1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Da Bulls and basketball in general

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by thjplgvp, Jan 14, 2007.

1. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Well I have kept quiet for a few weeks concerning basketball but it is time to get warmed up.

I wonder if da Bulls would like to see Curry or Chandler in their line up? Big Ben’s rebounds are a little less then his career totals and his blocks are down from his career totals but what is not easily seen is that his defensive rotation is not eve close to what it once was it would seem from watching the last few games that he is rotating on a calendar time frame while the players are operating on a 24 second time clock. No one seems to be opposed to taking the ball to the hole against the Bulls and right now Ben’s name is keeping him out of foul trouble but that is not going to last for much longer. His slow rotation is going to start costing the bulls more and more of his services until late in the game.

Me thinks I might have been wrong counting out the Spurs early on and wonder why they do not pursuit Webber to the max even going over the salary cap for a one year or perhaps two year run. His passing skills would be cherished and his defensive liability would be protected by super Duncan who still knows how to rotate.

When will basketball fans acknowledge that Jerry Sloan or Gregg Popovich are perhaps the best coaches in the NBA and that Flip Saunders and Brian Hill are perhaps the worst coaches in the NBA at this time? I am well aware of Avery in Dallas and appreciate him teaching those boys how to play defense but really he has not had to build a team from scratch and therefore his true coaching ability has yet to be challenged. Look at his bench, what do they average per game 10 points?

Is it time to dismantle the Nets as they have the 76ers? It would seem so.

Can anyone remember a year in which so many good players have gone down with injuries? Odom, Lewis, Redd, Williams, C. Paul, Peja, Pierce, Shaq (ugh), Richardson, Ming, Sczerbiak, Simmons, and Villanueva.

Thjplgvp

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Nope. They are quite happy with their team right now.

For the whole season his numbers are down. However, the last 6 weeks he has been playing great. His rebounds, blocks and steals are back up where they are usually and he has been contributing to the offense too. It has just taken awhile for him to adjust to his new team.

The Spurs will be good as long as Duncan can contribute at a high level.

No doubt Sloan and Pop are great coaches, and probably the best 2 coaches in the game right now along with Phil Jackson. However, I wouldn't put Avery Johnson far behind that group. He did not have to build a team there, but he completely changed the way they play.

I don't like the Nets, do dismantling them is fine with me. Anytime the Nets and 76ers are done is a good thing to me.

3. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I dont think that either the Spurs or the Mavs pursued Webber for two reasons. The first is chemistry - not that he uses:) but the internal team chemistry could be upset by a man that wants min coming into already established teams that both have plenty of offensive firepower. The second is that for all webbers offensive prowess, he is a defensive liability - the mavs have been there done that and have no ring to show for it. the spurs, who helped mold avery's coaching philosophy probably didnt even consider him.

The Mavs have really impressed me - Dirk is taking his game to a new level, very unselfish and working hard on the defensive end of the court. there have been several games that they should have lost, including in toronto a couple nights ago (they had been on the road, and played 5 games in seven or eight nights, the toronto game was a noon start, they fell behind early all that good stuff) and still wound up with a W. The Mavs are playing great team basketball this year - all this after an 0-4 start to the season.

Phoenix is playing great currently, they scare me. Utah started off great, but have now lost four in a row and are only ten games over 500 - still a great turnaround from last season.

the west is killing the east this season - but I do like the bulls. I think that they are on the road to great success - it may still take them a year, but they did beat the spurs last night!

4. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

The mavs bench is being a bit unfairly malined - they are playing it very safe with stackhouse - they are following the spurs model to make sure that he is ready for the post season and are really limiting his min. That bench is playing some great D however. Come the post season, the mavs bench will be scoring us there with the rest - with a healthy stack getting plenty of pt!

I would agree that the spurs braintrust is probably the best - the mavs though are close behind. Avery's boys have really bought into his philosophy. Three years ago under nelson, defense was less than an afterthought, under avery they are one of the best.

Pop is fortunate to have gone from the admiral to duncan, dallas is counting thier lucky stars to have dirk. Other than Dirk the rest of the core of the dallas team has changed under avery - including losing a two time mvp Steve Nash.

5. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Jimmy,

I did see where George and Stack had a pretty decent night but that has to continue for them to be truly effective. The second team has to score while in the game.

I still think C Web would have been a ggod fit for SA. Bowen and Duncan could have covered for his lack of defensive prowess and he would definatley hadded to their scoreing and boards. I like Oberto but hew is still learning the American style.

Will Dallas trade A. Johnson before the trade deadline? And if so who do you think might be the recipient of said trade?

thjplgvp

6. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I agree the East is a mess right now. They have eight teams that could win the eastern title which is a mockery of the game. The scarry part is that the Knicks could end up winning it. On paper they have everything they need including a deep bench. Marbury, Curry, Fry, Jeffries, Crawfor, Richardson, Lee, and Robinson. Skill at every position and the ability to run. Wow who woulda thought.

Ny, Orl, Wash and five or six teams from the central east. They may not be high powered but Toronto could end up being right in the mix over there.

thjplgvp

7. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I dont see a trade in the Mavs near future - the chemistry thing is just going too well, and Johnson seems to be accepting his role.

The small lineup worked well for the mavs last night - got Mutumbo to the bench and tightend the screws on T Mac - after he went off for 41 in the first three qtrs, could only manage 4 in the 4th. George and Stack played big roles and made big shots.

I still think that against lesser teams, you will see Dirk and Stack sit more to be ready for the post season - though I think they will fight for home court throught the playoffs and will have a tough battle with phoenix.

I am amazed the mavs have a 4.5 game lead over san antonio

Dirk is making a strong case for MVP

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

NY is not winning the East. There are several teams that have a legitimate shot, but NY is not one of them.

If the season ended right now, they would not even make the playoffs at 17-22 going 5-5 over their last 10 games.

They win their games against the bottom feeders in the Atlantic. They cannot hang with Detroit, Orlando, Washington, Cleveland, Chicago, etc.

9. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

What are your thoughts on the trade between Indiana and Golden State? Could be a good trade for every Jasekavevious could be a sleeper for GS.

SBC You are right about if the season ended right now , but it does not end right now they are not even half way through. I think they could be player in the long run and that is necessarily a testimony to Isaiah coaching ability as much as how weak the East is. We will see as the year progresses.

thjplgvp