1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crucify him?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Benjamin, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (Mar 15:12) And Pilate answered and said again unto them, What will ye then that I shall do unto him whom ye call the King of the Jews?

(Mar 15:13) And they cried out again, Crucify him.

(Mar 15:14) Then Pilate said unto them, Why, what evil hath he done? And they cried out the more exceedingly, Crucify him.

Did the people yelling, “Crucify him” know He was fulfilling prophesy or not?

2. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Benjamin,

I don't think they knew. To have known He was fulfilling prophecy would have been to know He is the Messiah. Many were so busy looking for an earthly, warrior they didn't see Him for who He is.

3. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TexasSky,

I wouldn’t think they knew either, but I was told by a Baptist classic dispensationalist that the reason for them yelling it was because they did know, as Jesus had a great following and they believed He was the Messiah and knew the prophesy.

4. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Ben,

When Christ prayed, "Father, forgive them, for they know not," I'm assumed He was not just praying for the Roman Soldiers, but for everyone involved that day. What is the basis of the dispensationalists view? That, somehow they could force God's forgiveness? Why would they want the Messiah killed if they knew He was the Messiah?

5. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I don't think so. They were listening to their well respected religious leaders and not thinking at all.

6. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was it the Roman soldiers in the crowd that were yelling or His disciples and followers?
    How are you assured it wasn’t referring to the Roman soldiers when He asked the Father to forgive them?

7. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All,

I started this tread because I was curious about why a classic dispensationalist would say such a thing. By the lesson that Pastor Larry taught about progressive revelation that thinking doesn’t fit although I am not sold completely as I take the Berean approach; I never did thank Pastor Larry for the time in giving the lesson, so here you go Pastor.

In the meantime I’ve come to realize I am neglecting my family and responsibilities, the more important things about following Christ and being Christ-like, and I am resembling a person with OCD in my studying and hunger for the Word. I must leave the internet, schedule my studying appropriately and get back to basics. So I want to say goodbye to all, love you, God Bless You and say a little prayer for me if you will.

Ben

8. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

God bless you Ben.