1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Culpability

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Cypress, Dec 4, 2012.

?

Why do humans need redemption

Poll closed Dec 14, 2012.
  1. Because of what we do

33.3%
  2. Because of what we are

66.7%
  1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

The Bible tells us precisely what sin is:

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Sin is the violation or transgression of one of God's laws, so how can any person be a sinner until they break or transgress one of God's laws?

You can't be born with sin, you must break God's law to be a sinner.

3. Cypress

Cypress New Member

4. OldRegular

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I voted because of what we are, i.e. we were made sinners. Thus, even though we had done nothing good or bad, we were conceived in iniquity, condemned already for unbelief. Now certainly we can store up more wrath by volitionally sinning, i.e. dig a deeper pit in hell. But "A" comes before "B" and "1" before "2."

The trick or disingenuous facet of this thread, attempts to link culpability to the need for redemption. That dog will not hunt. Culpability goes with our volitional sins and thus brings about our punishment for our deeds. However, we need redemption from the bondage of being made sinners from the get-go.

6. Cypress

Cypress New Member

7. Cypress

Cypress New Member

Van, I appreciate your answer. I don't agree with it,as I don!t agree with inherited(original) guilt. When is the get go for you, at birth?
    As far as a trick or disingenuous aspect to the question, it contains neither. If you feel one needs redemption before one sins, just say so. If not, vote otherwise.

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Too late, the stereotypical DoG proponent demeanor of yours, which serves to display your disingenuousness agenda to in fact actually deliver your personal attack, as well as the means of doing so through passive aggressive behavioral tactics, have already observed for their true intensions.

:cool:

9. OldRegular

Benj

I suggest you diagram or parse the above combination of extraneous words and see if they constitute a sentence. You are so enamored of your ability to string words together that you wind up chasing your tail. You be careful and don't stop suddenly. That is, you make sure your tail gives your head ample warning!

10. OldRegular

We do what we do because of what we are! For you, Cypress, that means we sin because we are sinners. We need redemption because of what we are, Sinners. The rest of the OP is meaningless fluff!

11. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, OldFar…errr…Regular, your comments reminds me, did I ever tell you about my friend I once had who was a very Calvinistic/Determinist/DoG/Whatever they want to be called today, pastor.

He’s no longer around though now. It seems he got caught up in an adulterous affair with the church secretary and this was going on for some time, although many were becoming suspicious. Finally, the suspicions spread and rumors reached his wife. When he got home that day he got into a huge fight with his wife and ended up hitting her so hard that she died.

Later, after he had been found guilty and was about to be sentenced the judge paused to ask him, “What was going on in your mind when you found out you had killed your wife?” Apparently, the judge didn’t take it too well when he said, “I was thinking WHEW, I’m glad that is over with!”

:laugh::laugh:

12. Cypress

Cypress New Member

OR,thanks, that was a straight answer to a straight question:thumbs:
    Many feel we are culpable for what we are at birth.

13. Cypress

Cypress New Member

There is no "GOTCHA " moment attached to the OP in case any are yet leary for some reason.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) If you do not agree that by the transgression of the one, Adam, the many were made sinners, then your view is questionable.

2) As I said, the get go begins with conception, not birth.

3) I did say scripture teaches we need redemption before we volitionally sin. Thus my vote agrees with scripture.

4) Culpability is not why we were made sinners, conceived in iniquity, but because we were made sinners and conceived in iniquity we need redemption from conception.

5) We were not made "guilty" nor did we inherit guilt. But we were "condemned" at conception because of unbelief. Now we were not condemned because we were culpable or guilty, but rather as a consequence of Adam's sin. Sinners are separated from the holiness of God, and because Adam was separated from the holiness of God, the result was all mankind was separated, thus made sinners.

15. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traducianism

Are there any that would attribute their opinion on the matter of the pole to be influenced by Traducianism or their opposition to it? I don't recall hearing anyone argue for this idea (at least not by this title) but it seems reasonable that either way someone's opinion on the question of the pole would be informed by it.

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

I disagree, Jesus NEVER speaks evil of little children, but only good. Jesus does not call little children unbelievers, but believers.

Mat 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus said we must be converted and become as little children to enter the kingdom of heaven. Is Jesus saying we must become wicked lost sinners to enter heaven? Absurd.

Mat 18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Did Jesus call little children unbelievers? NO, he said they believed in him.

Mat 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Jesus said little children have personal angels which always behold the face of the Father. Is Jesus teaching that wicked lost sinners have guardian angels? Again, utterly absurd.

Jesus did not teach that little children are lost wicked sinners, he taught the very opposite.

17. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

You're so eager to defend your heresy you don't even comprehend the part of the text YOU highlighted. "who believe in me". Not all children.

The wicked are estranged from the womb; They go astray as soon as they are born, speaking lies.

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

18. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I would say stupidity but I won't because that might be construed as a personal attack. Now your OP is: "

At least no one in the Bible ever used a personal attack...

I could wish that those who trouble you would even cut themselves off!

Alexander the coppersmith did me much harm. May the Lord repay him according to his works. You also must beware of him, for he has greatly resisted our words.

Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith; but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was.

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

Did Jesus say we must be converted and become as THESE little children? NOPE. Jesus simply said we must be converted and become as little children to enter the kingdom of heaven.

This shows Jesus was speaking of ANY little child.

Maybe you should study a little more carefully before you label others as stupid. Now you have to remove your foot from your mouth.

Edit- And by the way, you can't use hyperbole to teach doctrine. There has never been a child born that can speak lies right away. If you know of such a child you should show them on TV, you will make millions!

And to go astray as sheep means you were at first in the flock. You can't run away from home unless you are originally at home.

#39 Winman, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2012
  20. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

:thumbsup: