1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Kay, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

That is very sad :(

But they will be punished by God one day - it just might not be much consolation now. I'm a believer that if God is just he must punish all sin by unsaved people to the appropriate level and therefore some people will be punished to a greater degree than others.

2. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

Missed this one while I was out.

Act 25:11 For if I be an offender, or have committed any thing worthy of death, I refuse not to die: but if there be none of these things whereof these accuse me, no man may deliver me unto them. I appeal unto Caesar.

Here's an inspired apostle in favor of the death penalty, even if it applies to himself.

Rom 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

They weren't slapping people on the hand with those swords...

Gen 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

This predates the Mosaic Law, which in my view makes it an eternal principle.

Ecc 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

This is why the death penalty is not more effective in discouraging people to commit capitol crimes.

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Gen 8 God says that if a person slays another person - then "by man he must be slain". God never says "the punishment for murder is prison until you slowly age to death".

in Christ,

Bob

4. Predestined

Predestined Member

My 19 year old son was murdered three weeks ago......shot in cold blood. I have always been in favor of the death penality..........given our justice system, my son's murderer will likely not see that.

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I am so sorry Predestined. You and your family have my deepest condolences. I cannot imagine what you are going through, but I can pray for you.

God bless you,
    §ue

6. standingfirminChrist

I also am praying. Having gone through this last year, I know the pain you are going through.

May God strengthen and comfort you.

7. Predestined

Predestined Member

Thank you both........both my wife and I have never experienced such intense pain......we never knew anything could be so painful. This has my wife questioning her faith at times.......for me, the only comfort I have is that my son had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ........I'll see him again.......can't be soon enough.

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I too am very sorry to hear about your loss. How wonderful it will be when Christ comes and ends all of this sin and suffering. How great it will be to see our family once again. Thank God that your son is saved - but I truly can not imagine - no not even remotely - the pain of losing a child like that. A close friend lost a teenage daughter in a drowning accident and there too I saw something that I can not really understand - it is like looking over a cliff into a deep dark pit - I shudder and step away. I can not think about it.

In Christ,

Bob

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    First of all - Iran also punishes theft with imprisonment -- so do we.
    Are we "Iran"??

Is God the God of "Iran"?

(also note that God's law in Gen 9 presumes that one accepts God's Word in Gen 1 - 2:3 regarding creationism)

Benefits of capital punishment.

1. No repeat murder by those who murder once (as SFIC points out) then are let out to possibly "murder again".
    2. No murders in prison comitted by "lifers who have nothing to lose"
    3. No murder gangs in prison headed by those who "have nothing to lose"
    4. No state funded retirement program - all expenses paid - for murderers.
    5. Would-be murderers have "something to think about"

in Christ,

Bob

#49 BobRyan, Feb 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  10. trustitl

trustitl New Member

This was the original question.

Some have used this as an opportunity to show that this was a part of the law and therefore we should support it.
    Some have shown how God told Noah "Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed" to say a Christian should support it.

Others have pointed out how it keeps murderers from killing again.

None of these in my opinion say a Christian should support it.

I support the death penalty because the government that God has ordained supports it and my conscience allows me to. I fully understand how a brother in the Lord could be against it and still accept the Word of God to be true.

Sadly, most people opposed to it here use the same reasoning as the typical worldly arguments against it.

11. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

How dare you actually refer back to the OP when we were all in the middle of our rants!:laugh:

Seriously though, this is an issue that affects some more than others due to what they've suffered personally. Our hearts reach out to those who have lost loved ones to a murderer.

But as to whether a Christian should favor the death penalty or not, I don't think most would want anyone to be put to death. However, from what the Bible says about it, I'd say that it is a just penalty for some crimes. I favor the death penalty in the sense that I favor the will of God being done.

12. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Question should be, should Christians vote.

I abstain, maybe I am wrong, someone please put me right if they can!

David

13. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke