1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dance Routines in Worship?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Phil310, Jun 7, 2006.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

And the NT warrant for using a piano during worship is found in .....?

2. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Again, the act of worship is not confined to the NT or the NT church.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, my daughters are part of a worship team called Daughters of Zion. It is a group of young girls - 13 to 17 years old who assist in leading worship with tambourines and some dance. There is a scripture and reason behind each and every move they do. One of the biggest things that the girls are taught? You're not doing it to 'entertain' the congregation or to draw attention to you but to worship God in spirit and in truth. They do not face the congregation but the front (although they do turns here and there) and it is absolutely beautiful to watch these young girls worshipping the Lord - although, again, it's not for our benefit but for the Lord's. They are held to a very high standard since they are in ministry and they take their work very seriously. I understand that some people are not comfortable with creative arts in worship and that's fine. It's just important for people to discern what's their preference and what's wrong in God's eyes (not saying that 'rsr' feels that it's wrong - I just quoted the 'it doesn't do anything or me' to let them know that it's not supposed to do anything for them - atleast not our worship team.) :D

Annie

4. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I went to a dancing church one time. The girls were dancing and the boys were liking it. Biggest bunch of fakes I've ever seen. That's my story and I'm stikin widit.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, what kind of dancing was it? See, our Daughters of Zion (DOZ) girls wear this:

[​IMG]

There's not much to get excited about! LOL!! There's no skin showing except hands and head with some neck but not even to the collarbone! LOL!! It's a 3 piece set - blouse, skirt and coulottes AND they have to wear white tights (not stockings but tights) with white ballet slippers. LOTS of clothing that would please any conservative Christian - even the headcovering/dresses only Baptists! (the headcovering because they also wear crowns with a ribbon veil down the back) We're not a headcovering/dresses only kind of Baptist church but that's how the girls dress - just wanted to point that out.

Also, the girls do not so much dance (well, maybe a hop or two) but more move the feet here and there - step forward for one pattern, put a foot back for another pattern (and a pattern is usually 16 beats).

So, no guys necessarily 'liking' it around here! LOL!!

#25 annsni, Jun 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2006
  6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hello Annsni, yes that is a beautiful gown and appears to be very appropriate. Looks like you've got me on that. If the dancing is refined, patterned, and conceptually expressive, maybe I could live with it. But I remain very cautious about any form of entertainment in church, especailly dancing. For certain, IMO this wriggling about in fits that most people do and call it dancing is not to the glory of God.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think you'd really like the dance that they do. It's beautiful, glorifying to God, VERY much makes me think of the Old Testament dancing and tambourine worship that must have gone on. It's DEFINATELY not wriggling around! LOL!

Annie

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

JD, I pray the day will come that you will be touched by the spirit. It is a beautiful thing.

9. gekko

gekko New Member

any sort of sexual movement during dance - that i do not like - it looks retarded anyways - and is wrong. just plain wrong.

any other kind of dance: like freestyle - im game for that!