1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Death to Paul?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by canadyjd, Sep 25, 2006.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Based on all the evidence, I would have let him go.

peace to you:praying:

3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then if we should be against the death penalty because of God's use of Paul, and if you would have let Paul go, then if you are consistent you would let all murderers go now. Correct?

Or are you now saying your treatment of Paul is soley based on hindsight?

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not say, or have I ever said, we should be against the death penalty because of God's use of Paul (or potential use of any convicted criminal).

I have repeatedly stated we should be against the death penalty because it is unChristlike to support it; being a direct violation of our Lord's command to have "perfect patience" with the worst of sinners, even murderers like Paul. (I Tim. 1:16)

What I stated about Paul is not based "solely on hindsight", but, as I plainly said, "Based on all the evidence, I would have let him go."

The evidence being his own testimony of his encounter with the risen Jesus and subsequent living of his life for the cause of Christ, as well as the testimony of Cornelius and his "vision" from God, as well as the testimony of the Apostles concerning Jesus' instructions concerning love for the brethren, forgiveness, putting away our swords;not repaying evil for evil and so on.

Add to that our Lord's rebuke of James and John when they wanted to call down fire from heaven(Luke 9:54-56), the story of the woman caught in adultery(John 8) in which Jesus changed forever the standards for execution; and many other passages. It is clear we, as Christians, should not support the death penalty.

And no, I have never said we should let all murderers go today, not even the ones who profess Christ as Lord.

peace to you:praying: