1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

death penalty?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by underscoretim, Sep 22, 2006.

?

death penalty?

Poll closed Sep 22, 2007.
  1. yes?

78.6%
  2. no?

21.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

MP,

Why should your and my tax dollars be spent for their crimes. That is the same as my paying for their crimes. Does not the bible say that the sins of the fathers shall not visited upon the third and forth generations?

thjplgvp

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you really think it is "Christlike" to force someone into a cage for the rest of his life?

4. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Is life fair? No, but we are to try our very best, and just believe what God has decreed. We make our own law, for we are not satisfied with Him.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Posted by canadyjd:
    I said Jn 6 but meant Jn 8 - sorry about that.

I am putting in 2 posts notes from the NET Bible on the views on this account (although I learned about it several years ago in my Hermeneutics class, not from the NET Bible).

#105 Marcia, Sep 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2006
  6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Part 2 of NET Bible commentary on the Jn 8 woman caught in adultery account:

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Not only have I offered evidence supporting the possibility this account is not in the Bible (based on the earliest and best manuscripts), but even if it is included, I still maintain the other points about the woman caught in adultery: The men did not bring witnesses, they did not bring the man involved, the Jews could not carry out the death penalty themselves, and Jesus never made a statement against the death penalty - this was not the point of the account.

This makes it sound like anyone supporting the death penalty does not have a Christlike attitude which is (1) sort of an ad hominem, or some kind of logical fallacy, and (2) you have not shown how being against the death penalty is more Christlike with the I Tim. passage since that is not about the death penalty but rather how God showed mercy to Paul. Paul is an example of God's mercy, but that does not automatically mean we repeal the death penalty. That is your application of it but it is not in the text.

In fact, right before what you quote, Paul says in v. 8-11:
    This passage supports using the law against the lawless, rebellious, ungodly, those who kill, etc. This would include the death penalty.

God can forgive a murderer if they trust Christ but that murderer can still suffer the consequence of his/her actions if a death penalty has been deemed as the punishment.

#107 Marcia, Sep 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2006
  8. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

The Bible tells us to love our enemies. Murders are terrible people, the kind of people that Jesus tended to hand around with. Where does the NT command us to have capital punishment?

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Gen 9.6 - I've posted on it twice in this thread and asked to see where it was abrogated in the NT. I don't think that has been shown - in fact, Rom. 13 tends to confirm it.

We don't need a commandment in the NT to have capital punishment when it was already given in Gen 9 and elsewhere and not repealed in the NT.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. 2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: 4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. 5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake. 6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.

11. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

You pay because incarcerating criminals benefits the society in which you live.

I pay taxes to support schools, even though I have no children in this district. Mine are all adults. I pay taxes to kill people in Iraq, so I pay for Bush's war, even though I am opposed. That's how it works.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me that liberal Christians believe that the state has the same duty to provide compassion and charity as the church, but when it comes to cultural morality and law, the church should have no input or influence in shaping the culture. This is a schizophrenic dichotomy if I ever heard one.

Robert E. Myer

13. Magnetic Poles

I think that Church and State should be absolutely separate. This is not saying the state provides compassion because it is churchlike, but because we are civilized human beings.

14. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

15. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The conditions of prisons is a separate topic. Feel free to start the discussion in another thread.

peace to you:praying:

16. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

In this verse, we see God talking to Noah and his family. This is not a statement about animals at all. Nowhere in scripture do we find God referring to animals as 'whoso'.

The fact that Paul wrote 'a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil', shows authorities can execute capital punishment on those that work evil.

Jesus did not come to destroy the law of capital punishment, or any other law that God had set forth.
    Capital Punishment is still allowed by God. Rather than question God's Word concerning that which He said is permitted, one should question that which is not permitted but still practiced by man.

Also, pray for those in authoritative positions that they may make godly rulings in cases of murder. As in Numbers 35, let them judge innocence or guilt. If guilt, let them execute judgment approved by God's Holy Word.

17. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am for the death penalty because God commands it in Gen. 9 and upholds it in Romans 13. I would rather unjustly suffer the death penalty than to give all the murderers a free pass. The death penalty is not a deterrent now because people use the system and get years and years of appeals and such. Return to the days when the criminal gets a fair trial followed by a speedy hanging, the deterrent effect of the death penalty will return.

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

19. Magnetic Poles

The same Old Testament being used to support the death penalty also proscribes it for a rebellious son, a disobedient wife, and for a number of other petty offenses. Take a look a the long list of OT capital crimes.

20. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Right, but (anything) inserted to show how precious is the blood of man in God's sight - Exodus 21:28-29. We are to kill anything that kills man.

#120 ituttut, Sep 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.