1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Darby's Translation and Dispensationalism

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Smyth

Smyth Active Member

Thank you. It's settled then. Revelation says the things in Revelation are on/upon the church, not that the angel is testifying to John in the churches (which make no sense, as the angel testified to John on the Island of Patmos, away from the churches). Darby is wrong.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alas, once again your lack of Greek knowledge has tripped you up. In Rev. 22:16, word "you" is ὑμῖν (humin), which is plural. So the message is not to John "in the churches" but to the people "in the churches."

Once again, Darby translated correctly--that is, unless you think the verse talks about people sitting on a church building--which would be problematic since there were no church buildings then and ekklesia never referred to a building anyway! :D

You know, if you have enough interest in NT Greek to keep posting about it, even posting the Greek words in Greek (instead of transliterating), surely you have enough interest to actually study it and get things right. The above plural you,ὑμῖν, is really quite an elementary point. The personal pronouns are in Chapter 9 in David Alan Black's beginning grammar, the one I teach from. The students learn in halfway through the first semester. So get to work, find yourself a Greek course and come back when you've studied it enough not to make basic mistakes. I mean this kindly. :)

#22 John of Japan, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me say here that there is a missing element in this thread, and that is the timeline. For someone to say Darby translated his NT with a dispensational presupposition, the question must be answered: When did Darby become a dispensationalist? Was it before or after he translated the Scripture?

The problem with this? You may have to read Darby's writings first, which are turgid and boring and very obtuse. I've never read them and I teach a course on it! And I don't follow Darby's ecclesiology in particular, but other of his teaching and methodology such as his brand of Zionism. In fact, according to Frank Mead's Handbook of Denominations (6th ed., p. 70), the only group which really follows Darby are the Brethren I group, which “does not accept members from other groups unless and until they renounce all affiliation with those groups."

4. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Darby's translation is available for free on Olive Tree....just FYI

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1