1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crown College/Sexton Deaf Ministry

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Dr.Tim, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Hello, I often do not have the time to post on this board and only chime in when I see something that I think needs my input.
    Several weeks ago, a thread was started about Clarence Sexton, Crown College, etc. I would like to offer my own opinions about the school, the pastor, and the Deaf Ministry.
    First, I have to confess that I do not believe I would have liked Crown College if I had attended as an 18 yr old. The college is very strict, they fall under the label "legalist" because of the dress standards and the rules. Some call Dr. Sexton a dictator.
    It's always best that, before we criticize another person, we first examine ourselves to see if its us who has the beam in our eyes. I was a rebellious young man, hated authority, and definitely had a problem with "across the board" rules. Some of us who never had a problem with touching a girl can't tap her on the shoulder (an attention-getter in the Deaf community)because some other person went too far with touching.
    I personally never wear a suit and tie, have been preaching nearly 20 years and have held just about every imaginable position in the SBC and IFB worlds with the exception of "deacon". To force me into a suit, or even just a tie, on a daily basis would cramp my style and probably make me miserable.
    However, as someone mentioned on another board, when you sign the agreement to follow the rules of a school, it is extremely immature to complain about them, and even worse to break them. I have always struggled with authority but I think I have learned that learning to follow makes me a better leader. I am not a harsh pastor because I had some pretty strict pastors and I think it has taught me to respect the follower.
    As for Dr Sexton, I NEVER lift a man above anyone other than myself. I have no heroes, and this makes me an oddball in the IFB world. Lee Roberson, Jack Hyles, John R. Rice, Curtis Hutson, those guys would get a handshake from me but I would never place them above anyone else and I sure would not name my buildings in honor of them. Dr. Sexton is a strict pastor, he is an idealist, a perfectionist. Go to his church, go to his camp, you will see for yourself, when this man does something, he does not take shortcuts. He himself is EXTREMELY disciplined. If that bothers you, then dont go to Crown College. He is going to expect the men to wear slacks in church, the women to wear dresses, he will call you out by name from the podium (so they say) but one thing is sure, this man's ministry has produced some very effective ministers. His mission giving is WAY WAY above the average church, he is pushing about 55% of his budget to missionaries (in comparison, I remember one large city pastor told me that his church, an SBC church, gave more to the Cooperative Program than any of the other 125 SBC churches in that metropolitan area..when I asked what percent, he proudly answered, "Twenty-one percent").
    As for the Deaf Ministry, I have worked with these people before and know them well enough to tell you this ministry is NOT a stagnant ministry. Daryl Johnson is the deaf leader. They are very aggressive in visiting the Deaf and have grown, have spread out to the Deaf Institition at Knoxville, just a very good ministry. Daryl Johnson and his wife are the most humble people you will ever meet, they act as students of deaf culture and language and are respectful to those of us who are Deaf. Great people.
    The Deaf camp last year was good. I personally am from a deaf family, so some of it was a little too "English" for me, but the camp is a very nice place and the preaching (FRed Adams) was great as always).
    Just my 2 cents worth.

tim

2. Kidz-4-HIM

Kidz-4-HIM New Member

Well, I guess everyone has the right to their own opinion.

3. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Tim,

I advice you and any deaf people do not attend Crown College. I am not against Dr. Clarence Sexton. I highly respect him. He loves the Lord so much. He have a strong philosophy in soul winning.

My old deaf friend who is ex-member of Temple Baptist Church of Knoxville, TN under Pastor Sexton. He told me, deaf ministry was split or nearly collpased because of Dr. Sexton's spoiled. He told me, deaf people wanted deaf ministry to be separate from hearing service as 'deaf church', the deaf attendance average was good. Then, shomehow, Dr. Sexton told NO to deaf people for being separate from hearing service. Most deaf people left Temple Baptist Church, the average of deaf attendance dropped so quickly, the deaf ministry almost closed. Now it is about 3 to 5 deaf attend Temple Baptist Church.

I think Dr. Clarence Sexton seems do not understand the deaf culture well.

I remember a deaf perosn told me, many years ago in year during 1970's, Emmanuel Baptist Church of Pontiac, MI. Where Dr. Tom Malone pastored there for many years. During year 1970's, the average of deaf ministry at Emmanuel Baptist Church was big. When Dr. Tom Malone told the deaf leader of the deaf ministry, who was just graguated from Midwestern Baptist College in the late 1970's, please left Emmanuel Baptist Church, go other baptist church. Guess what? Nearly all deaf people stopped attend Emmanuel Baptist Church, the deaf ministry just collapsed, because of Dr. Malone forced deaf leader of the deaf ministry to leave Emmanuel Baptist Church.

I think many hearing pastors still do not understand deaf culture well. Many deaf ministry or 'deaf church' under hearing churches split or closed because of forced or too much authorized over them.

About three years ago, deaf pastor Emmanuel Stein left International Baptist Church of Brookyln, NY. Because he was not happy with Pastor John Morgan. He fed up with John Morgan, because he said that John Morgan have too much power or authority over Emmanuel, and to control over deaf ministry. Emmanuel have no freedom to helping deaf ministry as deaf church. For example, Emmanuel told his boss that he wants his deaf ministry going to camp in West Virginia. His boss told him no. He was so upset with him. He went to West Virginia with his group. His boss was upset with him. Emmanuel was wrong for disobey his boss. But there was so much problems between Emmanuel and Pastor because of deaf culture and hearing culture. I know John Morgan well. I dislike Morgan's way.

One day, Emmanuel had a meeting with his boss in boss' office. Emmanuel told him, that he want to have own deaf church. His boss forced him to leave church. Emmanuel was so disappoint with him. But, somehow, many deaf left church and join with Emmanuel to start own deaf church in Manhattan. Now, Emmanuel and his deaf church is so happy, it is growing again.

I think many hearing pastors need to understand deaf culture, what deaf people really needs. Hearing culture and deaf culture both are different, and understanding levels. Hearing's level is much higher than deaf's level. Deaf needs to be spearate from hearing, it would be much easier for deaf to learning and to have own deaf pastor to understand in ASL rather than having intepreter.

I would like to hear your feedback and opinions about 'deaf ministry' and 'deaf church', what's the difference between them? Thanks.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

4. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

So, I only suggest for deaf person who want to attend deaf bible colleges or attend hearing college with interpreting classes: Visis Capitol Deaf Bible Institute in Maryland near Washington D.C., deaf pastor Terry Buchholz established it about 8 or 9 years ago. That college is very good. Terry Buchholz is a very good leadership. I highly respect and admire him so well.

Another one - Harvest Deaf Bible College in Ringgold, GA. That college is very good for training and intership(training), make them prepare for learning how to mange deaf ministry or church well. That college is now about average 35 deaf students, but deaf church at Harvest Deaf Ministries is now about 200 attendance average. God is truly blessing Harvest Deaf Ministries and Reggie Rempel.

two colleges that I do not recommend deaf to visit or attend - Hyles-Anderson College, and Deaf Sword College of Mason, Ohio. Hyles-Anderson have lot of problems with deaf in the past. HAC seems not helping deaf to become sucessful leader. It is very, very rare for deaf who graduated from HAC are now successful serve the Lord such as Bill Schutt.

I do not recommend deaf to visit or attend Sword Deaf College of Mason, Ohio. Because, I dislike what Fred Adams was doing with ex-President of that college which was recently fired. Also, that college have serious finanical crisis. Many students already left college because of Fred Adams. I was used as member of that church for three years under Fred Adams. I know him well. I already seen many problems at that church while I was there. I recommend deaf do NOT attend Sword Deaf College. I do not need to telling you everything and long details why Sword Deaf College have so many problems.

But, deaf better obey God's guide, where God wants deaf to attend college, better listen and obey God's guide than listening to any man's advice include me.

I have no idea what in the South, the name of colleges do have programs for deaf to attend. Probably you know the names of the colleges that you would suggest deaf to visit in South. I only know a good place for deaf who living in South is Harvest Deaf Bible College of Ringgold, GA near Chattanooga, TN.

In Christ

5. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

I pray for ministries. Hate see collapse. My pastor in Baton Rouge is very flexible and I can have services for deaf any time. Very nice man, Buchanan. Good man, and understand deaf are different.
    One pastor had big deaf ministry in Louisiana, about 15 deaf. God blessed the ministry and a tall, smart deaf man began attending there. He was not a new christian, had been saved a LONG time. The interpreter who helped establish the ministry told the pastor.. "NOW is the time for deaf services, let this man preach, he is very good and knows doctrine very well."
    Hearing pastor said NO. Wants all the people in the church for same service. Problem is there was a Spanish group that had separate services. Why not let deaf be separate too?
    Long ago, one ministry I worked with was growing and we had about 20 deaf. I told the deaf pastor (a hearing man)"We need start deaf church, should do that first place." He said that he would talk to the pastor. I said I think better if I talked to the pastor. He said NO, it's my responsibility. He went and the pastor said NO. A few months later I sent a letter explaining WHY deaf need separate services. The hearing pastor of the deaf group then came and informed us that we could have separate deaf services. Glory Halleleujah!

6. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I read your two posts about deaf Bible colleges on Baptist Board. I visited Harvest Deaf Bible College many years ago. Their teaching is good. However the courses seemed TOO EASY for me. Harvest Deaf Bible college is good for low-educated students. Reggie Rempel is not low-educated because he was graduated from TTU. Reggie is not interested in the accreditation for his college and Harvest Deaf Bible College does NOT have it, but TTU has accreditation.

I tried to communicate with Capitol Deaf Bible College many years ago, but the communication did not work very well. They sent me a catalog, but I have no interest in it because of no reply to my e-mails or calls.

Your post said, "deaf church at Harvest Deaf Ministries is now about 200 attendance average." Well, Reggie said that he has half deaf people and half hearing people in his church.

You mentioned Fred Adams. Do you think that Fred Adams is a "Hyles-style" preacher? If so, I would call him, "Hylesite." I think that Fred graduated from Hyles' high school and Temple Deaf College. My best friend (who went with the Lord last year) was graduated from Temple Deaf College and told me that Temple Deaf College is "Hyles-Style" college. I was amazed to hear that.

Let's talk about Crown College. I received a letter from a professor at Crown College. This professor's wife is profoundly deaf. This professor was retired from Tennessee School for the Deaf. He currently teaches at Crown College for 2 years. He explained to me in a letter saying that Dr. Sexton has selected a staff to develop a program to meet the special needs of deaf students. This professor notified me that they hope to enroll deaf students in fall of 2005. I hope to visit Crown College in the fall.

7. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

They have a good ministry for incoming students in the field of deaf work because the deaf school (Tenn School fo the Deaf) is close and many opportunities are there.

8. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

I want to telling you something.

I would like to share with you about Deaf Harvest Bible College. I graduated from there in 1999 for 4 years. Askjo, you saying, it is easy. Well, you are right.

Reggie Rempel is from Canada. He graduated from TTU in 1979. He told us, that he have been struggled to passed course, because hearing classes were difficult fo him. He's deaf. In his first year of college at TTU, he failed almost all courses, he was so fraustrate with the courses, he said, hearing courses are porcess too fast. Reggie was not alone, also many deaf students failed many courses at TTU. Ronnie Rice graduated from TTU also. Himself is a deaf evangelist under Bill Rice Ranch. He said, he was struggled with hearing courses, he failed many courses. But he won't give up, keep on fight to pass courses. He made it in 5 or 6 years. TTU is a 4 years program, we know that. Ronnie Rice took TTU courses and received all credits to meet the requirement of graduation. He made it. One course, that he hated the most is English. Ronnie went and told to Don Cabbage, he was complaint about English. But, Cabbage told him, be patience, and keep on fight, not give up.

Nothing wrong for deaf to take courses at hearing Bible college. High percent of deaf students who enroll into hearing colleges failed courses and did not graduate. Many deaf who enroll Hyles-Anderson, TTU, and others. MYself attend Midwestern Baptist College(MBC) in Pontiac, MI. I was the only one deaf student in hearing classes. I was struggled to pass courses at MBC. In my first semester or quarter at MBC, I failed almost all courses. But I decide not to give up, I keep on fight to pass some courses. In my second quarter at MBC, I did improved passed more courses than in my first quarter. Then, in my third quarter, I keep on getting better and improving passed courses.

Understand taking hearing courses are more challenge for deaf include myself. Not easy.

Low percent number of deaf students who enroll any hearing bible colleges did make it, and graduated.

Reggie Remple made a point. In 1995, I remembered what he told me about TTU received accredition. The reason, TTU received accredition, because many students who interesting want to take more education, deeper courses like, Ph.D, doctorate, master, etc. If any bible college want to received accredition, then have to be submit under the Government and State, that means church and state must be unity together. That why, Reggie prefers church not under the Government or State, want church being to be independent, not under the Government.

Let you know, Harvest Deaf Bible College now add more higher course 3 years ago, now have BA Degree. Before Harvest Deaf Bible College(former BIMI Deaf Bible College) only offer TH.G classes, of course, they are easy. Now, Havrest Deaf Bible College added BA Degree, because, Reggie realized that many churches can hired deaf to have opporunity to serve the Lord by have BA Degree better than THG. Degree. That why he added it three years ago.

Also, I would like to share with you about Robert Fuller. He is a deaf missionary to Russia. Himself is a full deaf. He's from Mass. He is so very educational person. Because his parents both are teachers! Robert graduated from hearing high school in Mass. He told me, hearing high school are more high education. When he attended Gallaudet University in 1988 or 1989. Guess what? He told me, courses at Gallaudet are TOO EASY for him! He was complaint, but patience to took courses and graduated. After he graduated Gallaudet, he returned back to Mass, looking for a job. For past 1 or 2 years, he finds no job, he was so fraustrate finding a job.

ONe day, he went to 1994 BIMI Deaf Camp in PA. God called him to be missionary. He surrendered to God's call. He attends BIMI Deaf Bible College in fall of 1994. Guess what? Robert was so complain, complain, about these courses at BIMI Deaf Bible College are TOO EASY. He did rumour to deaf church of Wash D.C. of course he told deaf people at Terry Buchholz's church, criticize on BIMI Deaf Bible College are too easy for him. Reggie heard that Robert told deaf people at T.B.'s church of negatives on his college. Reggie was so upset with him.

Robert Fuller had his temper problems. One time, when he was in Reggie's office, talked with Reggie, he got lost in temper, he was so very angry, then Reggie pushed Robert up against the wall. Reggie rebuked him to calm down. Robert changed his behavior alot, and improved lot. He was so patience with the courses.

Reggie told me, if these courses are too hard for deaf people, many will not serve the Lord, easy quit college. Also, Reggie's wife, herself, a hearing wife. She realized that deaf level are lower than hearing level. Kim believes the courses should be balance with high education deaf students, and low education deaf students in the same class. Reggie cannot promise that there have any courses for high education deaf students. He admits that he frasuated with these students about the level.

But, Reggie did hired tow very, very skill teachers with higher education to teaching high education deaf students, such as Dr. Porter, himself retired as TTU professor, also, hired Karl, himself a deaf person, he graduate from Colorado University in Denever, Co. He is very, very good teaching to deaf people. Karl is now teaching to high deaf students.

I highly respect Reggie and Harvest Deaf Bible College. He have a big heart for deaf Christians who desire to serve the Lord successful.

Let you know Robert Fuller graduated from BIMI Deaf Bible College(now Harvest Deaf Bible College) in year 1997. He join B.I.M.I. as candidate for missionary. He went on his deputation to increased his support for go to Russia. Now, he is in Russia started deaf church. He started a deaf church in St. Petersburg about 4 or 5 years ago. He is doing great! God uses him so blessing.

Not only Robert Fuller. Also, Ronaldo and Jona F. both graduated from BIMI Deaf Bible College. Ronaldo did shared with us, that he attend Deaf Temple College in ILL, then quit. Attend TTU, then quit. Attend Trinity Baptist College of Jax., FL then quit. He wasted 10 years for nothing. He finally graduated BIMI Deaf Bible College in year 1998. Now, he is a full time deaf pastor at Tampa Deaf Baptist Church(under SBC) in Tampa, FL. He is doing great.

Not only Ronaldo. Also, Mac from Dallas, Texas, graduated Harvest Deaf Bible College in 2004. Now he is an assistant deaf pastor under Ronaldo at Tampa Deaf Baptist Church. Mac is serving the Lord. Mac, himself is not well education. He did failed classes at Harvest Deaf Bible College. He kept on fight trying to pass the courses. Finally he made it.

Reggie believes any person who is high education, or being theology, is full of ego and pride, who not serve the Lord. That's fact, that what he told me. He's right.

Reggie told me, for 40 years of deaf program at TTU, there are only about 10 deaf who graduated from TTU are sucess serve the Lord. Where's 200 to 400 deaf students or more at TTU in 40 years? They are already astray away.

Right now, America have three IFB deaf bible colleges in Ohio, Wash D.C. and Georgia. I only recommend deaf who interesting attend bible colleges - Wash D.C. or Georgia. Because I know deaf people's background well. In America, deaf people's average of reading level is 5th grade. I am reading 10th grade level. If deaf want to enroll hearing bible college, that is fine with me. Nothing wrong with deaf who interesting hearing bible college. In fact, many cases, I notice most deaf easy quit or leave hearing bible college, because courses are too difficult for them to pass.

I am not against Crown Bible College for start deaf program, that's wonderful for them. Dr. Tim, and Askjo, both are well qualify to enroll Crown Bible College, because both are well education. I know Dr. Tim very well for 13 years, since I first met him at Bill Rice Ranch. I can see Dr. Tim, is a very well education person. Tim and I both enjoy discussed Bible doctrines. Because both Tim and I understand each other well about the doctrine issues, because we know Bible well, because both of us can read Bible well, because of higher reading level.

I advice you better not taking at Crown Deaf College.

I did read Crown's catalog several years ago. It is too restricted and high standard. Several things I do not agree with Crown. Crown requires all femaile students to look find a job, where place, ALL women wear dressing, NOT jean. A feamile student CANNOT have a job, where a place that many female employees wear jean or pant. That does not sense to me. I tell you a true story about an ex-Crown female student. She was so fraustrate look to find a job, which place, no femail employee wear jean or pant. She have to look find a job, which place, all female employees wear dressing only. She never find a job for a long time. While she was at Crown College. She had trouble with hier debts owning tutition and college bills. So, she decided withdrawl Crown College. But, somehow, good news, She married a Crown student, now he is a pastor. She is pastor's wife. That's wonderful! Guess who? Allen Snare's daughter!!!

Also, I disagree with Dr. Clarence Sexton about the deaf ministry at his church. He told no to deaf people for being separate deaf from hearing service as deaf church. Many deaf left Temple Baptist Church because of Dr. Sexton. Also, my friend told me, a spanish pastor at Temple Baptist Church. He asked Dr. Sexton, that he wanted spanish people to be separate from the service to have own Spanish Church at Temple Baptist Church. Dr. Sexton told no to a spanish pastor. He believs all ministries MUST be attend his church for the service together. But, he does not understand the culture of deaf and spanish people, what they need.

I advice you better not attend Crown College.

By the way what about Tenneesee School for the Deaf in Knoxville? Well, in year 1996 or 1997, BIMI Deaf Bible College asked Tenneesee School for the Deaf(TSD), want to start Bible study at TSD, and to have deaf ministry at TSD. TSD don't mind, they allow BIMI Deaf Bible College to start Bible study TSD. But, somehow, Temple Baptist Church(TBC) told TSD, NO BIMI Deaf Bible College not allow to start Bible study. Temple Baptist Church told TSD, that TBC will start bible study at TSD. Did TBC actual start bible study at TSD? Never! That was 8 years ago!

BIMI Deaf Bible College did started Bible study at Georgia School for the Deaf about 8 years ago, it was successful. Now, Mace Fenner, himself a deaf person, he is deaf pastor, also, church planter too. He is a deaf pastor of deaf church near GSD now!!!

I highly respect Dr. Sexton about his vision for his church, yet, he have some problems about understanding the culture. He have very little understand the deaf culture, also spanish(Latino people's culture).

Not only Dr. Sexton, also, many hearing pastor at IBC churche sin in America, know little or nothing on deaf culture. Most hearing pastors force deaf ministry to be merge with hearing people for the service with intepreter. Most hearing churches with deaf ministry are not growing sucess. Most deaf prefer deaf pastor and deaf church than intepreter.

I telling you, Crown College will start deaf program this fall, BUT it will be last for a short time then collapse. It is not wise for you to attend Crown College with deaf program.

Ok for you to attend TTU or Hyles-Anderson College with deaf program. But, in cases, MOST deaf people easy quit TTU & Hyles-Anderson. throughout years.

I believe, deaf bible college is better for you to attend, not because of easy courses, because of OPEN OPPORUNITY to teaching or preaching in the church or ministry as training. Most hearing bible colleges do not provide deaf students to be invlove training.

Askjo, you saying, you have hard time contract weith Terry Buccholz for visitng his college in D.C. well, I suggest you to email to my best friend Mike Locke, ask him for over his townhouse in Maryland, and to VISIT Capitol Deaf Bible College by yourself, SO, you will able to meet Terry Buccholz in a person much easier than email. I am telling you Terry Buccholz never have time to reply by email or letter to any person. Same with Reggie. Reggie never, never reply by email or write/type a letter to a person.

My advice you, better you go and visit Capitol Deaf Bible College by YOURSELF, so Terry Buchholz will open his eyes and willing to listen you by one to one person talking rather than send email or a letter to Terry Buchholz.

I am guarantee that Terry Buchholz WILL listen ot talk to you, unless you VISIT his church and college yourself.

Mike Locke told me, right now, all IFB deaf bible colleges are difficult to growing, because of compete each other. His friend told him, if suppose Temple Deaf College in Kansas City, MO. was founded about 30 years ago, it would been still alive and not collapse, then there would be over 100 IFB deaf pastors in America by now! I agree with im. But, sadly, Satan destroyed Temple Deaf College 25 years ago because of terrible sins invloved with President.

Nothing wrong to have more deaf bible colleges in America. Hey, there are so MANY IFB hearing colleges in America, which one?

My advice you, better follow what God wants you go to bible college, better listen him, also, look for a open door, then enter it. My highly recommend you, better visit hearing colleges with deaf programs also, deaf bible colleges first BEFORE you make final decision, and seek God's Will to find a open door for you to enroll.

So, only two ifb deaf bible colleges that I highly recommend you is Capitol Deaf Bible College of D.C. or Harvest Deaf Bible College of Georgia. Because of what I already seen deaf Christians in my life and years. The better result for deaf Christians to serve the Lord is attend deaf bible college than hearing college with deaf program. Because of open opporunity to training by teaching in the ministry at the church, or teaching the class in college, so, it would help you to be prepare to become full time serve the Lord after you graduated.

In Christ

p.s. it is still snowing at my home in Michigan. Yuck!!!!! I am looking forward for spring!!

9. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Why not Temple Deaf College? Why did he stay at TTU until graduation?
    They did not stir up their ability.
    Absolutely yes, I noticed that.
    PCC and BJU have nursing program. That is why they are accredited. For example, if you want to be a professor at BJU. When you graduated from non-accredited college, you would not get a job at accredited BJU.
    I remember him when I visited BIMI Deaf Bible College.
    His opinion! I disagree with that because he TOLD me that his students graduated from there and FAILED. Just not their brain!
    Lack of students reflects their high or low level in each class.
    Their teachings are good but a paper.
    His opinion! I disagree with that. Is Terry Buchholz ego?
    The Bible said, “A few laborers.” 10 are better than 200 or 400.
    Quit prejudge! It will start soon. Pray for this.
    Competitive! Which is the best? I do not buy them.
    Wise response!

10. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Askjo,

You ask me, why not Reggie attend Temple Deaf College? Reggie Rempel went to Bill Rice Ranch in 1974, and was saved there. Also, he was called to preach by God. He asked staffs at Bill Rice Ranch, where Bible college, he should attend. They told him, TTU. Because, Bill Rice's deaf daughter was the first deaf student to graduate TTU, I think in year 1957. Then, later Bill Rice's adopt deaf son- Ronnie Rice graduated TTU in 1974. I believe Bill Rice Ranch and TTU both are very strong relationship during 1970's and 1980's. That why Reggie got the advice from staffs at Bill Rice Ranch about TTU.

You saying about 'paper'. Well. Reggie told students, when taking tests, if not taking review for the tests, it would take challenge them to pass the test without having reviews. Many deaf students are weak on tests. They depend on reviews, I don't really need it. Also, Reggie's wife said of BIMI students, they study tests, the wrong method, they do not do to memorize the reviews or for the tests. Being memorize do not helping them to pass the test, and learning nothing. I agree with her. Students should reading again and again, and understand what they have learning in the class, not just memorize them, as what the reviews saying. Many deaf students have problems with their study methods.

Reggie's daughter was considering of attend PCC in Penscola, FL. for taking medical school, to become missionary to Africa as nurse. But, somehow, God changes her heart about God's Will lately.

You asking me, about Pastor Terry Buchholz, is he ego? You are not alone to ask me. Several people told me the same thing on Terry Buccholz. Several dislike his attitude, what they seeing him. Well, why not they have to tell Pastor Buccholz, by theirselves. do not ask me.

All of them who told me on Pastor Buccholz, because they were at DBFA, also, I was there same time. I understand how did they feeling toward Pastor Buccholz because of his church acts differently as what different states or churches action at DBFA. I have to be careful what I would saying to you on Pastor Buccholz, because someone who might read this post at baptistboard. Only talk at private message, not in this public post.

Several things I do not agree with Pastor Buccholz, yet, I highly respect and admire him, because his leadership is great, and wisdom too. I urge you better drive or fly to D.C. and visit his church and college yourself, to get know about his college, and also talk to him by face to face more better than send email or email to him.

In Christ

11. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Hello again.
    I have read the posts about the various ministries.Guess it is ok to share my opinion about different ministries.
    Reggie and Kim Rempel are very experienced, both in ministry and in education. Kim is an extremely talented woman. Honest, and deaf preacher who has a wife like her is truly blessed. She is a hard worker and her mind and heart is in deaf ministry. Reggie is a man who has experienced REAL life.. grew up on a farm and worked with his hands since he was a young boy. He became saved, went to college, and learned how to educate himself and others.
    Some believe that Reggie's school courses are TOO EASY. The deaf students in his college (when I visited in 2002)were very diverse (different). Some understood reading and writing well. Others struggled with English and basic reading and writing. This, of course, does not mean one is intelligent and one is not. There is a language barrier for some deaf. Reggie himself told me, "You understand, we have some students who truly struggle in class, and I do not want them to fail because of the language struggle." I told him I understood clearly. I would have gone to Harvest myself if I had not first gone to New Orleans Bapt Theo. Seminary. I do enjoy Reggie's school and church.

Terry Bucholz? I do not know him very well. He is extremely intelligent and many people think he is one of the smartest Deaf people, as Reggie Rempel. His ministry is up North and there are many deaf in his area. His church is a large deaf church.

Here is the issue for anyone thinking about Bible College or seminary. If you wish to truly go very deep into the Bible, to learn things you have never learned before, OFTEN it's best to go to a hearing seminary. The reason is because the level of teaching is much higher, there is no English language barrier and so the classes are deep and hard. Going to a deaf college, I think you will find out that the courses are a little bit easier and not as challenging as a hearing school.
    HOWEVER, if your desire is to immerse yourself into deaf culture and learn about deaf ministry from a deaf perspective, then maybe best to attend one of the three deaf colleges..Sword [Fred Adams in Ohio]), Terry's school and Reggie's school in Georgia.

I was there, at the volleyball tournament when the missionary said he was a legalist.. some said Amen. I said.. "that man is never coming to preach in my church".
    There is something Independent Baptists must understand when attemtping to work with the Deaf. We are a CASUAL culture and not many deaf people wear suits and ties. I sure DON'T. One time at deaf camp in the early 90's ...there was a "talent show". People in camp were encouraged to participate..sing a song, preach, drama,etc. I had already been preaching almost ten years at that time and was trained. I did not feel right competing with the others who were preaching for the first time in their lives. Some people asked me to sign up and one of the pastors from Alabama put my name down to preach for 15 minutes. I said OK OK. Well I was prepared and when ready, my turn to preach, the director of the camp said.. "Tim, the rule is..if you do not have a coat and tie, you CANNOT preach here." I said, "WHAT??????????????"
    Independent Baptists need to understand that the American, white, hearing culture DOES NOT HAVE A MONOPOLY on Christianity. We do not have to worship or dress the HEARING, WHITE, AMERICAN WAY. I think it is so hypocritical when I see pastors DEMAND that all preachers wear coat and tie even when they re NOT preaching.. but then they go on a two week mission trip to Phillipines and come back with pictures of themselves with a shirt and no coat and tie. I confronted one man one time and he said.."Oh, the Filipino culture..they do not wear coats and ties." I said "Well, the deaf not wear coat and ties either." He said "But this is America!" I said "So what? why do we always have to follow the white hearing american way??????"
    This is why many independent baptists ministris to the deaf are so TINY.... because they force legalistic standards on people of another culture.
    This is why I NEVER preach about women in pants and so forth. I think we need to let the Spirit move and convict those IF they are wrong in some way.
    Long post..sorry.

12. Askjo

Askjo New Member

DeafPosttrib and Dr. Tim,

A deaf preacher and I wanted to share with Reggie Rempel about the secret in DBFA in a few years ago. Guess what? Reggie REFUSED. A deaf preacher was so shocked and saw Reggie's attitude toward me. I will NOT share with him anymore about the secret. A deaf preacher learned about the secret what I shared with him. The secret is a LONG story. I am sorry that I CANNOT tell you what the secret is. The secret is INCREDIBLE because it is real. I realized that many deaf preachers do NOT have the secret that I have.
    Correct, I agree with you.

13. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

AskJo,
    Often people come to me with secrets to share. Sometimes it makes me feel uncomfortable. One man shared a secret with me one time, and a few months later most people found out. It was a molestation accusation against an interpreter's husband.
    When I was in Tennessee two years ago, a woman approached me and was very disturbed.She shared with me something about a person involved in ministry. She already confronted this person and his wife. Very hard for me to decide how handle this.
    Let's pray for each other and for those involved in the problems we know about. ok? Maybe the Lord will give us wisdom.

tim

14. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I understand your point, but it is not what I talked about any problems in that secret. What I talk about the secret is the POWERFUL tool.

15. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Askjo,

We all cannot expect every IFB pastors have same views on the issues such as doctrines, etc. I have many things that I do not agree with Reggie Rempel, and Terry Buccholz. But, I highly respect them both. Both are truly man of God. They are faithful to the Lord. They care their flock as pastor. Both do have problems of their churches. We all cannot expect all IFB churches are perfect. Why? Because we are all sinned. But, they are responsiblity to care their flock, to make sure, that they are not being mislead, or robbed by wolf, or misleading in other false doctrines, etc. Thier deaf churches' attendance are 100 daily Sundays. God truly blessing their ministry.

Askjo, I don't care, that you disagree with Reggie Rempel. That is fine with me. I still love Reggie so much. I have nothing against him. Don't looking at his small or tiny black spot of his problems. Look at Reggie's faithful and his ministry, how blessing is his ministry for many years. I believe God blessing his ministry and also Terry Buchholz's ministry too.

Askjo, if you want to tell me the secert on Reggie, at DBFA, that he refused to discuss about it. Then, please send a private message or email to me, why does he refuse to discuss on it.

Hey, I telling you, both are over age 50's, they are wisdom and experinces in their ministry. They do have problems. Same many IFB churches have problems too. But, they are faithful to God, I am no doubt, God blessing their ministry.

In Christ

16. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I did NOT talk about any problems or anything against.
    A deaf preacher and I asked Reggie Rempel to join with us, but he refused. You want to know what the secret is? The secret is the POWERFUL tool.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I know Fred, Reggie and Terry well, went to TTU with all three. Each one has their faults and strengths, as we all do. If I were to go to a deaf Bible College today it would probably be Harvest. They seem to have the best balance of the three.

I am glad to find a Baptist list with deaf people.

God bless you all!

18. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I will visit Crown College for a tour on next Monday. I will visit its church and will meet deaf people there on next Sunday. [​IMG]

19. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Being a Knoxvillian, I advise people not to go to Crown - deaf or otherwise. I believe people need a solidly Biblical education.

First of all, I'd have to see this in writing to believe it. Second, the SBC pastor's 21% supports over 10,000 missionaries worldwide. How many does Temple support? If in fact they do give over half their tithes to missions, wonderful. But, knowing the church sits just down the road, I'd be shocked if this were true.

20. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I visited Crown College and deaf ministry and learned something concerning the program for the deaf. The deaf ministry is growing. MORE students take ASL course at Crown College. They met me and chatted with me for a moment. They are friendly.

I recalled that one poster here told me that many deaf people left this church, but one professor told me that it was not a reason for that cause because deaf people followed ONE person who left there WITHOUT examining what problem was caused in this church.

Daryl Johnson currently teaches in ASL course and interpreting course at Crown College. Also he is an interpreter for deaf people in services. I viewed his interpreting skill. He did excellent job.

The program for the Deaf is opening at Crown College this Fall. They are in process of the development to provide the deaf for their needs. During the professor chatted with me yesterday, he explained me that Crown College will advertise concerning the program for the Deaf soon.

This professor and I discussed reflecting to Q/A. We had a wonderful time at a restaurant for lunch. He bought my lunch. How nice!

Pray for this deaf ministry and Crown College.