1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crown College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Kidz-4-HIM, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Kidz-4-HIM

Kidz-4-HIM New Member

Anybody heard about Crown College?

Crown College

Thanks
    Cline [​IMG]

2. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Yes, there is a young lady from our church attending, and I heard Bro. Sexton preach at a revival meeting a few years ago. Have only heard good things.

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Sexton is a bit of a dictator.

4. Butterflies4mami

Butterflies4mami New Member

Fine church & school, heard Pastor Sexton preach several time and my heart was always touched in some way. I also have heard his brother here in Fla., they are both great men of God, I personally think Crown is the best Bible college going right now.
    In Christ,
    Peggy [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I received the information concerning this college. This information, that I read, shows very obviously that it is overly strict. Legalism!

6. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Crown College's Statement of Faith:

The Scriptures
    We believe the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments to be the Bible, “as it is in truth, the Word of God...” (I Thessalonians 2:13). We believe in verbal, plenary inspiration in the original writings, and God's preservation of His pure words to every generation (II Timothy 3:16, Psalms 12:6-8). The Masoretic Text of the Old Testament and the Received Text of the New Testament (Textus Receptus) are those texts of the original languages we accept and use; the King James Version of the Bible is the only English version we accept and use. The Bible is our sole authority for faith and practice.

Amen to that! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Dr. Gerald Click

Dr. Gerald Click New Member

Sounds like Ruckmanism to me.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of Crown, part of it is my own bias since Bro Sexton and I had a run in years ago at Temple. However, school rules are NOT legalism. When you go to the school you agree to their rules. Legalism is requiring works for salvation or "spirituality" not a list of school rules. It is also unfair (as another poster did)to call Bro Sexton a "dictator." If you go to his church or school you willingly submit yourself to his authority.

9. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Believing the King James Version is the Word of God for the English speaking people and having strict rules does not make them legalistic or Ruckmanistic.
    Rules are good things.
    I believe the KJV is the Word of God for English speaking people and I have no idea about Ruckman's teachings.

10. Kidz-4-HIM

Kidz-4-HIM New Member

Thanks for the info I have been praying about this, please pray for me.

Cline [​IMG]

11. Bro. Jeff

Bro. Jeff New Member

Sexton is on TV in my area (east TN) and the other day he was preaching about the KJV1611 being the Word of God.

Funny thing though - he wasn't using 1611.

12. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Who made the rules at Crown College? If Crown College is againist the Calvinism, why did it advertise Charles Spurgeon, a famous Calvinist in Crown's newsletter? Legalism?

13. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

I rec their paper, "The Vision" and have wondered the same thing! If he was alive today, some of our IFB's would not have anything to do with him because his Calvinist views, "long" hair, and didn't he smoke a cigar? (I know things were "different" then).
    Back to Crown Coll. I am not in agreement with some of their views, they're a bit more conservative than I am, however from what I know of Bro Sexton, he seems to be a great guy, and he sends his students (college choir) here every year to sign all over NYC sharing the true meaning of the coming of Christ. I praise the Lord that he has a genuine burden for this needy area and he's encouraging his Pastoral students to come here to serve God, if of course, the Spirit leads....God bless!

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sounds like ignorance on their part. They forgot to study carefully rather than accept ignorance.

15. mortenview

mortenview New Member

Crown is not Ruckmanite nor Calvanistic if you are referring to 5 pt calvinism. Yes, they do beleive in eternal security but no hyper calvinism.
    As to the post above re/ignorance ... you are just blowing smoke here and have no facts to "back up" your claims of ignorance.

Most IFB are pastor led - that's why they grow. The pastor is to be a shepherd - a Bishop - and Elder. In a larger church, he is also the CEO much like a larg corp.

If the staff and students do not submit to his authority, you will have mass caos and confusion and the church and or college will not grow etc.

The KJV is the Word of God kept intact for English speakings peoples of today. It does not rule out the study of Hebrew and Greek.

Many on these forums seem to be ignorant on many of these subjects and try to put everybody in a "box." example: If you are KJV you must be a Ruckmanite - or lable pastors/churches as calvinists. IFB pastors /churches usually do not discuss how many points of calvain they believe in unless they are cornered by some ignorant slob who just wants to argue and nit pick.

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Morten- you gave a good "poster child" for the major problems of many IFB, including Crown.

Many are KJVonly, pastor dictator, screwed up in the simplest doctrine of salvation (hence not reformed or calvinistic in grace), etc.

17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't want to "hijack" this into another Versions debate, but where does one get a copy of the actual Textus Receptus used to translate the KJV?

I have 6 Greek texts and none are the exact text of the TR.

18. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

I heard Crown College many times, also I know Clarence Sexton through read maginaze - Sword of the Lord several times. Eve, I do read "The Vision" edit by Dr. Sexton, he borrows it from Dr. Tom Malone's maginaze - "The Vision". I do enjoy reading Sexton's maginaze often. Even he enjoyed read Charles Haddon Spruegon's commentaries and sermons too. He often quoted Spruegon's words print in "The Vision" often. I am sure no doubt Dr. Sexton KNOWS that Spruegon was a calvinst before.

Interesting, when I was a student at Midwestern Baptist College under Tom Malone 13 years ago. He sometimes speak on Sprugeon, he enjoys talk about him, because Spruegon's sermons were so great and inspired.

Strange, Dr. Malone KNOWS that Spurgeon was a calvinist.

But, when I took a class about soul winning at that college. We were required to read that book about the soul winning written by Charles Spurgeon!!! Spurgeon does emphasis on witness the gospel is part of soul winning.

Sprugeon's method of soul winning in his time is MUCH DIFFERENT as what present Calvinists are doing.

By the way, often I heard Crown College's strandard and rules are VERY HIGH. I do have several disagree with Crown College on its rule.

Although I highly respect that college and Dr. Sexton. He have big heart for lost souls. His church - Temple Baptist Church in Knoxville, TN is growing because of soul winning.

In my view that Hyles-Anderson College is more beyond worser that Crown College.

HAC controls like as communism and legalism.

In fact, I do read(or notice) Dr. Jack Hyles' fruit, he shows fill of his pride and ego far worser than Dr. Sexton does. I know I cannot judge pastors. But Bible tells us that we should judge, by notice their fruits, not judge on their salvation.

I highly respect Dr. Sexton because of heart for lost souls and he was filling with rejoice in the Lord. Dr. Sexton graduated from Tenneesee Temple University. Often, he invited Dr. Lee Roberson to preach his church. Because he highly respect or admit at Dr. Roberson because of his role, testimony and also fruit too.

I have nothing against Crown College, it does not bother me at all. Because I do believe God is truly blessing that college because the gospel for Christ's sake.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 - Amen!

By the way, I did went to Temple Baptist Church for the revival camp to watch and listen Tom Malone and Lee Roberson preaching there!!! I enjoyed listen them!!

19. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I have TR Greek text on my bookshelf near my computer desk.

None of TR Greek texts? That is interesting!

What are your 6 Greek texts? Please list them for me. [​IMG]

20. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I read HAC catolag and found the quotation in this catolag. I called it, "Big Shot." HAC is grouchy because it criticizes seculiar colleges. If I want to study the medical major in seculiar college, HAC called it, "Devil college." HAC does NOT have medical majors like Doctors or RN.

I do not recommend anyone to HAC. PERIOD!!!!