1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Current State of Race Relations in America

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Andy T., Nov 5, 2008.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Just asking: What do you think the public reaction would be if 95% of whites had voted for McCain, like 95% of blacks did for Obama?

Also, what do you think the public reaction would be if many White people were telling black people that they were racist if they didn't vote for McCain, like black people are telling white people that they are racist for not voting for Obama?

Just asking, that's all.

Ponder those questions and then think about where we at in our race relations here in America.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

And your motive for just asking is?

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you have valid questions, but on the other hand I do not fault the black portion of our nation voting for Obomba. That in my mind is quite understandable - overlooking the knot heads that didn't even know what his positions were :laugh:

On the other hand I personally find it just as amazing, if not more so that America voted into office a man called Barack Husain Obama (Sorry if that is mispelled :) - in light of all the terrorism of the world. We are indeed open minded as a whole :thumbs:

AND NO I am not insinuating anything :saint:

4. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Why do you need to know his motive (as if implying he some ulterior motive for asking)? Is intellectual curiosity (just asking) not a clear "motive"?

5. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed. I think you should be proud that America is growing up out if its immature and racist past to be able to elect a man who has a name and skin colour of Obama. I think the rest of the world is amazed at that fact and I see it as a sign of American world leadership to cause the rest of the world to pause and look hard at their own dark areas and prejudices.

#5 Gold Dragon, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2008
  6. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

I think that while Blacks are proudly proclaiming how far they've come, many are showing how far they have yet to go. Winning a vote, getting a job, being successful is truely an acheivement when it is based on abilities and readiness and opportunities are offered and accepted without regard to race. But whenever race is of influence..... then no matter who you are or what color of skin, you've thrown something into the mix with which others of different race cannot compete........... and it is just as racial and bigoted as ever, no matter who does this!

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hypothetical question with no meaning. Why? Because it has never happened and never will happen.

I believe asking the purpose of the question is valid. I have been ask my purpose of a topic or question in threads I started. If it is fair for one person to be ask, it is fair for another person to be ask.

What was your real purpose in asking?

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the cause of rcial equality was doing well until affirmative action set it back by a couple of decades.

If a President Obama practices race based politics, as I believe he will, the cause will be set back another generation.

9. targus

targus New Member

I agree.

Well before this election I did not accept the notion that America is anywhere as near racist as liberals and minorities in this country claimed.

And I am tired of hearing opinons concerning the state of race relations in the U.S. from peoples of other countries where a minority of any stripe has yet to be elected to national office.

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Exhibit A on the current state of race relations in America: You can't even ask a question about race and be challenged about your motives.

11. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, like I said earlier, I have been challenged on much lesser issues. One that comes to mind was when I started a thread on whether Jesus was an Extrovert or an Introvert.

12. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

My purpose? To discuss it. To think about it. I realize it is a hypothetical question - it was intended to be. But I think you can imagine the public reaction if the above scenarios were true. Meanwhile, we have scenarios that are actually true - 95% of blacks voted for Obama, and many of them are calling whites racist for not voting for him. We know what the reaction would be if the roles were reversed, so why is there this double standard?

Here is what I think: I believe American white culture (although not a monolith, but in general) has gotten past the whole issue of race. I believe most whites have realized and accepted MLK's dream of looking at the content of one's character and not the color of his skin. Yes, there are still a handful of neo-Nazi kooks out there preaching their white supremacy, and yes, there is still soft racism out there, but all of that is in the vast minority among American whites. Great strides have been made to realize MLK's dream these last 40-50 years.

However, I do not see much progress in black culture. Now hear me out - I am not saying that blacks are inherently racist anymore than whites were inherently racist 100 years ago - it is a culture thing that is fluid. And I also realize that many blacks do not fall into this trap. But I do think that a significant portion of black culture has bought into the victimhood mentality and reverse racism and total lack of forgiveness that has been perpetrated by the race-baiters on the left. So this is our new American race problem - the fact that a significant number of blacks simply will not vote for a white man if a black man is running against him, and that they have an "us vs. them" mentality against whites in general. The old-line racism of whites hating blacks is mostly gone. But I think it is clear that blacks hating whites is the new challenge we face in our race relations here in America.

That's what I think. Now you are free to tell me why I am wrong, but please do so respectfully and without in turn calling me a "racist" for even trying to discuss the topic. Thanks.

#12 Andy T., Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
  13. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good, logical, rational answer. Thanks, I appreciate that.

14. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I wonder why President Obama can be called an African American alone. What about his white mother? I guess she doesn't matter. Or at least that's the way it seems. The numbers just don't seem to add up here.

15. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have pointed out to people here that Obama is half white. But those who opposed him never pointed out that fact, and many probably would not accept it ... though for the life of me I can't understand way.

His mother was quite a woman and very intelligent. It does not matter if we like her lifestyle or not. She was an intelligent woman. She should not be forgotten.

Yes, Obama is part African American and part white. Not sure which European countries his ancestors came from.

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It's kind of funny... my mom and I both have naturally 'tanned' skin due to the European side of our family. I lived in Indiana, Florida, and Tennessee and I was always a 'white' person.

10 years ago we moved to Mexico as missionaries and now we are in South Texas in the ministry and all of the sudden I am 'Hispanic'. :laugh:

Great thoughts, Andy T!