1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dean Burgon Society

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Salty, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was like Dr. Bob a member in the beginning. I still have his Revision Revised on my bookshelf. The good Dean has many still excellent points. He is a good counterweight to the "Darwinism" of the Wescott and Hort School.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please elaborate.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Plan for the DBS to Return to Their Roots and Regain Credibility

1. Continue to distance themselves from the radicalism of Ruckman and Riplinger. Stop publishing anything that glorifies these two (such as Jack Moorman's Forever Settled in Heaven, quoting Ruckman positively many times: http://www.buzzardhut.net/index/htm/Forever.Settled.pdf)

2. Actually discuss Burgon instead of KJVO issues. Instead of the typical DBS meeting messages (according to the latest DBS E-news, "on the KJB superiority; on Biblical activism; on the Textus Receptus; on the crew behind modern versions; on sincerity; on warnings about Gail Riplinger")--try "Burgon on Mark's Ending," Burgon Vs. Hort & Westcott," "Burgon's Use of the Church Fathers," "Would Burgon Accept the Byzantine Textform?" etc.

3. Remember the Great Commission. Start finding ways to get the Gospel out around the world instead of simply fighting English Bible versions. The Bible is not a fort to defend, it is a sword to attack Hell's gates with.

4. Hire a fact checker. The authors of the DBS have been criticized for getting the facts wrong. Just one case had to do with a past leader of my mission board. (Dr. Waite knows whereof I speak.)

I would say more, but this is a start. Will they pay attention to their critics? I seriously doubt it.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate your support in this. I determined years ago not to answer personal attacks. However, at the advice of a seminary prof friend I did answer Dr. Williams' complaints about my review here: http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=60191