1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Deacons Stepping in for Absence of a Pastor

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ad hominem.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There is no such thing as "My Thread." Anyone on the board my participate in any thread started by any person. Threads are not "owned" by any person. They are started for debate/discussion for all.

3. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church doesn't have a pastor currently, so the deacons and others with positions in the church have been working together to do whatever needs to be done until we find a pastor.
    No voting on the part of the members that I'm aware of--not for these things, anyway.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Deacons deak and elders eld and never the twain shall meet!! :D

In our church, we have a number of elders (pastors) who can step in when a pastor is down for the count but at our little campus, we only have one pastor. We will have pastors from the home church come out as scheduled to preach but if for some reason my husband suddenly became ill or a pastor from the home church couldn't fill the pulpit when we were away, we have a deacon at our campus who can (and has) fill in. Our deacons are kind of a ruling body - not quite to the point of elders but close. They are ordained but not licensed so they cannot do weddings but they CAN administer baptism and the Lord's Supper.

5. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There is the IGNORE function.......

6. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Once upon a time a Methodist deacon took over his pastors pulpit because of inclement weather and a young man, Charles Spurgeon on the way to his church came in also because of the weather, heard the gospel from the deacon and looked to Christ and was saved, and as they say, the rest is history.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I just read that story. :)

8. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See? Deacons are AWFUL!!

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a barn by an Arminian!

10. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unbiblical in the sense that a particular local church has neglected one of the offices of the church. But it would be worse to contemn the ordinances. I would grudgingly consent to deacons presiding over the ordinances.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Now there is a concept, we need to start a deacon license program. I just cannot figure out what the test would consist of. LOL On a serious note, would you explain what you mean by "home church" and "campus." Thanks.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sure you know but licensing allows a "clergy" to perform weddings. I don't think there are other benefits to it but you don't need to be ordained to the pastorate in order to be licensed.

Sure! We are a church that has been around for many years (it was started in the 40s, if I remember correctly). A bunch of years ago, our senior pastor had a vision to start another church further east on Long Island and so we started doing research to find an area that is not well served with evangelical churches. We found an area and around that time, hubby felt called to lead the start of that church. We weren't sure if it would be a church campus or a church plant - and it ended up being a campus. When we signed the lease on the building, our church was given a historical Baptist church in another town - not in the area that we were focusing on. So another pastor took that campus over. Now we have three campuses of the same church - the home church (original church) and the two smaller campuses that were started in the last 3.5 years. The church campuses have their own campus pastor and congregation (some of whom were people from the home church who decided to give their time to help start the campuses or who live closer to the campuses than the home church. But we are all led by the one senior pastor, deacon board and elders (all of the pastors - 10 of them, 2 of whom are the campus pastors). The home church has the offices, resources, finances and that sort of thing. When we decided to lease this new building as our campus home, our WHOLE church gave a specific offering to the cost of building this warehouse into a worship space and we will be doing the work with labor from all 3 campuses as well. There have been difficulties and there have been great blessing in having this model. Fortunately, we have live preaching at each campus and so they are almost like independent churches that have a corporation over them. But we're really an independent Baptist church with three campuses.

Does that make sense?

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Thank you for your detailed response, and yes, I understand the structure. A few Baptist churches in West Kentucky have actually gone over to elder government in the last few years, but it is a fairly new concept here.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

When he is put on ignore, he uses other people quoting me, which is not blocked. Also, how many infractions has this person received for the language he has used as of late? Does calling someone a liar without evidence merit an infraction if everything is being done fairly?

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On a quick sidenote: weddings are based on State/commonsealth law.

In NY State a marriage may be prefomed by
    1) any ordained clergy
    or
    2) a (main) leader of a church (even if not ordained

16. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    None. Please quote any "language" I've used that merits an infraction.

Actually, my pointing out that you lied was corroborated by other posters.

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother SN, I work with a woman whose home church just went through a recent split. She said the church was trying to place some by-laws into that church...not sure what she exactly stated, but it had something to do with this. They lost their pastor ~2 years ago due to an illness, and hadn't found a replacement. She thought the main reason why the angst from doing what they wanted to do was the deacons were "running the show", and she thought they didn't want a pastor over that church. She and her husband left with over half the members as well. I do believe in a pastor led church, but the power is in the church's members. They can vote a pastor in and also vote him out.

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Licensing is what happens before ordination and they are not yet allowed to perform weddings. It gives pastors their training wheels so to speak.

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

My home church has a deacon who is also liberated to preach. He was ordained a deacon, then later on, felt God's call to the ministry. His gift has proven him to be called, imo.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Deacons should never run the show under any circumstances. They are servants, not a governing authority. Shame on the congregation for letting them get by with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.