1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Culture in CHina -- It differs from the West!

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by His In China, Feb 20, 2006.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mike, in Japan, a rich country, we deal with this all the time. I'm sure you've heard of the Asian idea of "saving face." I find I have to be extremely careful about offending the Japanese. Actually, this makes most missionaries to Japan very polite people! Is this your experience?

2. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

I wish it were my experience, however, there are some missionaries that just do not get it. You would think they went to John Wayne the Baptist Bible College, you know what I mean? On the whole we Americans are very arrogant people. I am ashamed sometimes the way we treat those from thord world countries. We think we are so much better than them. We treat them differently. I intentionally used the first person so that I would not be accused of spewing poison at others. I try not to be this way.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mike, in Japan it is so difficult to reach people that we find ourselves falling over our feet trying to be nice to the people to get them to listen to us. As one of my colleagues says about methodology here, "You fail your way and I'll fail mine!"

There are a lot of "ugly Americans" here though, as per that novel of the 1960's. To paraphrase Pogo, the great philosopher/comic character and my role model, "We have met the ugly American, and he is us!"

But you know what? The most arrogant visitors we ever had here in Japan was a couple of missionary ladies from a third world country!

4. His In China

His In China New Member

Here's some more info on how the Chinese think when they hear about Christianity. Probably in Japan and Ghana there are similiar attitudes.

Of course when the "Ugly American" shows up, who is blind to ministering the Gospel "cross culturally", he/she feels that they have the ultimate power to proceed in a completely Western approach which is so offensive to the rest of the world.

Americans have lived in a Christian bubble for so long that if someone from other regions of the world just happens to think differently, than they are backwards, barbaric, liars and they need to catch up with the rest of the world.

This attitude identifies and marks Christians in such a way that we've become ineffective in witnessing. Over the past ten years, we've seen really good people come from the states. They could of easily pastor any average Baptist Church in the USA. However, here, they totally lose it. Why? It always falls back to cross culture issues.

Below are some Chinese attitudes when confronted with Christianity.

The most common attitudes towards Christianity are:

1. To respect but to stay away – “jing er yuan zhi” – This was Confucius attitude towards supernatural beings. Respect: because to most Chinese, Christianity is associated with “love to all people”. Stay away: because they believe it’s unscientific, it’s only for uneducated people.
    2. Cultural curiosity – “haoqixin” – this means a cultural interest, and not and heart interest.
    3. Strong attraction or interest – “weiwu zhuyi” –they “feel” that there is something special sacred (shensheng de) and powerful in Christianity that they have seen nowhere else.
    4. It’s hard to understand – “hen nan lijie” – why in the world do millions of people believe in that stuff? What pushes those people to be so zealous (qiancheng).
    5. Don’t push religion down my throat – “dui xinyang sheme you fangan” or “have a repulsion against believing in something” because of the Cultural Revolution where Mao’s thought was forced on people’s minds. This is one reason why you shouldn’t “push” a Chinese to make a decision or accept the Lord; if you try, you might push him/her away from the truth.
    6. Only a minority holds any views on religion – “fan zongjiao” (anti-religious” - no matter what religion). Only a small minority holds such views, usually it’s those who are the most westernized. For them: religion equals obscurantism (mengmei zhuyi); Marx was not wrong when he said “religion is the twin sister of ignorance”.

I hope this will help more to understand China.

5. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    hey! you might be describing the mission field here as well! (like among the chinese here, specially the older generaion.)

But do you think among the younger generation, they're too caught up with themselves or love material goods and money and the new age lifestyle to think about God?

6. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the american missionaries who have the heart to work with the peoples of asia, i don't think i've met a single one who's arrogant. They come with an understanding that the world is bigger than the USA and other cultures and attitudes exist.
    (Thank God for that! I thank God for the many Americans who are willing to GO.)

The most "ugly" American i met in the ministry was not a missionary but someone serving the Lord from out of the States. It was his first time to this region and to my country and he informed me (albeit jokingkly) that my name sounded like how they call out to the pigs back home. Wow, like that was culturally insensitive. :rolleyes:

He was redeemed by an american missionary to Laos (and married a lao-atian). When i told him my name, he said "aw, that means beautiful in Lao." (Actually, in Chinese, it means simple, delicate flower. That's what my name means...)

So i told him of my other encounter concerning telling an American my name and he apologised on his behalf and said remarks like that coming from an american, he's not surprised...

And about the hungry ghosts festival i talked about in the preceeding post. I mentioned that on this board before and the responses i got from americans were like they thought i was talking about Halloween or something. [​IMG] Like people going about to play spook or something fun like that. They don't understand that chinese ghosts are different from the english ones. [​IMG]

7. His In China

His In China New Member

Su,

Young people ever where are caught up in the electronic gadgets and gizmos, gotta have this or that, and it has become the what's new today generation.

The devil is quite good at keeping everyone’s eyes busy on worldly wants. Satan's tactic in the Garden is no different for us today. Eve "saw" and we "see" even more than just fruit on a tree.

In today’s reality, God can't compete with the "fast moving" electronic gadgets, flashy movies, and violent/erotic TV. Young peoples minds are no longer captivated by a good book or story.

Even in America today, if churches do not have gyms, pizza nights, weekend jam, or other activities, children and teens will not go to church. They wonder, “Why sit and listen to a boring man tell me that I’m a sinner, God is good, listen to your parents, and I need to think more about tomorrow then today”.

The whole world’s ethic system has become an individual, self-promoting; it’s my right to have my own opinions and who is anyone to tell me any different.

So really China is no different then my home in the USA. With that in mind, how does one reach anyone in a world that has gone crazy? Easy, by presenting truth to every one, but not with harsh tones or condemnation that will make an individualistic person defensive. Step by step, they need to see who God is and why he exists and what his plan is for the world. This can take time, but the average Christians, who are witnessing, want to get to the sinner to pray the prayer way before their heart is actually ready to accept salvation. We actually scare them off by pushing them to quickly. If they see who God is and who they are, they will desire to pray the sinner’s prayer. If they don’t see who God is and who they are, and you push them to pray, they will run.

The principles of sowing and reaping, I Corinthians 3 are very important. The average Christian in America needs some good guidance in sowing and watering. God always gives the increase if we are faithful to sow and water.

8. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I promise i'll try to take some pictures this year's hungry ghosts festival and post them here... [​IMG]

9. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    hello! [​IMG] I've visited China only once. Been with an underground church there and I was truly moved by the people's hunger for truth and for the Word of God.

After so long being kept in the dark, the light surely shines brighter!

There are many China migrant workers coming to Singapore and we are trying to reach China from here. Pray for us.

The younger generation in China grow up in a very different setting than their parents. The one child policy has changed family dynamics so much. Most of them are spoiled rotten by the six adults at their beck and call.

And then there's the opening economy. Chinese people have become very materialistic, (like being taken to a banquet after having been starved for days...).

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had not thought of this, Su Wei. I can see a little of what this would do to the society. Thank you for sharing it.

11. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acually, sir, that was pointed out to me by one of the brethren of that church i visited in China! :eek:

I noticed it too while i was there. Kids get away with murder. The anti-social behaviour they exhibit is taken very lightly by their adults. It's even viewed as amusing and adorable.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Su Wei, the interesting thing is that we see this in Japan, too. Japan does not have the one child law that China was, but the average Japanese family has only about 1.5 children. And they mostly don't believe in corporal punishment anymore, and it was even outlawed in the schools about ten years ago, so kids here get away with murder, too. Very sad.

13. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    well, i read in the newspapers about violent crimes happening in Japanese schools. Maybe outlawing corporal punishment in school was a reaction to that?

Some sicko teachers punish their students the way their soldiers tortured their captives in WWII. I remember one about the teacher slamming his student's head in the school gate as a punishment. :eek:

But you know what? I thank God here in Singapore, i have the freedom to spank my children without the fear of getting arrested. And Corporal punishment is still practiced in schools (for boys)... and, my teacher husband is one who is authorised in his school to cane offenders.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From all I have read about Singapore, it sounds like one of the best places to live in Asia! Well, the Lord in His wisdom called me to Japan, instead. The people here need the Lord just as much as anyone in Asia, of course. [​IMG]

15. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh... but singaporeans always think about the big houses in Australia.

The five room flat (three bedrooms each just big enough to put a double bed and wardrobe and leave you barely enough space to walk) i own with my husband can buy us a bungalow house with four bedrms, two baths, garden and back yard in Perth, Western Australia, 4 hrs away by plane.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know how it is, Su Wei. We lived in Yokohama for 13 years, and could never afford to rent a house. Buying a house in Japan is out of the question, since banks won't give us a loan without permanent residency, and they don't give that to missionaries!

Anyway, we usually rented a four room apartment--tiny rooms, too! Our last apartment there was a little bigger, but we paid $1500 US a month for it, including a parking place three blocks away! :eek:

Is it about like that for you, His In China? Up here in Hokkaido, Japan's frontier, we rent a nice house for much less.

17. His In China

His In China New Member

We are "tentmakers", which means we come in on a teacher's visa. The school is obligated to provide an apartment. However, the apartment is usually not fit for human occupation.

China has gotten better, but in the early 90's when we first arrived, it wasn't uncommon for the Westerner to live in an apartment with no curtains, no a/c or heat, a single eye gas burner, no refrigerator, and the bathroom had a squatty potty, with mold creeping up and down the walls. Power outages and water shortages were the common. We had to store water just to flush the toliet and sometimes to take a bath.

Today, they at least provide Western toliets, curtains and A/C for at least one room and a double eye gas burner.

Most teachers coming in, have no choice where to live since you are hired by the schools to teach conversation English. Your visa is provided by the school so you are always at their mercy. If you happen to live off campus, the school could revoke your visa if they ever thought you were not trustworthy.

After ten years of living here, we've been offered the opportunity to live off campus at some nicer apartment areas and the rent there ranges from $250.00 to $400.00. I'm not in Beijing or Shanghai and there you might be paying double or triple what I would have to pay in my present location.

Cost of living in some of those larger cities can be expensive but probably no where as high as Japan.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a lot cheaper than I thought it would be there in China! It is so incredibly expensive here, but it is getting better because of the long Japaneses recession. We have a lot of 100 yen stores and 2nd hand stores nowadays.

God takes such good care of us though. Even when the dollar was at it's weakest, every need was met, one way or another.