A young woman dropped her new phone into an open-pit toilet Wednesday in Xinxiang city, Henan, and two people died after one attempted to retrieve it. The woman's husband was the first to jump into the knee-deep cesspool to try and find the $320 phone, but he started having difficulty breathing and fainted, the South China Morning Post reports, citing a local newspaper. His mother then jumped in after him, and the same fate befell her. Both died of suffocation, and more were injured when others followed in an attempt to save them. The young woman herself was the third to jump in, and also fell unconscious. Her father-in-law then called over neighbors, and when they arrived to help, he, too, jumped in, as did two neighbors who also fainted. "The smell was too strong. I lost consciousness before I could see anything," says one of the neighbors. http://www.newser.com/story/188147/2-die-trying-to-save-phone-that-fell-into-toilet.html ------------ So what the heck are these people eating that's bad enough the fumes can kill? And why does the husband and his mother end up jumping in the stew after the phone, while the woman stands and watches?