1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DaVinci Code

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Sep 5, 2005.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Johnv, the writers of Raiders of the Lost Ark, the Omen, etc. did not assert that what they were presenting was true as does Brown. He has a notice in the front of the book that I mentioned earlier.

I think you are wrong on this, John. This book has already affected people. I get emails from people who cite things from this book to try to disprove scripture and Christianity since Brown does refer to real things such as the gnostic gospels (already touted by scholar Elaine Pagels who has singlehandedly caused an increased interest in the gnostic gospels with her own books).

Apparently, I am not alone in my concerns, either:
    Darrell Bock, a So. Baptist, and many others have even taken the time to write books in response to The Da Vinci Code , not to mention the many articles that have come out on it as well. And I don't think we've seen the full impact until the movie comes out.

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

This book is not just a breeze in the trees. It is a swirling tornado that is causing havoc, even in the so-called Christian community.

The Da Vinci Code became a number one best seller because of its contriversy, not because Christians have made a lot of noise about it.

The movie will be packed out and will cause more confusion. Just think of the youngsters who will see it; who are not yet Christians or weak Christians...the effect can and will be devistating.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Don't forget that Lahaye believes his "Left Behind" series to be the real deal, and so do many faithful Christian people. It's still fiction. Perhaps we should have been more concerned with Left Behind than we were. It certainly would have given the voice greater credibility here.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Don't forget that Lahaye believes his "Left Behind" series to be the real deal, and so do many faithful Christian people. It's still fiction. Perhaps we should have been more concerned with Left Behind than we were. It certainly would have given the voice greater credibility here. </font>[/QUOTE]Having not read the Left Behind books, I can't really comment on them. But my understanding is that they do not attack Christ or Christianity.

The The Da Vinci Code is an outright attack on Christianity -- and on Christ himself. It includes and promotes actual anti-Christian beliefs that are out there in the world.

I don't see a comparison between Left Behind and Da Vinci Code from this angle. One is fervently anti-Christian, the other has some views with which Christians disagree, and those are 2 different things.

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Marcia, I have to agree 100% on this one. Apples and oranges.