1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crown College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Kidz-4-HIM, Jun 27, 2004.

1. travis james

travis james New Member

when i came to crown i had heard all of the rumors, misconceptions and exagerations concerning all the different asspects of crown. come to think of it, i was a proud participant in the circulation of those rumors.
    the fact is that you can criticize anything and anyone. you know why? because you, unless there is a circumstance out there that i am unaware of, are human.
    criticism is one of the less admirable attributes of imperfect man.
    i personally detest this and other websites like it simply because it accomplishes nothing other than a place for venting that a bunch of hot-headed fundamentalist and frustrated neos waste their God given time fighting in. it solves no problems it only gives Bible believing Christians more division, not separation, DIVISION, and worse name in the eye of those that need the gospel that we so often neglect to show them.
    but as for crown and dr. sexton...
    you may have the disadvantage of only hearing of the negative stories from people who left, were told to leave, or have never actually been to temple baptist or crown college. but...
    this is a place that bears the fruit of the work of the LORD. maybe youve never seen the bus ministry, the public school Bible clubs, the shelter prison or nursing home ministry, the UT ministry, the door to door ministry, the church planting missions, THE DEAF MINISTRY... for which we recently had a 3-day revival meeting...
    sure there are always critics
    always have been (pharacees)
    always will be (askjo and ps104_33)
    but try arguing with the individual souls that were saved this past week on my bus route
    try aguing with the pastors, missionaries and teachers who are serving the LORD right now while youre arguing with others who apperently dont have too much time on their hands

my advice to you would not be to stop ctiticising my school
    it would be to stop criticising.

"He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit. But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another. And indeed ye do it toward all the brethren which are in all Macedonia: but we beseech you, brethren, that ye increase more and more; And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;"
    I Thessalonians 4.8-11

GOD BLESS

2. Mapipe

Mapipe Member
    Site Supporter

Legalism with Christian living is abnormal because of double standards. My friend, a former pastor, for example, explained to me what he learned. This story was so awestruck. He accepted someone for offering him to visit someone's pastor at his house. He explained to my friend about his pastor preaching against the TV. He said that his pastor told his audience to throw TV out of their house.

He and my friend agreed to visit his pastor at his house. They visited there. His pastor invited them to come in his house. My friend noticed NO TV there in the living room. His pastor told them to stay here and will be right back in a few minutes. He went in other room. My friend opened the door and found the TV there in the closet then closed it. They kept silent until his pastor came back with them. A visitor confronted and asked his pastor, "are you a liar about the TV out of a house?" He denied it. My friend opened the closet door. His TV is there. His pastor was speechless.

What do you think of this true story?

3. Mapipe

Mapipe Member
    Site Supporter

Whoops! Hit the Add Reply button before I finished my post. I had just copied your comment before I could get mine in.

I'm a little confused by your story. That is not legalism that is hypocrit-ism. Legalism is when you say that you have to do such and such to be a Christian. Being in charge of a group of college students and setting standards when everyone comes from a different background is not legalism, it is smart-ism. So you don't agree with the rules, then don't go there and don't knock them.

Now, if they said that you aren't a Christian if you don't follow all of the rules verbatim, now we're talking legalism. I'm probably confusing the issue more--and I said that your reply was confusing! :>)

4. savedgirl63026

savedgirl63026 New Member

Crown College is a great college. I have alot of friends down there. The teacher who is in our school now just graduated from there in 2004. I went and visited last spring and loved it. They have great facilities and great teachers!!

Jamie [​IMG]

5. Kidz-4-HIM

Kidz-4-HIM New Member

travis james: Its great to see you stand up for Crown. I have already been accecpted for this fall, and I just can't wait!!!!!!

God Bless You
    Cline

6. travis james

travis james New Member

Hey Cline,
    make sure to look me up!!!
    there's a couple travis's here so make sure you get the right one -- travis james -- most people will know who you'll be talking about
    i'll be looking for you this coming fall

7. Mr. Taylor

Mr. Taylor New Member

May I just say, Clarence Sexton is a dictator. I had heard that he was like that but never gave it much thought until I saw him in action. It's one thing to be demanding on your staff behind closed doors but it's another thing to assert your authority in public for meaningless reason. More than once he has announced from the pulpit (thousands of people, some of which are unsaved and would never understand any type of possible reasoning behind such actions) that "If such n such is not done by such n such, there's going to be some staff members in deep trouble 'tommorrow' (or such n such). To me, that is nothing more than a power hungry individual who is trying to assert his authority so that everyone is well aware of who's in charge. Don't you think a good leader would not have to always be reminding his followers that he's in charge? I realize sometimes staff members can get out of line, but why embarass them in public when it could be taken care of "back stage", on the phone, through a memo, or a called meeting?

8. Kidz-4-HIM

Kidz-4-HIM New Member

Well, I guess everybody has the right to their own thinking. Me, I believe God is doing a great work though Dr. Sexton. Back to the OP, there has been only one person respond that I wanted to, students of CC,(grads or current). How many of you that have been cutting Dr. Sexton down really know what you are talking about? How many of you have served under him? How many of you have attended the church? May God richly bless Crown College and Dr. Clarence Sexton.

Cline

9. travis james

travis james New Member

hey cline! its me again

(you'd think they'd be done with the "dictator" stuff by now, huh? im gonna go on the baptist history strand and start talking about evolution or something, seeing as how changing the subject seems to be the cool thing to do.)

ANYWAYS

the student ministries here are probably one of the best parts of CC. opportunities everywhere. everything from international soul-winning to bus ministry to nursing home, prison ministry, so on and so forth.
    i guess that's part of the advantage of the school being a ministry of the church in it self. no one is forced to, but many of the students change membership to Temple upon coming to CC. (i personally havent - personal reasons)
    so they naturally gain a connection with the different ministries.
    im in the bus ministry, have a public school Bible club, and sometimes go on door to door visitation.

i guess i said all that to tell you that as good as classes are, this is a college to train people for full-time Christian service. the best schooling that you can get for that preparation is serving in a local church.

i dunno, just letting you know some of my favorite stuff i guess.

if you have any specific questions just ask
    ill try to help as much as possible.

GOD BLESS

10. travis james

travis james New Member

oh yeah
    hey mr. taylor,
    i dont know how to answer your question...
    i dont know if anybody can(especially on this web-site)...

oh wait, yeah i do...

Dr. Sexton

maybe sometime you can ask him why he leads the church that GOD has given him to lead the way he does.

11. Gayla

Gayla New Member

That's great, Cline!
    May God bless you in your time there!! [​IMG]

12. Kidz-4-HIM

Kidz-4-HIM New Member

Thanks travis james!!!!!
    Friday night I got to hear Bro. Pauley in person for the first time, (heard him at chapel over the net before). He preached a great message, there was over 300 teens there, and about 20 got saved!!!!!

God Bless
    Cline

13. Kidz-4-HIM

Kidz-4-HIM New Member

Thank you also Gayla! I'm so excited about what God has for me there.

Cline

14. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I will be there on the weekend. I will visit its church on next Sunday and will visit Crown College for a tour on next Monday.

15. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I visited Crown College yesterday and also visited its church last Sunday. At this church I viewed there. I investigated both of them - pros and cons.

Pros

1. The KJV/TR

2. Friendly

3. Good music

4. Conservative dress

5. Fundamental & separated

Cons

1. Overly luxury facilities -- extravagant!

2. Lawsuit - I can't ask them because I do not think they would provide their comment in public. I found it in FFF board.

3. Drive - back and forth - Chapel and class.

4. Laptop is required in every class.

5. Clarence Sexton and Jack Hyles in pictures together on wall in a new building.

Good news about Crown College is growing -- 900 students -- More than last year!!!

To view Crown College is positive -- better than Tabernacle Baptist College in VA. I felt comfort with it rathar than TBC because TBC has no interest to provide me information what I asked.

Church attendance is between approx. 2,000 - 3,000.

Pray for Crown College and students there. I consider to go there in the future if God willing. Pray for me.

16. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I liked how you laid out your assessment of this college. Ive been wondering what Crown was like, and this helps. Although, one word of caution, I would not rely on info I get from the FFF board. Lots and lots of very bitter, angry people over there. (that's not to say there aren't nice people, there, too, just be cautious)

17. ChurchBusDriver

ChurchBusDriver New Member

Thought I'd throw my two cents in, I visited Crown College in the spring of 2002 when I was trying to get the Lord's will on what to do wether to stay in S.E. GA or go to Bible College(I was getting ready to get out of the Army in August) I heard that they had a good college, and I found out that they had a good bus ministry, and I wanted to check that out as a side tour.
    I was very impressed on how freindly everyone was (where I'm from originally in Penna., the Sunday Morning crowd is as many people as some towns) and the good spirit that the church has, I enjoyed the time visiting with the Bus Captian that they linked me up with and was very insprired by their bus ministry. I was reading Dr. Beebe's books, and didn't even know if anyone was even still running buses like that anymore, and uptil then I never heard of FBC of Hammond and HAC :eek: God got me before the Baptists did :D
    At anyrate, I enjoyed the visit, it wasn't the Lord's will for me, and that's what is important for everyone, only go where God would have you to go. I say God Bless to all those that seek truth, and I wish the best of luck for you all taking that journey.

18. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Yes, it was great because I realized that buses are NEW. I did not count how many buses.

19. dale kesterson

dale kesterson New Member

This thread gives me flashbacks of a online story called Tales from the Temple which I stumbled onto. I am sure Crown College is not as extreme as this college, but the stories were rather entertaining to read at times.

20. IFBChristian

IFBChristian New Member

Hello everyone,

I also am looking at Crown College. An IFB Preacher friend of mine recommended it & it has been advertised in between the pages of THE SWORD OF THE LORD which means if it is in between the pages of THE SWORD then you know it has to be a good bible college. Please pray that if it is the Lord's will that I go to Crown then I will get accepted there. Current Crown Students, feel free to contact me through my profile and share with me your views on Crown