1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deacons - Part II

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Aug 19, 2010.

?
  1. Once elected or appointed - it is for life (w/good behavior)

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. No more than 10 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No more than 6 years without a break

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Only 1 term of 3 years

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. Re-elect every year

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. At the pleasure of the pastor

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  7. Other answer

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a very good discussion going on about the deacons - should there be a chairman, should they govern, should they be called a board, ect.

Well, now lets talk about how long they should serve.

Is your answer based on Scripture requirement, or more "common sense"

#1 Salty, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2010
  2. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I must admit, I could go several different directions on this poll.

First, I could be persuaded that a Deacon is appointed to a certain task or a series of tasks. Some churches have a deacon of finance, a deacon of grounds, etc... Those who believe this take Acts 6 as the deacons were appointed to a specific task.

Secondly, some take the office as a long standing office in which they act as an overseeing board of several areas. This is the traditional view of deacons.

Finally, deacons are also seen as a leadership role.

If I were to choose the first, I think they should be a deacon of that role as long as they are (1) receiving continual appointment from the Pastors, (2) the job exists, and (3) they are able to do the job.

If I were to choose the second, I think they should regularly review their fitness for the office with the help of the Pastors.

The final one, well, I am not a fan of that position.

3. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I keep in mind that not all Deacons are leaders and not all leaders are Deacons.
    Also, all Deacons are servants and not all servants are Deacons.

One should not be put in a role of authority or leadership just because he is a Deacon nor should all roles of authority or leadership require that it be held by a Deacon.

Just my thoughts

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The Bible gives us no guidance about length of service. So I say, lifetime.

But, deacon rotation is an idea that I can support, as well.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, because there is no scriptural guidance as to length of office it's up to the local church and/or the pastor and is usually spelled out in the by-laws.

HankD

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do 3 years and then a break of at least one year. Like all else have said, there is no scriptural reference about time served (the year off is for good behavior :tongue3: )

But since our Deacons are servants, they never really quit being servants. They just stop meeting. Wow, lucky guys!

7. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

In Michigan we voted every year for all elected positions except pastor.

8. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Scripture gives qualifications for both a pastor and a deacon. There is nothing mentioned about a pastor being limited to a certain number of years, so I don't see any reason for a deacon to be limited either.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do agree basically, but let me ask you the ? this way: If you were writing the Constitution for your church, how would you indicate how long a deacon could or should serve?

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Even deacons? Hmm, that's an interesting practice. I can actually see an upside. You can get rid of deacons-gone-bad. How's it working? Have you had deacons who failed to win re-election?

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two years then if he agrees and is affirmed by church vote then he could serve another term. Repeat every two years.

HankD

12. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

g

I voted "other answer" because I feel the church should elect the Deacons based upon their calling to the position. A church I used to be a member of used to have Deacons serve 3 years then take a one year break. I liked this rotation.

13. tony2tall

tony2tall New Member

Deacon Qualifications

Below is list of qualifications for Deacons in my church.

Qualifications of a Deacon
    The office of a deacon is an office for service to Christ through the church. Any other concept does injustice to the New Testament record (Acts 6 and Timothy 3). It is not a position or office given to a person in order to honor him.

1. Shall be Spirit-filled.

2. Shall be elected by the church.

3. Shall set a high standard of separated living; for example, shall not drink alcoholic beverages, smoke, or attend questionable places of amusement . (1 Timothy 4:12)

4. Shall be active and faithful to all major areas of church life.

5. Shall not be a gossiper. ( 1 Timothy 3:8)

6. Shall believe in and practice “Storehouse tithing”. (Malachi 3:10)

7. Shall have compassion for the lost, seek in his living and speech to win them to the Lord Jesus Christ.

8. Shall be a single man or the husband of one living wife. (1Timothy 3:11-12)

9. Must believe the Bible to be the inspired Word Of God, without error, the source of authority for precept and practice . (II Timothy 3:16)

10. Must believe in salvation by grace, through faith, on the basis of the substitutionary death of Christ for sinners. (John 3:16)

11. Must rule his children and his own house well.

12 Shall do all in his power to create and preserve harmony in the church.

13. Shall be able to keep, and have the reputation for keeping, in confidence those things which should not be discussed with others.

14. Shall recognize the God-given spiritual leadership that is incumbent to the office of the pastor and seek to serve under his leadership.

_______ Baptist Church also requires a deacon to be at least 21 years old and to have been a member of ______ Baptist Church for three years.

#13 tony2tall, Sep 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2010
  14. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe deacons are not called to serve a "term". It is for life. However, they should be able to move freely between active and inactive status based on their availability to serve, their willingness to serve, and the desire of the elder board or pastors.