1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Critique of The Way of the Master

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Hell's Best Kept Secret he recommends tongues, but not in this book. He only mentions the fullness of the Spirit in this book, but does not teach it at all.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the Holy Spirit cannot convict apart from the Law?

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He mus have some interesting views on the workings of the Holy Spirit then!

#23 Yeshua1, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said

5. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why criticize the book?

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But not the conviction of it, as that requires the Holy Spirit, and thu the Gospel itself!

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God can do as He pleases but normally speaking Y how would you know if you have sinned?
    How did you personally know that you were a sinner in need of a Savior?
    What is it that brought you to that conclusion?

It does not have to be an exact verse from the Torah but an infraction of the law which causes guilt.

If you hit you neighbor in the head with a hammer that is an infraction of the law which works with the conscience.

Leviticus 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

HankD

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He i
    The message ofthe Cross is what the Lord used to save me, not the hearing of the Mosaic Law!

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My biggest problem with Ray Comfort and TWOTM is his insistence that the method is the way Jesus evangelized when, clearly, it is not. Comfort has developed a method and it works for him. I say kudos – keep up the good work brother. But then he goes back and fabricates support for the position and in the process denounces the work of others. I wish that Comfort had stopped at “this is how I do it, and God seems to be using it to reach others.” But unfortunately, he didn’t.

I would never recommend The Way of The Master to a local church or believer, not because I am opposed to the method it teaches but because I am opposed to the false doctrine that accompanies that method. I would worry that by advocating Comfort’s materials I would also be inadvertently supporting and even encouraging bad theology, poor hermeneutics and a carelessness with God's Word. We cannot support bad doctrine simply because it sounds good or encourages others to do a good work because if we do then we have absolutely no ground upon which to stand when someone else advocates false doctrine to support their program.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What spects of it are bad thology and bad understanding of the scriptures?

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What exactly is that message Y?

HankD

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus is God in human flesh, died on the Cross in my place, and rose again for me, and I need to accept/receive Him in order to besaved by God!

13. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 16

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

There seems to be this intrinsic desire to "have a right standing". We don't want to be guilty of Anything. And as lost people, we would go to great lengths to "Justify our selves" regardless of the situation, and concerning our Position before God, we think WE can make this right with Him. And that is What the Holy Spirit does, convicts us that we are GUILTY because we have not believed on His Son. Had we believed, we wouldn't be found guilty :)

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly Jon also:

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

HankD

15. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I added a comment to the Scripture, sorry :)

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know why you are so reluctant to say that Christ died for your sins Y.

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

HankD

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did, He died in my place!

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nevermind.

HankD

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are a few:
    On page 47 Comfort examines the account of the “rich young ruler”. He concludes that Jesus used the Law to reveal the man’s hidden sin (idolatry), and asks why Jesus used the Ten Commandments in his dealing with the man. His answer is that “true evangelism must always start by preaching the Law.”

On page 80, it’s explained that “woman at the well had transgressed the seventh commandment, and without the righteousness of Christ, she would perish. The Law makes us thirst after righteousness that we would otherwise have no desire for.” But in Scripture, Jesus’ words of the woman’s adultery was not a conviction under the Law intended to make her thirst after righteousness. Instead it served as a sign that Jesus was the messiah for which they longed (Samaritans were considered half-breeds, both ethnically and in terms of religion. But they also looked for a messiah, more along the lines of a prophet like Moses). Comfort bends the narrative to suit his method.

Comfort consistently mistakes God’s Law to be “the Ten Commandments.” Even if we take it to be God’s moral law, we can see it expressed in the Ten Commandments, but the former is much greater than the latter. Comfort confuses the nature and purpose of the Law. This is evident at the start – “If God judges you by the Ten Commandments on the Day of Judgment”. Just as with his evangelism, Comfort confuses the standard to be the Law rather than Christ.

The reason knowing the Law is necessary for salvation is “no Law, no sin, no wrath, no repentance, no salvation.” The Law must give people a knowledge of sin, or they will perish. Comfort reduces sin down to breaking one of the Ten Commandments. He even states that non-believers are going to be judged in accordance to the Ten Commandments. Instead of understanding that the Law magnified or showed us our sin, Comfort adopts the Law as the standard of righteousness.

• Like Like x 1
  20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The conscience is also used by the Spirit to convict/reprove of sin.
    But there is a basis, an essential that the conscience functions on.

Do unto others...
    Whether I hear, know and/or believe the 10 commandments I don't want anyone to break into my house and steal stuff so it is reasonable that I shouldn't steal from another either.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.