1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crucifixion Happened ON Wednesday

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by antiaging, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE
    I ask for no respect; you may despise me as much as you like. I have a Judge; His Name is Jesus Christ the Righteous. There is not one verse of Scripture on the subject, that does not imply the Lord would and should have been raised on the Sabbath, not even one. I am certainly no great Greek scholar, by any stretch, but I have arrived at unavoidable consequences, consummated in Mt28:1. That verse does not stand alone against all other Scripture, but is found in perfect harmony.

And the plural "Sabbaths" is the easiest of aspects in this regard. It simply is the plural for the singular, and I won't waste anyone's time on explaining something explained masterly by virtually all scholars worthy to be called scholars. see my books where I refer to some of them - indeed the best - one by one.

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

This time I will ask the question directly.

What Scriptures foretold that Jesus would rise on the Sabbath? Nor are there any Scriptures of which I'm aware that "confirms He did rise on the Sabbath". And as the "firstfruits" He would have presented Himself to the LORD (the Father) "after the Sabbath" in accordance with Lev. 23:6, as I've previously stated.

Just "saying this", as you seem to be doing, does not make it so.

Ed

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE
    Sunday.

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE
    Ja, this is what I have written 15 volumes on - which you may read from the web (http://www.biblestudents.co.za). But, "In the beginning God ...." "spake", "concerning the Seventh Day, THUS: And God (not us) the Seventh Day from all His works (not ours) RESTED". If not this verse speaks of Jesus Christ, show me the Scripture that does! For God NEVER 'rested', but rested He "in the SON"; God NEVER "THUS, SPAKE", but "in the SON". If the Scriptures there right at its beginning speaks of God's creating from nothingness, darkness and chaos, to "the Seventh Day" and "Rest" - "The Rest" which is His - it speaks of salvation already -- salvation in and through Christ "in these last days" - the Christian era. First, the word "Rest", already tells me (I pary for and to you the same) of Jesus' resurrection and triumph over nothingness, darkness and chaos, on the Seventh Day. "Therefore", says the Scriptures (not I) "the Seventh Day is the Sabbath Day (the Day of Rest) of the LORD your God".
    I must post now or loose this post ...

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have posted many times on the Scriptures indicating the Seventh Day Sabbath for to be the day of Jesus' resurrection. read them. Read of the first and second giving of the Ten Commandments. Read of Athaliah's reign destroyed on the Sabbath and the Son of the King enthroned. Read of the prophets' emphasis on the goings in and the goings out to be marked well! Read of Isaiah 58 how that Sabbath-prophecy foretells how Christ would but lifted high over all the earth in resurrection from the dead (on the Sabbath Day - yea, even because of His enjoyment of the Sabbath Day). There is NO 'Sabbath-Scripture' that does not first of all apply to Christ and to Him in resurrection and exaltation and glory on the Sabbath Day of GOD'S APPOINTMENT! "The Sabbath was made for Man" - first Jesus Christ the God Man, and ONLY in Him and through Him for us-men! etc. Time to post!

#45 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Dec 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2007
  6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Show me anything like this with reference to the First Day of the week! And I haven't even started with the New Testament. See the one-ness of the Word of God in the Old and New Testaments - and you see the Sabbath God's chosen day.
    I think now of the dating of the New Testament books, what this single factor means for God's Sabbath Day. Don't think Paul's are the last remarks on the Sabbath in the New Testament; don't think of his Letters as the Church's final decision regarding the Sabbath Day. No, the latest books of the Earliest Church should do that, and thos books are the Gospels. If you inquire what the New testament in the last analysis has to say on the Sabbath, dont consult the Epistles for final, but the Gospels! Because they were written years after the other documents and after the church had given much thought to the teachings of Jesus. And what do you find concerning the Sunday in the Gospels? That on Sunday Jesus appeared to a few just like He would for forty days more continue to do. That on the Sabbath He indeed did rise from the dead from which Truth all freeing-Truth flows.

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here with us Christmas has just begun (12 pm), How happy the Church doesn't make of Christmas, a Scripture-thing. So everybody, happy Christmas! See you later!

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Then, case closed. Have a blessed Christmas!

9. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Day of the Firstfruits was the First day of the Week.

The Pentecost was always the First day of the week.

Jesus was resurrected on the first day of the week as the Firstfruits were waved on Sundays..

You have no proof that the Firstfruits day was not the first day of the week.

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE

Yes! No! Yes! No! brings nobody further, Eliyahu. But I have given you the Scriptures, and you have no word in answer. I'll give them again, as short as I can,
    Jesus was buried on Friday afternoon. The Passover lamb was buried on the day before the Day of First Sheaf; So, First Sheaf had to have been on Saturday.
    Jesus was buried on Friday, Nisan 15, 'a Great Day that day was', says John. There was an evening before - when Joseph received Jesus' body and did not let it hang on the tree all that night, but removed it, and that very same day, buried it, according to the Scriptures! These events comprised the whole of Friday.
    The day before, from at the table, when Jesus' hour to glorify God finally arrived, until at 3 pm He gave the ghost, and everybody deserted the scene of the cross .... until the Jews to save face, asked Pilate to have the bodies removed for the prospective day would be their Great Day of deliverance: Friday. So on Thursday Jesus had been crucified and died, and on Friday was buried, and on Saturday raised from the dead again!

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus Christ our Passover is the Passover of God, from God - He is the Institution of it - the institution of the Passover does not originate in the Old Dispensation; God's true Passover belongs to us, Christians, before it belongs to anybody else. Look for its chronology in the New Testament; indeeed in Jesus Christ and His history in fact. "The third day I finish (the works of My Father)" -- these are Jesus' own words, establishing both the Passover of God and the Sabbath Day of the LORD your God. May God help you to understand these things, for my attempts are weak.

12. antiaging

antiaging New Member

Matthew 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
    Matthew23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
    Matthew 23:39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed [is] he that cometh in the name of the Lord.
    That statement in Matthew seems to have been made on palm Sunday. –See the preceeding chapters back to palm Sunday, Matt. 21:9.[Palm Sunday would have begun on Saturday 6:00pm; He could have entered Jerusalem at 6:00pm or shortly after, threw tables over, healed some sick, and then went to spend the night in Bethany. Saw the withered fig tree the next morning and taught all day palm Sunday.]
    Compare to the Luke version:

Luke 13:31The same day there came certain of the Pharisees, saying unto him, Get thee out, and depart hence: for Herod will kill thee.
    Luke 13:32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.
    Luke 13:33 Nevertheless I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem.
    Luke 13:34 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!
    Luke 13:35.Behold, your house is left unto you desolate: and verily I say unto you, Ye shall not see me, until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.
    If those statements were made on Palm Sunday, Luke 13:32,33, then it clearly shows that Jesus would be crucified on a Wednesday; on the third day from palm Sunday.
    What is the third day from Sunday? It is Wednesday, not Thursday.

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

The three days and three nights starts when His body is placed in the Earth. Not when He died. He was dead and off the cross before 6:00pm on Wednesday [which is the beginning of the Jewish high sabbath Thursday]. He was placed in the Grave Wednesday night.
    3 days---Thursday, Friday, Saturday
    3 nights--- Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
    If He died at 3:00 pm, Do you think they could have had an audience with Pilate, took him down from the cross, got his burial wrappings ready and the hundred pounds of spices to bury Him, and wrapped Him up, within 3 hours? It probably took longer than 3 hours to do all that, and He was not in the grave till Wednesday night, possibly close to 6:00 pm or a little later. {which is the Jewish Thursday].

John 19:38 And after this Joseph of Arimathaea, being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly for fear of the Jews, besought Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus: and Pilate gave him leave. He came therefore, and took the body of Jesus.
    John 19:39 And there came also Nicodemus, which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight.
    John 19:40 Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.
    John 19:42 There laid they Jesus therefore because of the Jews' preparation day; for the sepulchre was nigh at hand.

Jew's preparation day, Wednesday. Read about it in detail at that website:

http://www.tne.net.au/~abdaacts/3d3n.html

13. antiaging

antiaging New Member

John 19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

"for that sabbath day was an high day"
    It was the special sabbath of the passover feast, an high day. Any day of rest in Jewish feast days was called a sabbath, no matter what day of the week it fell on. The high day sabbath associated with the death of Jesus was a Thursday.
    Crucified on the preparaton day, Wednesday the 14th day of the month Nisan.
    Followed by the passover and the day of unleavened bread which happened in that year on the 15th day of the month Nisan. That was not the usual weekly sabbath.
    Exodus 12:3 Speak ye unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house:
    Exodus 12:6 And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.

Exodus 12:16 And in the first day there shall be an holy convocation, and in the seventh day there shall be an holy convocation to you; no manner of work shall be done in them, save that which every man must eat, that only may be done of you.
    [That is the first day of the feast, not the first day of the month. The lamb was killed on the 14th day of the month in the evening (which is Tuesday night [Jewish Wednesday] when Jesus ate the passover with the disciples]; Jesus was killed on Wednesday the 14 th day of the month. You see, no manner of work done on the first day of the feast; that is the high day sabbath. It was on the 15th day of Nisan, following the preparation day. Any day of rest is called a sabbath. ]
    Passover and feast of unleavened bread, on 15th day Nisan, Thursday, the first day of the feast, which is a day of rest or high sabbath.

Exodus 12:17 And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever.

Exodus 12:18 In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at even, ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the one and twentieth day of the month at even.

They had the Lord's Supper at night on Tuesday the 14th day of the month [which was the beginning of the Jewish Wednesday]. Jesus was apprehended for a night trial. He was brought before Pilate in the daylight hours of the 14th which is still Jewish Wednesday. They wanted Him off the cross by Nisan 15, a day of rest or Sabbath, making the first day of the feast. [Nisan 15 started at Wednesday 6:00 pm.]
    Go to this website and read about it in detail:
    http://www.tne.net.au/~abdaacts/3d3n.html

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

That is fine, I guess, but that is not why I offered it. It was honest, and my momma always taught me when I was growin' up to respect older people. So I just try and respect all the old guys and gals I meet up with. ;)

Now back to the serious stuff, as much as I'm able to stay awake for.

Ed

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Once again, it is fine to "say it". How about some Scripture that says what you are contending, here? Is that a fair request?

I have looked up virtually every verse I could find in about any 'standard' version that used the words "in the Sabbath" or "on the Sabbath", on Bible Gateway. There are exactly three renderings of the phrase "in the sabbath" in any standard versions, that I found. The YLT and KJV render Ex. 31:15 thusly, and the KJV also renders Ezek. 46:4 in this manner. The NIV, NASB, AMP, ESV, CEV, NKJV, DARBY, ASV, NLV, NIRV, NLT, HCSB, WE, and TNIV never once use this phrase. That is 14 versions that never once use this exact phrase.

Yet most of the 16 versions I checked use the exact phrase "on the Sabbath" an average of about 50 times with a few exceptions, the NLV which renders this as "On the day of Rest" (61); YLT (24) and WE (31).

And I would add two more things. "In the very light of its being", as referring to "the Sabbath" is merely a "theological construct" "from the get-go". There is no such wording even remotely close to this, anywhere in Scripture, to my knowledge.

And not one of the 54 uses of "on the sabbath" found in the version I use, the NKJV, even remotely refers to Jesus and/or a resurrection "on the sabbath", by any stretch. (I checked them all, in their context.) It simply isn't found there and Scripture does not teach this, regardless of what you are saying, or how many you keep saying it, the 15 books to your credit, notwithstanding.

FTR, I have read some of what you have written, but not all 15 books, certainly. It's kinda tough to run a piece of farm equipment, and read a book at the same time, not to mention extremely dangerous.

Sorry, but I will not be able to post any more, tonight. I'm simply getting too tired.

Ed

#55 EdSutton, Dec 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2007
  16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If I take a bit too long, I geth logged off. Have just lost a post on 'epiphohskoushei'

Thanks for your great effort, Ed!
    I'll be back with extracts rather than typed responses - because of this logging-off trouble.

17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Lydingsweek

Die laaste sewe dae in die lewe van Jesus

Voorlaaste optrede in Juda
    Neem die maand Abib waar!
    Op, na Jerusalem!
    Die Neerdaling het begin!
    Aankoms 8 Vrydag
    “Waar Lasarus gebly het”Jh12:1 9 Sabbat “Ses dae voor”
    “Die volgende dag”Jh12:12 10 Sondag 5 ” ”
    “Die volgende dag”Mk11:12 11 Maandag 4 ” ”
    “Oor twee dae gekruisig”Mt26:212 Dinsdag 3 ” ”
    “Oor twee dae Fees”Mk14:1 13 Woensdag 2 ” ”
    Voorbereiding van PasgaJh19:14 14 Donderdag “Voor die Fees”
    Die dag het beginLk22:7 Jh13:1
    Toe die uur gekom hetLk22:14
    Gedurende die maaltyd
    Dit was nag Jh13:30
    Oor DonkerspruitJh18:1
    Plek van die wynpersMk14:32
    Verraai
    Annas
    Kajafas
    Deur sy eie verloën
    Pilatus
    Herodus
    Van Pontius na Pilatus
    Oorgelewer 6 uur Jh19:14
    Weggelei
    Gekruisig die derde uur - 9 vm
    Duisternis sesde uur
    Gestorwe negende uur
    Teruggegaan
    Groot dagJh19:31 15 Nisan Vrydag “Fees”
    Die Jode Voorbereiding
    Josef Hierna
    Die Vroue het gevolg
    Neergelê “namiddag”
    Teruggegaan
    “Sabbats”Mt28:1 16 Nisan Eerste Gerf Beweeg
    Met seël én wag “oggend ná al hulle voorbereidings”
    “Nieteenstaande* laat Sabbatmiddag….

…. OPSTANDING!

18. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Eerste Dag” 17 Nisan
    “Toe die Sabbat verby was … gaan koopMk16:1.
    “Nog vroeë donkerte …Maria sien die klipJ20:1
    Petrus en Johannes
    Diep nag … speseryeL24:1-10
    Petrus verwonderd

Voor dagbreekMk16:2
    Vlugvan die graf af weg”Mk16:8
    maar Maria, het bly staanJ20:11[1]
    sien sy JesusJ20:14
    vir die tuinier aan (sonop**)J20:15
    “Hy het vroeg op die Eerste Dag eerste aan Maria Magdalena
    verskynMk16:9

“Verduidelik[2] die engel aan die (ander) vroue….Mt28:1-5
    “Gaan hulle … met groot blydskap”Mt28:8
    Kom Jesus hulle teëMt28:8

En die dissipels?Mk16:10
    En die wag?Mt28:11-15

Sondagnamiddag en aandMk16:12-14

* “Voorbereidings ten spyte … Sabbats …”Mt27:62-28:4
    **Sonop

[1] Jh20:11-18 pas presies tussen Mk16:8 en 9 in.

[2] Die Opstanding, Mt28:1, gebeur eerste, maar word laaste, “vertel” of “verduidelik”.

19. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Lk23:54, Mt28:1

"epi-phohs-k-ous-ehi"
    'epi' = emphasis, middle, leaning, in, with etc.
    'phohs' = light, day
    'ousa' = being, is (Participle)
    'ous-ehi' = in, with, on (Dative)

=

'opse' = fullness, ending, in, with, on

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You allege Jesus uttered Lk13:31-32 on Palm Sunday, while 31a expressly states, “The same day …”. Now which day was that? It was one of those days Jesus STILL “went through the villages, teaching, and journeying towards Jerusalem”. You will remember that before Jesus’ final Jerusalem-pilgrimage, He first withdrew to near the wilderness to the town of Ephraim – Jn11:54. Therefore John is the much better option from where to start Jesus’ LAST journey to Jerusalem; and in fact John gives us clearest possible indication of WHEN that was, verses 1 and 12 of chapter 12, “Six days before Passover Feast ... the next day ...”

Mk10:32 From Ephraim Jesus started out towards Jerusalem. How long it took, cannot be said, but we do know the arrival was on a Friday, Nisan 8, Jn11:56. Visualise this journey in these Scriptures, Lk19:12, 28, 36, and cf. with Ps71:20, Mt12:40, Ps68:21, 25, 71:20, 85:7 – ‘soodzein’; ‘epistrefoh’, ‘poreuomai’. You will notice a certain descending already here!

Mk11:1-11, Mt21:1-11, and Lk19:28-44 chronologically follows immediately on Jn12:12. If you got this, the rest is very simple! Only follow the time-indications of the four Gospels themselves. It is remarkable how each day is not only recognisable from a definitive evening-beginning, but a clear middle or morning-episode as well as its late-day ending!

I send you a table to this end ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.