1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Death to Paul?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by canadyjd, Sep 25, 2006.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it were in your power, would you demand the death penalty for the Apostle Paul for the murder of Christians prior to his conversion? Please feel free to cite scripture to support your answer; why or why not?

#1 canadyjd, Sep 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2006
  2. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    What? Are the only people that are going to respond the "pro-murderers" and "liberal sissies".

Come on all you pro-death penalty advocates, show a little backbone for a change. Tell us how you have Gen.9 and that's all you need to know. The man killed Christians. Give him the gospel and then hang him, right?

What about justice? What about the families of all those people he killed? God needs Christian's to make sure justice is done, right? God needs Christians to support the death penalty so Gen. 9 won't be violated, right? Come on, vote your convictions. Vote to kill Paul. You must have the wisdom to make those kinds of decisions.

How many times have I read, "If it were up to me...." and then follows some horrible death that would be dealt out. Well, go ahead. It's up to you. How are you going to kill Paul the murderer?

Why in the name of Jesus Christ would God allow Paul, the murderer of Christians, not to face the death penalty? Wasn't God playing favorites? Wasn't God showing partiality?

God tells us why in His Word. He demonstrated mercy to Paul as an example of "perfect patience" to future Christians. That is an example we are to follow.

If you can't see that then go ahead and vote to kill Paul. I have said all I can. I guess I'm getting too emotional, again.

peace to you all:praying:

3. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

You're not being nice.

Paul was acting within the law. Why didn't you choose David for your unanswerable irrefutable everybody's-a-fool-but-me poll question? After all, if you're going to overthrow six thousand years of conventional wisdom, you might oughta put your best foot forward.

4. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul was a murderer in the eyes of God, according to Gen. 9. Vote your convictions Pipedude.

Jesus Christ overthrew the conventional wisdom, I'm just following His lead.

peace to you:praying:

#4 canadyjd, Sep 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2006
  5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How do you know what the "eyes of God" see Paul as? Pipedude is correct...he was acting within the law. The same thing applies to the Rules of Engagement the military uses. I would hope that you wouldn't consider our military to be murderers.

6. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I told you how we know what the "eyes of God" saw Paul as. Gen. 9 says it all, right? Vote your convictions webdog, and don't try to change the topic. There is another thread for that question.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

just a quick question...

canadyjd, you sign your posts "Peace to you." Isn't your attempt to stir up an argument at odds with your signature?

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is not one iota of Biblical evidence that says Paul himself wielded the sword to kill Christians.
    He was instrumental for their capture, he stood guard over the clothes of those who stoned Stephen, and he hunted them down, but nothing in the Bible says he committed murder against any Christian.

Now to answer your question, and I speak only for myself.

If it were under my power, and I were a Jew, and if Jewish law demanded the death penalty for Christians on account of blasphemy for worshipping someone whom the official religion perceives as just another man, and therefore a crime under Jewish law, I will NOT demand the death penalty because the law does not require it. As a matter of fact, the law justifies such action. The Christians were committing a crime according to law, and Paul, being a lawyer himself, was simply enforcing what the law of the land demanded.

Now, if the law of the land recognizes the right of others to worship according to the dictates of their conscience, and Paul incites a crowd to kill a Christian such as Stephen, and the law calls such action murder and not manslaughter of whatever degree, and the punishment calls for death, and it were under my power to do so, then YES, I will demand for the death penalty, because that is what the law of the land says he should get. However, if the law of the land carries no death penalty for any offense, then it will be completely out of line to demand the death penalty, or to march in the streets demanding for death penalty to be enacted as law.

By the way, your question for the poll is too vague.

#8 pinoybaptist, Sep 26, 2006
  9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not only did I vote (unanimous with the others, I might add), I did not change the topic. Quit trying to claim what God "sees".

10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not attempting to "stir up an argument". This is a debate forum.

11. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist

12. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

The death penalty as is found in (Genesis 9:6) Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by mans hand shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

In Romans chapter 13 you will find the death penalty mentioned again. The power to execute the death penalty is given into the hands of the rulers of a nation. It is not to be carried out by an individual seeking revenge.

To answer your question I would not demand the death penalty for the Apostle Paul because I do not find in scripture where he actually shed the blood of anyone, and according to scripture I would be wrong if I did.

What if Paul had killed a man with his own hand? Then it would be in the hands of the rulers at the time and he was in no danger there was he.

13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul says "I persecuted this Way to the death". He is confessing to murder. Isn't that good enough for Gen. 9?

Would you apply that same standard to bin Laden? As far as we know, he never actually killed anyone with his bare hands. Are you going to give him a pass too?

#13 canadyjd, Sep 26, 2006
  14. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

I am not so sure that what Paul is saying is that he committed murder or that his actions resulted in the death of many. If he did actually commit murder then he was deserving of the death penalty, but God had other plans for him. Even David Burkowitz(Son of Sam) the serial killer will tell you that he deserves the death penalty after God has saved him.

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Agreed..........

16. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is saying his intentional actions resulted in the deliberate death of Christians.

The question is, if you have the power, do you sentence him to death? You don't know if God has plans for him or not. Does that matter? Do we implement the death penalty only for people we don't think God has any plans for? How do we apply that standard?

I think I will follow the teachings of the Son of God, instead of the son of Sam.

17. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

If I had the power to sentance him to death then that means that the power I have is given of God according to the apostle Paul himself (Rom 13), and if the power is given of God then God could surely stop me couldn't he? He hardened the heart of Pharaoh, but he allowed Herod to put James to death. The death penalty is in the hands of the rulers who are in the hands of God. Oh and what I said about the Son of Sam was not teachings just his testimony about what the Son of God has done for him.

18. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your not answering the question, deacon jd. According to your convictions concerning the death penalty, yes or no? Do you put Paul to death for his part in the murder of Christians?

BTW, I understood what you meant about son of Sam. That was a cheap shot on my part. My apology to you.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think Romans 5:13 applies to Paul and the killing of Christians:

Rom 5:13 In fact, sin was in the world before the law, but sin is not charged to one's account when there is no law.

The law called for the killing of those who opposed what they were taught. Even though Saul was persecuting them...Paul is not guilty.

20. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

According to my convictions concerning the death penalty. Yes. If I believe it I will stand on it. As I said before though I believe God had a plan and if I sentenced Paul to death God would have delivered Paul for his own will and purpose. Apology accepted.