1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dean Burgon Quote

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by ReformedBaptist, Aug 3, 2010.

1. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Hello RB! I agree this is an impotant pursuit. Please, try to visualize this for a moment: Those thousands of of historic documents that we call 'Greek manuscripts" were actually used by individual Christians as their own handwritten 'Bibles' (and they ALL had many differences). What would those early Believers have thought if they had been able to gather and compare their NT scriptures? Would they have been helplessly confused? Would their faith have been shaken?

The TR emerged as a 'sanitized' compilation of a relatively few of those manuscripts. But how can we be sure that not a single original inspired word was left out of the TR? What are the chances that of those thousands of Greek words that the TR corresponds exactly to the original inspired writings? (and I'm not claiming the CT is 100% accurate either.) And, since when has the mere majority of numbers ever determined absolute Truth?

#21 franklinmonroe, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2010
  2. Winman

Winman Active Member

Deacon asked;

Matt 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

This was actually the verse that made me realize God's pure word is preserved when I was a young man. If God expects us to live by "every word" that proceeds from his mouth, it only seems fair and reasonable that a good and just God would provide "every word". I operate from the presupposition that God's preserved and pure word exists, and from this position must simply be identified.

Psa 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
    7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

In these verses God promises to preserve his word to all generations.

#22 Winman, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2010
  3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

And nothing that us MV proponents believe contradicts those two verses.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

I was simply answering Deacon's questions.

But Matthew 4:4 and Psalms 12:6-7 do show that both the Received Text used for the KJB and the Critical Text used for the MVs cannot both be the preserved and pure word of God. There are many differences. I found this article:

The KJB and MVs do not simply disagree in English, there are nearly 6000 differences in the Greek text used. So, both cannot be pure and preserved.

#24 Winman, Aug 4, 2010
  5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Here is part of an article from a fellow who said he found 4165 differences in the Greek texts between the TR and CT.

Source:

http://www.bible-researcher.com/stats.html

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot imagine people still trying to use Ps 12 to talk about God preserving documents (whether Greek texts or English translations)

Talk about sad. It shows how little respect they have for the Word of God to foist that off as "proof". Takes away all credability to arguments to say such things.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Sigh, this is such a waste of time. But do you know that there are also many differences between the various sources that make up the TR also?

Have you ever thought that maybe, just MAYBE, God might be a lot bigger and smarter than we might think and be able to preserve His Word in many ways, not just on one English translation?

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Winman quoted:

I don't believe this is correct. The Greek text of the ERV of 1881/85 was published by Edwin Palmer- I posted a link to it last night. It is DIFFERENT than W&H's Greek text, as I understand it. If my Greek were not so rusty I could say for sure.

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Many scholarly men disagree with you, here is an article showing how it is far more likely verse 7 was speaking of God's word and not the poor.

http://www.bibleword.org/preservation.shtml

And Psalms 12:7 is not the only verse in the Bible showing God will preserve his word.

Psa 100:5 For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

1 Pet 1:25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

I could show MANY verses beside these.

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yes, I have said here myself that there are nearly 40 versions of the TR. And I have said there is evidence that the KJB translators did not strictly follow the TR, there is evidence they used sources outside of it.

The exact texts the KJB translators used is not known. However, Scrivener's TR is closest, because he back translated. He developed his TR from the KJB.

It all comes down to this, did God preserve his pure word as he promised or not? If so, then the pure and preserved word of God is out there, and all we need to do is identify it. It really doesn't matter how that preserved and pure text came to be. That is what critics cannot grasp. They think they have to be able to prove which text is the preserved word with scholarship. You can study this issue your entire lifetime and you will never be able to prove preservation with scholarship. You either accept it by faith or not.

But you cannot say the CT and TR are the same, that is an absurd argument. So the KJB that came from the TR and the MVs that came from the CT cannot both be the preserved and pure word of God.

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

None of those verses refer to English translations- nor any other.

12. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

It refers to the truth of God and the words of God. Every word of God is important. And so which mss we use is important.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a little correction winman.

Scrivener did not technically "backtranslate".

He recognized that the KJV translators used different Traditional Texts from the hands of different scribal families such as Beza, Stephanus, etc.

He compiled a text by piecing together (mostly Stephanus in my reading) the portions which varied from the Stephanus from the other available texts.

The Elzivir brothers had done the same thing later and it appears that he drew from their work as well.

It is possible that they (KJV translators) translated directly from the vulgate into Greek in a few places or used late dated mss which possibly had translated from the old itala (e.g. 1 John 5:7 - which I believe is apostolic btw) into Greek.

He did not "backtranslate" rather he pieced together or "quilted" his text from several sources resulting in a Greek text in 1895 that exactly (for the most part) followed the underlying English of the 1769 AV.

Incidently, KJVO have not done any different than Mormons who accepts by faith the translation of the Book of Mormon from the hands of Joseph Smith as the word of God.

In addition there are and have been Catholic "Vulgate Only" groups who have claimed that Latin is the new language of heaven.
    They cannot be proven wrong as they aslo claim to believe this by faith.

Another problem KJVO have is that there are hundreds of significant differences between the different editions (1611, 1769, etc) and "authorized" publishers (Oxford, Cambridge, Nelson).

Some say the differences are minor, however one difference would invalidate any "ONLY" argument as God is not able to make the smallest variance in His word (not a jot or tittle).

So while some KJVO groups hold up the Oxford 1611 version and claim that it is the perfect inerrant word of God another holds up the 1769 Cambridge and makes the same claim. Both cannot be right.

They are therefore in the same boat as the MV folk (though they can never admit it) as the archetype of the AD1611 has been destroyed.

That God will preserve His word is indeed a promise. However is word has been given in either Hebrew or Greek and not a translation, even the KJV translators admitted to that:

No translation can be perfect and inerrant without the theory of "secondary inspiration" or "advanced revelation" which also requires the adherance to apostolic successesion as the prophets and/or apostles are the "only" authorised publishers (which - apostolic succession -both the Church of England and the Church of Rome claim for themselves).

HankD

#33 HankD, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  14. ReformedBaptist

God's Word determines absolute Truth. His Words have not been lost. He gave Israel His oracles and His Israel today, the Church, He gives the same.

These are my presuppositions. What I am doing then is evaluating the history of the manuscripts and textual criticisms that emerged in the last 100 years or so.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

Thank you Hank :thumbs:

16. ReformedBaptist

17. ReformedBaptist

With all due respect, instead of perhaps a negative rhetoric, how about exegeting Psalm 12 for us.

Added:

Nevermind, let Gill do the hard work:

Psalms 12:7

Ver. 7. Thou shall keep them, O Lord,.... Not the words before mentioned, as Aben Ezra explains it, for the affix is masculine and not feminine; not but God has wonderfully kept and preserved the sacred writings; and he keeps every word of promise which he has made; and the doctrines of the Gospel will always continue from one generation to another; but the sense is, that God will keep the poor and needy, and such as he sets in safety, as Kimchi rightly observes: they are not their own keepers, but God is the keeper of them; he keeps them by his power, and in his Son, in whose hands they are, and who is able to keep them from falling; they are kept by him from a total and final falling away; from the dominion and damning power of sin, and from being devoured by Satan, and from the evil of the world: and this the psalmist had good reason to believe, because of the love of God to them, his covenant with them, and the promises of safety and salvation he has made unto them;

thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever; or "thou shalt preserve him" {p}; that is, everyone of the poor and needy, from the wicked generation of men in which they live, from being corrupted or intimidated by them; and who are described in the beginning of the psalm. Some take these words to be a prayer, "keep thou them, O Lord, and preserve them", &c. {q}; and so the following words may be thought to be a reason or argument enforcing the request.

{p} wnrut "custodies eum", Pagninus, Montanus, Gejerus, Michaelis; so Ainsworth. {q} "Custodi eum", Tigurine version, Vatablus, "custodito eorum quemque", Junius & Tremellius, Piscator.

#37 ReformedBaptist, Aug 4, 2010
  18. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Personally, from what I am reading, W&H are getting a bad rap.

But I'll let you wise men figure this all out while I continue to use my ESV, NIrV, NKJV and occasionally KJV. :thumbs:

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

I would say it does. Did God know of the rise of English? Of course he did, and he knows all other languages as well. Was God able to communicate to many different people who spoke many different languages on the day of Pentacost? Yes.

So, when God says he will preserve his word to all generations, it could forsee all languages that would come to be.

I am not a Ruckmanite. I do not believe that only the KJB is the word of God. I believe you can translate the RT into any language and if it is done accurately, you would have the preserved and pure word of God in that langauge.

I believe that if you translate the CT into any language it would be error. But that is my personal belief.

That the word of God can be accurately translated is proved by the scriptures themselves. When Joseph spoke to his brothers, he spoke in Egyptian, not Hebrew, but we have an accurate translation into Hebrew. When Nebuchadnezzar spoke, he did not speak in Hebrew, yet we have an accurate translation of his words into Hebrew.

When Jesus and the apostles spoke, it was in Aramaic, not Greek. But we have an accurate translation into Greek.

So, that the scriptures can be accurately translated into other languages is proved by the scriptures themselves.

#39 Winman, Aug 4, 2010
  20. ReformedBaptist

I am using this forum not to read and make opinions from or draw conclusions. I am really trying to learn. It seems everyone on this board has overlooked my personal struggle and NOT ONE pastor has stepped up to actually come alongside and help. I am glad for this because it is teaching me what I should be and not be to others.

Here is what I have faced:

1. An apparant error in the modern version wtih respect to Mark 1:1-3 and the discovery that it is a msss family issue.

2. Studying the Word of God with the men of my church in the Greek and again discovering two different words in the Greek because of two different sets of manuscripts.

WHAT IS THE WORD OF GOD?

If this doesn't bother some people, it bothers me. If the pastors of this board have no care for this then shame on you.