1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deacon Getting a Divorce

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by GBC Pastor, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

I may seem a bit liberal on this but I have seen too many Baptist churches act like a bunch of rabid pharisees on the issue of divorce. It seems that Baptists can forgive alcoholics and drug abusers easier than a divorcee.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do you think that a man who is currently going through such a life change as divorce should still be serving the church? Do you think that this situation fits with 1 Timothy 3:12? We've had deacons step down for a season of their lives when needed. One case was a daughter who became pregnant out of wedlock. Another was when the wife struggled with depression. A third was when he had a child who was in rebellion. In each of these cases, the man needed to focus on his OWN home rather than the service of the church. If we cannot manage our families, how can we manage the church?

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I wonder why we would consider a person who has a pregnant child and a wife with depression to not be "managing" his or her household. Depression is not due to a lack of "management," and a pregnant child may not be either.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No, but where is their responsibility?

5. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

It would be a matterr of prayer. Without knowing the details, I would be remiss to force a move in either direction. perhaps the best solution would be to meet with the deacon and one or 2 others (! from each camp) to discuss the situation. It should be done with compassion and an eye to what is Biblical and best for the whole congregation. If he was "wronged" ie. she wanted to be with someone else... then i personally would not reccomend a longterm prohibition from service, but a shorterterm time to heal. If he was abusive or mutual cause ... then perhaps longer term prohibition would be called for.

Cookie cutter solutions are rarely the best.

#25 j_barner2000, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2010
  6. PeterM

PeterM Member

Even as this process moves forward carefully and prayfully, it seems to me (sitting up here in the bleachers) that a policy needs to be in place prior to situatoions like this happening. Establishing some guidelines that the church develops and approves can be extremely helpful as they set the policy and procedures in advance of situations like this cropping up.

7. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Paul instructs Timothy in his first epistle to him on deacons in Chapter 3.

1 Timothy 3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

For his wife to file for a divorce, it is obvious that he was unable to 'rule his house well.'

Also, since he is being divorced, he will no longer be 'the husband of one wife' as he will no longer have that wife.

I would say he must step down.

8. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

So divorce has become the unforgivable sin I see....................

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Who said that? Everyone here has said that this man can later serve as a deacon but he has bigger fish to fry right now and he should spend some time with the Lord and working to get his home in order. I don't see anywhere here where someone said that he should be tossed out of the church.

10. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very true. What a good idea. :thumbs: Hindsight is always 20/20!

11. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I agree with your point, but there is a wide range of events that can necessitate this.

My feeling, as well, is that these things do not disqualify a person from a position of leadership.