1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cults and versions

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Sep 27, 2004.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are SNAKE-HANDLERS in my neck of the woods. In fact, I useta work with two of them. To my knowledge, they use only the KJV, as did those with whom I worked.

We discussed their doctrine one day, and when I explained from the KJV about "tempting God" and that it meant deliberately placing oneself in danger and DARING GOD to NOT protect them from that danger.

To keep it short, I asked them if they believed God will protect them from hell, and they agreed. So I suggested they jump into a ladle containing 100 tons of molten steel; since God would keep a rattlesnake from biting them, and since He protected Shadrach, Meshach & Abednego from a furnace burning with wood and bitumen, they should believe He would protect them from the molten steel, which isn't quite as hot as Nebuchadnezzar's furnace.

For some strange reason, they said I was a nut, refused my suggestion, & walked off. Soon after, they both resigned from the steel mill, saying it was too "worldly".

Again, I emphasize the KJV is not discredited because some wing nut decides to use it to start yet another cult...nor is any other valid BV discredited because of who uses it.

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Good point, Robycop.

Apparently their faith is limited to rattlers which may or may not bite you. If handled enough, they won't unless provoked.

And when one is bitten, their answer is that the victim's faith was not strong enough.

The same goes for the groups who will not take their children to a doctor until they are dead, only to get the death certificate signed.

I do not think we have a right to demand anything from God. We are the sinners here, not Him. His was a gift, through His Son.

I like the pot of steel comparison.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, these people don't realize gifts and protection provided by GOD are a PRIVILEGE, not a RIGHT, provided by God as HE chooses, not THEM.