1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dealing with the Economy in the Pulpit

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Tom Bryant, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have had to barebones our budget again this year. Although I have dealt with money as it comes up in the texts, this year we have had to make serious cuts. So this Sunday, I will talk about the budget and a biblical philosophy of money and giving.

First, I'd appreciate your prayers.

Second, have you dealt with it from the pulpit? and how?

btw, my sermon is finished except for illustrations, so I'm not looking for outlines :laugh: , but would appreciate in general principles how you dealt with talking about the budget and the economy from the pulpit.

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I have, and in our current church, we have.

We (and I) typically do not deal with the actual budget of the church during the sermon, preferring instead to just talk to the people before or after.

Budget shortfalls in any local congregation are a reality that we must often deal with. People should know, and if they can, remedy the situation. If not, there are not too many options, and cuts have to happen.

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, teach the Biblical principles of giving but in your leadership meetings take a "possible" lesson from history.

In the 70s I think it was the economy tanked as did the giving to churches. The note of interest is that when the economy rebounded, the giving did not.

As I talked with many pastors during that period, the giving was flat at a much lower level for quite some time and many churches struggled to make their commitments to missionaries etc.

My point, I think, ia to make plans that include low funds for some time even after things get better with the economy. This may not happen this time, and your teaching may isolate your church from the problem, but know the future as best you can in your planning.