1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Death Or The Rapture?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Cutter, May 28, 2010.

1. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Is someone hoping to die, so that they can go to be with the Lord the same as someone that hopes for the return of the Lord, so that they can go to be with Him? If you're a Christian both would accomplish basically the same thing. I have heard from both sides of this issue. My Mother-in-law was in bad shape healthwise years before she passed on at 94. She often wished to die or that the Lord would take her home to be with Him. On the other hand there have been those that are in the same predicament that often say, I wish the Lord would come to take His church home. So what I am asking is, if someone's quality of life has fallen off because of sickness or disease would it be selfish for them to desire the rapture over natural death?

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul said he had a desire to be with Christ which was far better. I don't think that an older person wanting to be with Jesus by death or by rapture is selfish. But Paul finally decided that to stay was more necessary at the time. All of would rather be with Jesus, but a desire for His will trumps that.

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Some people want to hang onto life regardless of what it's like. They would rather suffer here than die--even many who claim to know the Lord. Personally, my life has already reached the point where "to be with the Lord" is much more preferable--whether through death or the so-called "Rapture". I would prefer to go in the "Rapture", but a quick and hopefully painless death would work also. I am not one who wants to be bed-ridden and unable to take care of myself and need someone to bathe and feed me and wipe my butt for me. That is not life; it's just existing. Having worked for 28 years in a VA Medical Center, I saw many who were just a twisted pile of bones lying in bed and unable to do anything for themselves. I just hope they had no knowledge of their condition.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, as long as you can share Christ with others, you have a reason and purpose to live.

But I know exactly what you are saying, I would never want to be a burden to anyone either.

My mother-in-law died back in 2000 from Lou Gehrig's disease. I cannot think of a worse disease than this. Even a cancer patient who might be in great pain can still communicate with others. The last year of her life she could not move or speak to anyone. It was terrible.

But she made the most of her condition for the 7 years it took the disease to kill her, she witnessed to every nurse, doctor, or visitor that came to see her. She was a terrific lady who never complained and kept her great attitude right to the end.