1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dancing in Church

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Alive in Christ, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I thought I would post this here, to get a wider range of christian *flavors* than in the baptist only forum.

Here are a couple of excerpts...

Here is the entire article....

http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-dance.html

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So far as I know there is no mention of dancing used in worship in the New Testament. Nor is there mention of music used in worship in the New Testament. Does that mean that the method of worshiping God changed from Old to New? Possibly, since many other worship methods changed.

Also, the article cited said nothing about dancing 'in church', just dancing in general.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think most people know where I stand. :)

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wait'll I tell Wifey her Dancing With the Stars is sin!:laugh:

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I grew up in a Southern Baptist culture where dancing was frowned on. There was an old adage, Baptists don't smoke,drink, dance or chew or go with girls who do. Back in the olden days (my youth) it was called round dancing (as opposed to square dancing).

Attitudes toward dancing appear to have softened among modern Baptists. I haven't heard a sermon on dancing for decades. And my college alma mater, a conservative Baptist university held its first sanctioned on-campus dance about eight or ten years ago. As a student at this same college 30 years earlier, I watched the girls taking phys ed disguise what was mild modern dance by calling it "rhythmic exercise."

One Baptist pastor told me one time, I can see nothing wrong with two people standing six feet apart shaking.

One of my former pastors noted that dancing is basically a sexual exercise, and thus quite appropriate for married couples. His view was, in the privacy of your home, roll back the rug and let the good times roll.

Some evangelical churches have developed what they call "liturgical dance." It's the biggest nothing I've ever seen. It convey no Biblical message that I can detect, and I can see no way that it promotes worship. It looks like modern dance clothed in a religious context. That's subjective, of course.

The hip-thrusting, pelvis-pushing, purposely erotic stuff I can do without. But I do confess I like to watch tap dancing and the Fred Astaire/Gene Kelly/Cyd Charisse stuff. It was more elegant than erotic.

6. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, as long as all you do is stand....:smilewinkgrin:

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL *I* do. No one wants to see an overweight middle aged woman dancing. **SHUDDER**

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would rather they dance at church than many other places I can think of.

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Didn't King David dance nekkid during a worship event?

One commentary I read said David was dancing so hard his ephod fell off and he didn't even realize it. He contends that David was so caught up in the dancing he was oblivious to anything around him.

All I know is that it ticked off Michal, his wife.

I do not recommend we use this as a supporting scripture for dancing in church.

#9 Tom Butler, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
  10. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

That's like saying "I would rather they get drunk at church than many other places I can think of." What a load of manure.

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your opinion.

Kids are going to dance. Better at church than other places. Why you could even have a "Dance for Jesus" party.

By the way, I don't dance, nor drink, nor dip snuff, nor smoke. :laugh:

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

Yeah...instead of dancing...we had HAYRIDES!!

THAT'LL tamp down the evil "lust of the flesh"...:eek: :D :D