new covenant as a continuation of the old, whereas baptists see it for what it says it is, namely, "New".

7. Matt Black

Site Supporter

The New fulfils the Old, it doesn't replace it.

8. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Conceding that truth, I still see no scriptural justification or basis for infant baptism. Parents cannot have faith for infants or children. They can pray for them and teach them, but they cannot have faith for them.

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is true when they get to what you call the "age of accountability" where they are responsible for their own faith. And it is then they can continue in the covenant along with their parents or discard it of their own volition.

10. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Then why circumcise baby boys under the Old Covenant?

11. KJVRICH

KJVRICH New Member

[
    Genesis 17

10 This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.

12 And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.

#91 KJVRICH, Mar 19, 2013
  12. Matt Black

Site Supporter

OK, that's the chapter and verse; my point is that that drives a coach and horses through the anti-paedo-covenanters' (whether that be circumcision under the Old Covenant or baptism under the New) argument that reason and faith of the recipient is necessary. An 8-day old does not have any faith yet he is incorporated in the covenant by a 'work' (as some here would lable it).

13. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the information about no Salvation outside the walls of the Catholic Church. You would be amazed how many American Catholics say that they have never even heard that. The American Catholic Church is more liberal than in other countries in my opinion.

14. KJVRICH

KJVRICH New Member

agreed, an 8 day old doesnt have faith, but God said to Moses to do this.

I am not familiar with any new testament verse where God/Jesus says to us to baptize infants.

#94 KJVRICH, Mar 19, 2013
  15. KJVRICH

KJVRICH New Member

how many american catholics own a copy of their catechism? and have read even a part of it?

16. Matt Black

Site Supporter

But baptism under the New Covenant corresponds to circumcision under the Old - see Col 2:11-12

17. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How many American Catholics are just 'cultural Catholics' for that matter? Being Catholic in name only.

Now, as far as faithful Catholics that own a copy of the catechism but are familiar with it, you would probably be surprised.

Are you just making assumptions based on your interaction with 'cultural Catholics'? I know I used to.

The faithful members of my parish are, by and large, quite active in evangelism and bible study. There are a number of bible studies with many people in attendance.

18. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

No, it doesn't.

19. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Briefly....the Old Covenant was physical and nationalist. The New is only spiritual.

20. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

ONLY spiritual? Are you gnostic by chance?

When Jesus said at the last supper "This cup is the New COVENANT in My Blood, which is shed for you", did He mean the blood He was about to shed on the cross for our sins was not really physical?

#100 Doubting Thomas, Mar 19, 2013