1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dating a Luthuran...

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Biblethumper, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Biblethumper

Biblethumper New Member

Any thoughts? I'm not dating a Luthuran...yet =) He is saved, and that's the most important thing, but what about everything else they believe?
    I would just like ya'll opinions. I can't really say that I will heed everything you say, but I will hear you out.

2. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Your dating a "person" Biblethumper, keep it at that. See what developes. Labels just separate us as better then the other. Know each person by their fruit. Is this person kind, loving and gentle, compassionate? If so have a wonderful relationship and see what comes of it. Never know. Gods not a respecter of persons.

God bless

Seth3

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

No problem,

Yet should you go to his church and go forward to communion table, you may be denied communion if they dont know you and that you have been through there process of being prepared to take communion.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well for starters, Lutherans do not pratice immersion. They only sprinkle. So lets say, you do marry this wonderful person. First, what church do you attend? Then lets add children to the family. Will you be pressured to have the child sprinkled? Your profile indicates you believe in immerision.
    In addition a Lutheran worship service is very liturgical. I might also add that many of the denomations are also part of the NCC.
    Bottom line is I can fellowship with any Born-agin Christian. It would be great to have, say a non-denom Bible study at work. There are so many things to agree on, but when it comes to a local church, I think it is very improtant that a husband and wife are in agreement on the major (and most minor ) doctrines.

5. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Biblethumper,

If you see people as people, and they believe in the Lord, if they are walking in love thats all that matters. We all have different understandings at every point in our walk as we grow. Don't let "sprinkling" get in your way. Against Love there is no law. The pure religion of God is walking in love expressed by Paul in taking care of Widows and orphans. Don't let ceremonial washings applying only until the new order of things be a big thing.

We are so capable of swallowing a camel to strain out a gnat on issues.

God Bless

Seth3

6. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was taught that you shouldn't date someone that would not be a good mate, because you never know what will develop. ;) You would then have to decide what church to attend as a couple, yours or his. I don't know that I, as a Baptist, would be comfortable going to a church where they teach that baptism MAKES one a Christian, and gives you the gift of the potential for faith, or that Confirmation gives one the gift of the Holy Spirit.
    That's why I'm glad I married a guy from my church - none of that stuff was or is an issue in our marriage. Marriage has enough issues.

7. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Actually, I've found that this perception isn't universally correct. Here in Minnesota, there are many ELCA churches which practice both sprinkling and immersion. They will often call sprinkling "traditional baptism", and baptism by immersion simply "immersion baptism". As an example, here is one ELCA church not far from where I live. Notice the Baptisms section:

http://www.hosannalc.org/pages/lifeMinistries.html

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I've found that this perception isn't universally correct. Here ... many ELCA cchurches which practice both sprinkling and immersion... [/QB][/QUOTE]

Maybey so, but churches that accept sprinkling, (even if they also immerse) still practice an non-bibical mode of immersion.

Seth: there are several difference between Baptist and other denonimations (including Lutherans). I only mentioned sprinkling beacuse that was simple example to explain.

Debbie of PA, put it best, marriage has enough problems without adding differences of religion (or words to that effect)

Salty

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I would never suggest dating anyone you would not consider marrying. Denominations DO matter when you think of marriage. [​IMG]

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Better than meeting someone in a church, is meeeting someone within the context of a group of Christians who are serious about growing, making disciples and sharing their faith.

Do not assume that everyone you meet in a church is a growing Christians and will help you to grow should you marry them. The best proof of possible growth in the future is seen in past growth.

The best person you could marry, is one who will help you and encourage you to be all that God has called you to be. But marriage is not so much about looking for the right person as it is about being the right person.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The important thing is if a person is saved. Outside of that, I wouldn't be able to make any comment without information about the many other aspects that involve a relationship.
    The interpretive determination of whether sprinkling is biblical or not needs to be left to Biblethumper, not us. I'd hardly think that a difference in what is overall a somewhat trivial matter scripturally is worth excluding someone for the purpose of dating. However, each person needs to make that determination for him/herself.

[ November 22, 2004, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Johnv ]

12. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

I'm with Johnv.

God bless

Seth3

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

One thing we never learn, is that we never learn from history.
    Billy Graham used to be a fundamental Baptist and preached the gospel: the straight and narrow way.
    He married a Presbyterian, and became accomodating.
    He now has a message of inlcusivism and commitment. His message no longer includes the true Biblical message of repentance.
    It is important to marry, not only one who is saved, but one who believes of like faith just as you do.
    DHK

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Agree with DHK. Our daughter married a Catholic and now they are nothing. :(

15. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Well my hubby wasn't saved when we got married. His mother is a Methodist and he went to his grandmothers church occasionally which was a Church of Christ. At the time we met I was going to a Baptist church and asked him if he could take me to church.......2 years after we married and him going to the Baptist church he was saved and baptized. We are going on 18 wonderful years. So I don't think religious/doctrinal differences has any thing to do with rather a relationship or marriage will work or fail.
    Just ask the feller if he'll take you to your church then let the Lord work from there. ;) [​IMG]

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

You were fortunate. That's the exception not the norm. Often such marriages end up in great tragedy.
    DHK

17. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Yep, but Paul said...........
    1Co 7:13
    And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

But even if we were unequally yolked at first.....with the Lord in the relationship theres one more soul for the kingdom, because he didn't mind taking me to that little Baptist church. ;)

18. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

I'm married to an unbeliever 15 years. He is often my "way out" alot. God actually shows me that His law is written in hearts as through my husband loves me like no other. Though he rejects christianity as it is displayed among many he does not reject Christ in me. I'm thankful to see Gods goodness and protection through my own husband and even in obedience to Him (as unto the Lord) My husband has through his headship provided a wonderful loving enviroment to grow in the grace and love of God and bloom right where I am.

My hubby does not allow me to go to church (I'm thrilled about it now)

In Him

Seth3

19. donderro

donderro New Member

My nane is Don I am a Luthern. I am born again, the Lord died for all our sins. When he had the last supper he didn't say. Take this all you Luthern or take this all you Babtist he said Take this all you. He was talking about all belivers.If you want to get to know this person that your dating better. Do it as you pray for God,s help He will direct your heart.It,s all about LOVE and thats what is important in God,s eyes.It really doesn,t matter if you are sprinkled or Babtised with immersion it all in the name of The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit. Amen..God Bless you in your walk.

20. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Amen Don I SO AGREE!!!

Christ died for people not "denominations".

Its all about "love" on THAT DAY Amen!

Notice on that day when he says When I was sick, Naked etc. You did something for him. The ones who were castaways were those "looking to do unto specific people" but MISSED THE LORD in doing it.

When did we (((NOT))) SEE YOU and NOT do these things for YOU?? When you did NOT do it unto the least of THESE MY BRETHREN you did not do it unt me.

The "others" seemed shocked, "Lord" they say, "When DID WE SEE YOU and DO these things FOR YOU"

They did not know nor were aware at all when loving the Lord and doing these things unto Him that they were doing it unto Him (completely unaware)

The first ones WERE SURE and shocked that they were NOT doing unto the Lord Himself seems like they were SURE that to whom they served were of the Lord Himself. He had quite a little surprise for them now didn't He?

God bless Don, I'm with ya.

In Him Seth3