1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dave Hunt has no escape

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by bbas 64, Jan 24, 2008.

1. bbas 64

bbas 64 New Member

2. KJVkid

KJVkid New Member

Tit 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, The bald guy just doesn't get it.

3. standingfirminChrist

The bald guy is James White.

The end of the video, Mr White failed to tell people it was several years between Dave saying he did not know much about Calvinism and saying he had studied the books.

Truth of the matter, Dave Hunt did not put himself in a mess. Mr White is trying to put him in a mess by clips of videos.

If he showed the whole show of each segment, viewers would see it was not as James White wants his viewers to think.

#3 standingfirminChrist, Jan 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  4. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

I have read What Love Is This and Debating Calvinism....James White met his match with Dave Hunt. The format of the book Debating Calvinism was very well laid out and as far as the debate is concerned, Dave Hunt presented his denial of Calvinism with solid Biblical teaching. James White on the other hand, was very arrogant and frankly very boring and dry in presenting his affirmation of Calvinism. He used more eisegisis than exogesis in his arguments. As far as James White debating Dave Hunt in a live debate, I don't believe another debate is necessary.

So therefore, from what does Dave Hunt have no escape?

5. bbas 64

bbas 64 New Member

Good day, standing

Off to get the .mp3 of the radio show, which Dave stated he has not read any of the reformers I have not have time.

Then will find his show some 7 months later, in which he said "see the many..many books I have read by leading Calvinist both past and present"

In that time frame 7 months it is not possible to read very much on the subject.

Calvin's institutes in 7 months, I think not.

In Him,

Bill

6. standingfirminChrist

Depends on the amount of time one dedicates to study and how much they can read in a day.

I have read books of 400+ pages in as little as three days, so I have no reason to doubt Dave's claims to have read many books.

I just checked. Calvin's Institutes is 1800 pages. Would not be a hard task for an avid reader to read over a two to three week time period.

100 pages a day would be less than 3 weeks.

#6 standingfirminChrist, Jan 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  7. bbas 64

bbas 64 New Member

Good day, Linda

Eisegisis where Page number please. Remember Eisegisis is not a form of agumentation.

The fact he has never read the reformers my his own words, and writing a book on the subject some months later. I do not think a debate is going to happen given a radio show I heard with James and Dave, btw Dave did not know James would be on the progam Dave's attitude and failure to answer direct questions was quite :tear:

I would like to see Dave debate, Piper,Mohler, Sproul or Phil Johnson on the subject.

In Him,

Bill

8. bbas 64

bbas 64 New Member

Good day, KJVkid

And the (Bald guy) James White says what about this text??

When is the last time Jesus appeared to u?

In Him,

Bill

9. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

The passage isn't about Jesus appearing...it's about the grace of God appearing.

:)

10. bbas 64

bbas 64 New Member

Good Day, CowboyMatt

Agreed.

Is not God's grace, gloriously show to men in the person and work of Christ?

In Him,

Bill

11. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Anouncement! Call all missionaries home! The Gospel of grace has been given to ALL men inclusively! No need for missionaries any more. No need for the great commission etc..................... (sarcasm)

12. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

James White is becomming a disturbing person to me. I read a book of his about the KJO controversy which seemed well done. Then I read about his review of Norm Gieslers book"Chosen But Free', only to find white did'nt even give the book a serious reading and just gave the typical kneejerk calvinist response. How shallow and dishonest. Now this. It seems James is not a man to be trusted.:tonofbricks:

13. bbas 64

bbas 64 New Member

Good Day, PlainoldBill

Did you read Chosen by God by Sproul, before reading Chosen but free?

The Potter freedom is the book in response by White, I would suggest it is not just a review but a whole book. Have you read that?

I wold image White did review the Book at some point in time. In writting TPF there is little doubt that he had to dig into the book by Giesler.

Knee-Jerk Calvinist response :laugh: I like that!

Sort of like C.H's response to Hyper-Calvinism in his day :BangHead:

In Him,

Bill

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

When Dave Hunt referred to not reading all about what the reformers had written, he also referred to reading the Bible. He stressed that doctrine comes from the Bible not from the reformers. I respect that position.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen...and if more calvinists would just take that approach instead of holding up their heros on such a high platform, there would be many more "ex-calvinists".

16. bbas 64

bbas 64 New Member

Good Day, Webdog

That will be a temporary state as we will all be "calvinist in heaven"

Calvinism is nothing more than a nick name for the Gospel....

In Him,

Bill

17. bbas 64

bbas 64 New Member

Good Day, DHK

That is fine, and I have no problem with his assertion. I find it baseless given Dave Hunt's abilty and commitment to deal with what calvinist truly believe because he does not know.....

Dave really needs to sit down with the text and learn much...... IMHO

In Him,

Bill

18. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What mess would that be? Dave hunt has already debated this with White.
    MB

19. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

First of all, the Gospel has NO nickname. The Gospel, as stated in 1 Corinthians 15:1-5:

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

1 Corinthians 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

1 Corinthians 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

1 Corinthians 15:5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:

In addition the Gospel is the "Power of God unto salvation"

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

There will be NO "Calvinists" in heaven, unless those "Calvinists" are true born again believers. We will be "perfect" in heaven, with NO nicknames attached.

1 John 3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

The Gospel is and will remain "the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth", until Christ calls us home or we get raptured to be with Christ forever.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Opinions are like nostrils :)