1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Death occured before the fall?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, Apr 30, 2008.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

In response to a now closed (quickly) thread, the following question was asked...
    I would say that, yes, death did occur prior to the fall. God gave all plant life to consume as food for both man and animals. Either this plant life had to die, or the "end result" of eating plantilfe would not be too pleasant if the plants continued to live and grow after consumption :D

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Death of plants is not death. There is no soul in plants. Before the fall man was vegetarian. There was no death of any animal of any kind.

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Point well taken. That would be quite a belly-ache! I stand corrected.

But, the question is....did alcohol exist (naturally or by Adam/Eve making it for consumption) prior to the fall?

Was the first reference to alcohol found with Noah, after the flood?

peace to you:praying:

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow. If you don't consider a plant "dead" (pertaining to physicality...absense of life) what do you conisder it? If they cannot die, how can they "live"? Death occurs on the cellular level, too. To claim a cell needs a soul in order for death to occur is ridiculous.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

yes, but an argument from silence is not a good one...wouldn't you say? A grape naturally has yeast on it. I don't believe there are "pre-fall" grapes and post fall grapes...just grapes.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

My apologies to anyone I may have offended in the other (now closed) thread.

My question is this, why is it said that alcohol, or the reaction of yeast consuming sugar is decay? I have never heard this.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

QUIT DERALING MY THREAD! :laugh:

I don't want this one closed too!

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Upon further review, I may have to reconsider my prior concession.

Gen. 2:16 "The LORD God commanded the man, saying, "From any tree of the garden you may eat freely,"

Adam and Eve ate the fruit of the trees of the garden. Therefore, the tree wasn't killed in the process of their eating the fruit. Only the fruit was consumed.

Therefore, it is an argument from silence to assume plants were killed in the consumption of food for Adam and Eve, especially since God commanded them to only eat the fruit of the trees. :thumbs:

BTW, you acknowledge a "pre-fall" humanity and a "post-fall" humanity, don't you? You acknowledge a "pre-fall" creation (not under a curse) and a "post-fall" creation (under a curse) don't you?

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Solomon knew this a thousand years before Christ was born.

Proverbs 23:31-32 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
    32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.

When the yeast or fermentation begins to take place it "changes the color and 'moves itself aright'" What Solomon could see was the obvious fermentation process taking place--a process of decay. Wine is simply a decaying process of the freshly picked grapes.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...so then a moderator does just that :BangHead: :laugh:

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely. I just don't believe yeast (and fermentation as a result) was created 'post-fall'.

12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about God commanding Adam and Eve to only eat the fruit of the trees. Doesn't that show that the death of plants was not commanded for the consumption of food until after the fall?

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

So, when you put yeast in dough, it causes it to ferment? Is there alcohol in bread?

14. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    But we only have scriptural evidence of alcohol after the fall (with Noah). Isn't it an argument from silence to assume there was alcohol prior to the fall?

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

They weren't commanded to only eat fruit...but all vegetation from Genesis 1...

29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

Death did occur prior to the fall.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe the argumet from silence occurs when it is assumed there was no alcohol prior to Noah since Scritpture doesn't mention it. that's truly an argument from silence, not the other way around.

17. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    My understanding is that yeast is a bacteria that comsumes sugars and multiplies (the growth of the bacteria causes the dough to "rise").

How that process is related to the production of alcohol, I'll have to let someone else address. In my prior, unsaved, life, I was more of an alcohol filter, than an alcohol producer.

18. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Upon further review, (edited because Rubato 1 has shown that even if I think I have made a mistake, I may still be right:laugh: )

#18 canadyjd, Apr 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2008
  19. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

This does not say all vagetation! And this does not requite death. The point was well-stated by canadyjd.

Eating this does not require death; maybe that is why God said to eat it...?...

20. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fact: Alcohol is mentioned only after the fall.

Conclusion:

I don't want to assume alcohol existed prior to the fall, since scripture doen't mention it prior to the fall, and you say I am arguing from silence?

You want to assume alcohol existed prior to the fall (even though scripture doesn't mention it) you believe you are not arguing from silence?