1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Crusader" as mascot

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Libero, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Libero

Libero New Member

What do you think about IFB type colleges using "Crusader" as their nick name?

2. Pronto

Pronto New Member

I have been told that to Muslims this is very offensive. But I have seen it used in the US many, many times, even at Catholic schools.

3. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I don't think it's a good idea! The k-12 Christian school I went to had a Crusader as a mascot. He was painted on the wall of the gym, oddly enough wearing Roman armor. I'm sure he would have gladly trampled any peasant foolish enough to get in his way.

4. Libero

Libero New Member

It makes sense for a Catholic school to have a Crusader mascot, but for Baptist. . . Sometimes the problem is exacerbated by the desire to have a "spiritual" mascot. Some of the most ungodly athletes that I competed against in college came from a school nicknamed "Preachers". It wasn't the greatest for female athletes either.

Some baptists don't want to be seen as giving in to political correctness, but I think it is about ecclesiastical separation and historical accuracy. It is an issue that is not worth offending anyone over.

5. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Yes, being strictly historically accurate I think the Crusades were carried out more for political and economic reasons rather than godly reasons!

6. Libero

Libero New Member

I'm not sure if the Crusades had any redeeming features. Soul liberty definitely was not a distinctive. [​IMG] I have seeen schools with that nickname referred to as "Jerusalem Raiders" on a couple of secular sports boards. ..

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is a one of the times some of these schools were founded or the time their founders grew up in. Remember there was a time when no one blinked an eye:</font>
    • when an organization titled itself Campus Crusade for Christ
      or</font>
    • a ministry styled its efforts as the Billy Graham Crusade
      not to mention</font>
    • taling about the great Billy Sunday evangelistic crusades</font>
    Today in 2005, such a nickname is not in the best of taste. My question is

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would name my team for an animal, most likely.

9. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Crusades had some redeeming features, though not intended. It shocked Europe to find out that Islamic civilzation was so advanced, and it transmitted some Islamic science and other learning to a backward Europe and helped lead to a redscovery of the ancient classics. (Although the conquest of Spain probably had more impact.)

Whether the crusades were primarily political or religious depends upon the crusade; the earlier ones were toward the latter, the later ones cynically toward the former. What is amazing (or not, considering one's viewpoint) is that the "Christian" West did so little to help the "Christian" East, which (aside from Spain) bore the brunt of the Islamic advance.

The papacy, and westerners in general, seemed not to notice when Venice sacked the last "Christian" stronghold in the East and lifted not a finger to help fellow "Christians" under the rule of the Ottomans.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think about IFB type colleges using "Crusader" as their nick name?

I would not use that title as a nick name. However anyone who is offended by that title needs to grow some skin. People are too easily offended in our society and I think we are at a point where people need to be given a clear choice: Learn to take the heat or get out of the kitchen! Just because someone does not like something does not mean that they should impose their view on everyone else. Again personally I would not use the title "Crusader", but not out of fear of offending someone. Rather I would not use the title because I don't want to be seen as endorsing the horrible acts of the Catholic Church.

Just my two cents!
    Martin.

11. Petrel

Petrel New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]I'm fond of the Click Beetles, myself. :D

12. Libero

Libero New Member

Martin wrote:
    "Again personally I would not use the title "Crusader", but not out of fear of offending someone. Rather I would not use the title because I don't want to be seen as endorsing the horrible acts of the Catholic Church."

I definitely believe that this is the best argument against the Crusader nickname. However, we do need to recognize the cultural attitudes toward the name. I don't mind taking public ridicule over the name Baptist, fundamental, etc. because they are not politically correct, but the name Crusader is not worth fighting for.

I think that the best nicknames are animal names or mascots having to do with something near the school. Our school has a railroad track that goes right by our fields. Trains often pass in the middle of a game, they are so loud that they sometimes affect the outcome of the game. I would like to see us look at having a nickname relating to the railroad.

13. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

When I read the topic title, I was wondering what the catch was. Why would anyone object? People need to grow up. The crusades have been over for hundreds of years. Deal with it.

14. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

You can't name your school after an animal. Animals are people, too! It's demeaning to animals.

The best name to name your school is "Christians." No one cares if you demean them!

15. Libero

Libero New Member

Pastor Larry,
    The Nazi's have been gone for a long time, how about a nickname called the SS? I know that is an extreme example. . . Maybe a better one is the Mongols? How about the Ninja's?

The catch is that the Crusades were a Catholic undertaking where individuals encouraged conversions at the point of a sword and conquered lands for the pope. This seems to be something that IFB's would not want to identify with.

There just seems to be better options out there. If the nickname Crusaders does not offend, it seems like it may be a little embarrassing to an IFB.

16. Libero

Libero New Member

Several schools have gotten rid of this nickname in recent years: Crown College (MN) and Wheaton (IL).

17. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The Nazi's haven't been gone for a long time. There are still many Nazi groups and Nazi sympathizer's. If someone wants to be the Mongol's or Ninja's I don't really care. Ninja stuff was huge a few years ago ... Remember hte Ninja Turtles?

YOu want to tell us how long ago this took place? Why isn't that coming up in this discussion? Having a mascot that is a Crusader doesn't identify anyone with what Catholics did long ago.

I don't know of any who are. As I pointed out, the name "Crusader" is not offensive. I would be willing to bet if you asked one hundred people on the street about it, you would have an offended rate of somewhere less thatn 5%.

Could be.

Why would it offend? Or be embarrassing? I think the statute of limitations on this offense ran out about 800 years ago. You might be one who includes some later junkets and say it expired 300 years ago. By a conservative estimate that was about 8 generations, probably closer to 20 generations. You really think we need to live that far in the past, talking about something taht affects absolutely no one today?

The fact that someone is actually thinking about this is disturbing in and of itself. There are real people in this world with real problems. And we are talking about this nonsense.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I think there are FAR more important issues to be concerned about than a school mascot.

19. Libero

Libero New Member

You're probably right. . . [​IMG]

20. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I'm still going with Crown College Christians!