1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

curious answer to "types of calvinists"--educate me!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, Aug 26, 2014.

1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I posted a bit back asking if there were different types of Calvinists since some at my church find in Calvinism a strong joy, and others seem to find pickle juice to suck on in their Calvinism.

My asking around seems--just my impression--that it depends on the end times view they hold. The post, amil, and historic pre mil folks seem to be the happy ones. The pickle suckers seem to be holding to a dispensational pre mil view. But within that view some are still happy, others not so much. The not so much tribe seem to have bought the idea of mid or post trib rapture.

Now this is purely subjective evaluating on my part, just listening as folks discuss things and as some answer my questions when I ask. I don't even begin to know if one's end times views normally have an effect on how joyous you find your faith.

But I'd sure love to listen if some of you want to discuss this!

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My fathers family Nodak were all Calvinistic.....mostly Methodists though. They were all the nicest most pleasant & generous people Ive ever met & very connected to the church. But then I can say the same for my Italian & East European families as well.

But listen, if you were truly saved in the Calvinistic Methodist Church you were joyfilled. You had gone through a period of reflection....you'd most likely be burdened by your past sins & the regeneration process of the Holy Spirit was not to be taken lightly.....so you were VERY born again when you came out the other side. Then there was the church service, the community of believers & the singing....oh , the singing. These people had spirit, joy & exceeding love. Id recommend it....though I aint no Calvinist:laugh:

3. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I think you are noticing a genuine difference between people about Joy, but perhaps attributing it to the wrong things.

The truth is, many different Christians from every theological persuasion are joyful, and many others are not, and I don't know why.

SOME dispensationalist can get very unhappy and downer about the world's depravity...while other are joyfully looking forward to Christ's return.

I would simply be careful about attributing it to one factor.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    don't know if I'll be able to express this correctly.
    but, joy is an inner emotion, a state of mind, if you will.
    the apostle Paul, writing his epistle to the Philippians, is said to have been in stocks.
    that is, bent over, head and hands protruding from holes in a wooden contraption fixed to the floor.
    given prison conditions in those times, I doubt he'd agree he was a happy camper.
    yet, his Philippian letter had joy and its various forms, as one of the keywords.

now, as an adherent to the Doctrine of Grace, I am not happy all the time, but there is joy all the time in my heart because Christ found me worthy of Him, and gave me something I do not deserve, joy.

does it make me feel special ?
    no.
    I know who I am, who I was, and I know my failures, and my inclinations to sin, and weaknesses.
    not happy with myself.
    but there is joy, nevertheless.
    it is this joy that helps my heart when singing the songs of Zion, and listening to the double-edged word of God, even if it cuts right through me.