1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David VS Goliath? SBC President Nominations

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Thousand Hills, May 18, 2014.

1. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

To understand the politics of the SBC, we need only be reminded that it is a good ole boy network which thrives on cronyism and nepotism.

I love my home convention, but will have nothing to do with it outside giving to CP. Though I, and many of my peers, hope for the best for the convention it is in the hands of people who are in office by virtue of who they know and who they are related to.

Good to see someone running who is from a rural and small church. They are the backbone (and entire skeleton imho) of the convention. We would be better off if leaders from these churches were part of most major positions.

3. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Yes. :thumbsup:

Don't know much about the other guy other than what was said in this thread. The whole "firetruck" baptism thing puts me off big time. But Dr. Mohler has recommended him, and I trust his judgment of the man's character.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=92157&highlight=ronnie

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After the way Floyd spoke of those who opposed the GCR I will have nothing to do with him.

I have had conversations with Moore and would not vote him dog catcher either.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like that a rural guy is running. Rev, who would you like to see nominated? I know nothing of Moore and don't care for Floyd.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would love to see a rural guy run. I know a couple of guys I would be glad to see run. No one most folks know. Chances are Floyd will get the vote. Moore is one of those cagey cals. I don't care if a cal is pres but not one of these so called "New Calvinists". It looks like I just do not have anyone to vote for. I don't know I may hold my nose and vote for Floyd. I am not sure.

I lost faith and trust in a lot of top named guys during this GCR deal. The whole thing was not above board.

In the end I just need to pray about it who to vote for.

#6 Revmitchell, May 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
  7. thisnumbersdisconnected

I'd have to agree, Rev.

Several years ago, before we called the pastor we have now, our search committee sought out Floyd. His church was bigger than ours, while our church was hurting from a personal feud between the former senior pastor and the music minister. Attendance and membership had dwindled from nearly 1,000 to just over 350, and was threatening to nosedive further if we didn't find someone other than pulpit supply.

Floyd was affable enough, enthusiastic it seemed, until the discussion of our vision and his vision began. We are a church in an affluent Kansas suburb of Kansas City, Missouri. We have a tremendous mission field in our own backyard, but even then, Floyd was firmly "world vision," that is (not the mission organization) but outreach to the world rather than right here at home. I have a heart for the world, too, but a dollar sent there could better be spent at home to bring our own citizens to Christ, in my opinion.

I believe missions spending should be 60% domestically, 40% internationally. I may be wrong about this, but it seems to me the dollars spent overseas should go farther than dollars spent here. That's nothing more than a gut feeling, and if someone wants to point out how I'm wrong, I've no problem with that. But our own people, our own country, has drifted away from the Gospel foundation upon which it was built, and we desperately need to return our nation to Christ. The only way to do that is one soul at a time.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Currently it is 51% internationally and about 20 something % nationally.

9. thisnumbersdisconnected

Yes. I have a problem with that. Am I wrong about the international missions dollar going farther? I really don't know. As I said, just a gut feeling.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for answer

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is now a third candidate being nominated.