1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David Axelrod: A surprising request from Justice Scalia

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Though I felt Scalia made some bad decisions I never disliked him. This short story only makes me respect him more.

From: http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/14/opinions/david-axelrod-surprise-request-from-justice-scalia/

And then our conversation took an unexpected turn.

Justice David Souter, Scalia's longtime colleague on the court, had just announced his retirement, creating a vacancy for President Obama to fill. Scalia figured that as senior adviser to the new president, I might have some influence on the decision -- or at least enough to pass along a message.

Justice David Souter, Scalia's longtime colleague on the court, had just announced his retirement, creating a vacancy for President Obama to fill. Scalia figured that as senior adviser to the new president, I might have some influence on the decision -- or at least enough to pass along a message.

"I have no illusions that your man will nominate someone who shares my orientation," said Scalia, then in his 23rd year as the court's leading and most provocative conservative voice. "But I hope he sends us someone smart."

A little taken aback that he was engaging me on the subject, I searched for the right answer, and lamely offered one that signaled my slight discomfort with the topic. "I'm sure he will, Justice Scalia."

He wasn't done. Leaning forward, as if to share a confidential thought, he tried again.

"Let me put a finer point on it," the justice said, in a lower, purposeful tone of voice, his eyes fixed on mine. "I hope he sends us Elena Kagan."

2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

5. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I find it very amusing to hear the democrats evoke the Constitution now on the "rules" of governing.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it interesting that Justice Scalia used the principles of textual criticism in his methodology of interpreting the American Constitution and Amendments... original intent of the authors was the guiding force.

Antonin Scalia and the conservative revolution [LINK]

Today, constitutional theory orbits around Justice Scalia. Even though his tenure on the Court is not characterized by a string of landmark majority opinions, his demanding intellect, rigorous theories, and provocative writings sparked a revolution in constitutional law. His adherence to the written law and the Framers’ understanding drove a stake into the heart of the Warren Court’s jurisprudence. In its place, he constructed a newfound respect for the democratic process, judicial restraint, and a Constitution of enduring meaning.
    Rob

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    scalia.png

• Like Like x 2
  8. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very sad news, Scalia was a great man and he was well-liked - even Ruth Bader-Ginsberg is all upset over the news of his death.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1