1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Death with Dignity Laws or Legal Euthanasia

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Magnetic Poles, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Call it killed by your own doctor if you want to...it doesn't bother me. I'm not worried about the name of it. I mean what are we, third graders here that need to debate over whether the name of something is good or not?

Is it dignified to be in so much pain every day that you have to be hopped up on so many pain killers that you don't even know where you are? Should we be dignified enough to take all those pain killers for the rest of our life and sit around and be out of our mind?

You must have a strange definition of dignified (maybe OldRegular can hound you about that definition)...but dignified to me doesn't mean sitting around on pain medication hallucinating and acting like a loon bat.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Matt has it dead on (no pun intended). If I am suffering with no hope of improvement, whose business is it if I can quietly and peaceably make my exit. Some pain cannot be managed. There is nothing either dignified or noble about a lingering, painful demise. With machinery able to keep people's body's breathing after they would have died naturally, why prolong it for the person, or their family.

3. targus

targus New Member

My point is that those laws most likely would not have passed by a majority vote if they were titled "killed by your own doctor" instead of the comforting soothing title "death with dignity".

Dignity comes from within. It is a state of regard for ones self and recognizing the value of ones own personhood. It has nothing to do with your health, wealth, or station in life.

That you do not understand the concept of personal dignity explains your seeming disdain for the terminally ill.

4. Magnetic Poles

You honestly believe the voters in Oregon & Washington did not know what the measures were about? Do you not think there were heated political ads day and night on both sides? The people have spoken. Why do you have disdain for the democratic process?

The choice is highly regulated. A person is not obligated to opt for dying. It is their choice. No one is forcing people to be put to death.

The choice lies with them...not me...not you. As it should be.

5. targus

targus New Member

Please stay on topic.

6. Magnetic Poles

You raised the issue. Got no answer I see. Why is it your business what another person chooses in their own circumstances? That is germaine to the point.

Sidebar Rant ON: So-called conservatives say they are for smaller government, but from what I can see, it is just the opposite. They want:

- Government regulation over end of life decisions
    - Government regulation over personal relationships
    - Government regulation in what others may inhale, ingest, smoke, inject, or otherwise put into their own body
    - Government regulation on what others may read or watch

Conservative? Hardly!

Sidebar Rant OFF

7. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I have disdain for the terminally ill? How exactly is that? Because I want the terminally ill to have some choice in whether or not they want to continue living in misery? It's you that seems to have the disdain for them, since you don't believe they are capable of making a decision about their own life.

I may be tagging you wrong, but I thought you considered yourself a conservative. I guess your sense of personal responsibility stops when it comes to this issue. Do you have other liberal leaning tendencies such as requiring that I wear a seat belt, a helmet, or other personal safety devices?

How is someone killing themselves bothering you?

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I will answer before reading the responses. If I'm out of turn - I'm sorry - I'll catch up and go wherever the thread is going, I promise. :)

No. I think we need to make sure we make dying less painful by giving someone medications to help their pain even if it means they will be addicted. My mother died a very painful death of breast cancer and the doctor didn't want to increase her pain meds because they were addictive. She was dying - died 2 weeks after we pushed hard enough to have the meds increased.

Pets do not have a soul that has been saved by the blood of Jesus. They also do not pass on their wisdom, their strength and their testimony of God's faithfulness to others. For those who are not saved, assisted suicide is condemning someone to hell before their time.

I feel that denying nutrition and hydration is cruel and uncalled for. Every human being alive today will die without nutrition and hydration. Do it to your child and it's called abuse and murder. Do it to someone dying and it's called dignity. I think it's murder across the board.

As for the respirator, if a person is brain dead, they are dead. Withdrawing machines will allow their body to do what it should do. However, not everyone on a respirator is brain dead and a respirator is a very important tool for those who are critically ill.

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You are entitled to express your opinion even if wrong. It is not the task of doctors to take life but to save life. If you can't take what life hands out than end it yourself.

10. Magnetic Poles

Ann, thank you for your reasoned response. It sets an example of what I had hoped to see.

11. OldRegular

Then go ahead and end your misery. Don't drag someone else into your suicide, just put a gun to your head or save up enough pain pills to do the job. Don't try to dignify suicide by calling it death with dignity.

Of course if you fail and the legals find out they will lock you up in many states. Strange isn't it. Just no freedom at all.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - Looked through the thread - didn't miss much.

My mother died of breast cancer. The cancer spread to her ribs and her spine and she was in great pain every day. There were times that she cried out to God without an apparent answer to her pain. But in those days, I was able to minister to her - and she was able to minister to me. We shared memories. I helped to bathe her. I fed her. She prayed for me and my children. She wrote letters to each of her children in those last days that will forever be precious to me.

In the last 2 days of her life, she was basically in a coma and no longer responded to me but when I sat next to her bed and spoke to her, prayed with her and read the Scriptures to her, her blood pressure went down, her heart rate slowed and she was at peace. When I left, I could see those things going back up again. She ended up passing away with 4 of her dear friends standing over her bed praying for her. THAT was a death with dignity. It was one that was orchestrated by God to glorify Him in my life, my mother's life, my father's life, my saved brother's life - and gave us an opportunity to once again give the gospel message to my unsaved brother. What would have happened if we killed her off weeks before??

13. OldRegular

i am not trying to derail the thread, I cannot come up to your expertise in doing that. I am simply trying to get you to tell what death with dignity means to you.

Frankly I don't care what wikipedia says. Suicide, assisted or not, bloody or not, is not death with dignity.

14. OldRegular

How can anyone discuss death with dignity if they don't know what it is?

15. OldRegular

I assume from Matt Wade and Magnetic Poles that death with dignity is having a serial killer like Dr. Death of Michigan fame come in and help you do something you don't have the intestinal fortitude [must be dignified in discussing death with dignity] to do themselves.

Apparently these people do not understand that God, not Dr. Death wherever he is, is in control.

16. OldRegular

Thank you very much targus for bringing some, may i use the word "dignity", to this nonsensical discussion!

17. OldRegular

Thank you Ann for your heart warming story. Perhaps it is strange that I should call it that but I do.

My mother died at 97 from congestive heart failure. All the living brothers and one sister were with her in the hospital. They had ask me not to come in because I had some heart problems. I went in anyway. When I walked into the hospital room she looked around and counted and was satisfied. Some time later that day [Wednesday] she went into a coma. Her doctor of many years stated he could not hear any activity in the lungs yet she still lived. God took her on Monday morning.

I believe that calling assisted suicide death with dignity is ridiculous. God gave us life and I believe that he intends that we cherish that life. However, in time death will come to all. To me death with dignity is being ready to meet God in whatever circumstances He may choose, understanding that: Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

This "death with dignity law" is nothing more than assisted suicide, which is still suicide.

There is NO dignity in killing yourself, assisted or otherwise.

My uncle killed himself a few years ago due to his perceived failure as a human being because of alcoholism. I see no difference in his reason for suicide and a terminally ill person. Both have decided their life if worthless. But life is never worthless to God and as long as there is life there is hope for either recovery or the influence one can give to others through their death, as was the case with Ann's mother.

I also think of the life of Paul. He was tortured, beaten and eventually beheaded, but he endured it all. He could have committed suicide, knowing that he was going to the sword, but instead he died a martyr's death and glorified God. I think we should do the same.

#38 Amy.G, May 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2009
  19. Magnetic Poles

OR, you are spamming the thread with your inane comments to keep the discussion from occurring. I ask again that you cease this. The phrase is the name of the law. The topic is clearly laid out in the OP. It is about the issues, NOT the name of the law. You are purposefully ruining the thread and acting troll-like.

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    None

Comparing people to pets is apples and refrigerators. They were not made in the image of God.

We should never withdraw someone from a respirator unless there is no brain activity, we should never withhold nutrition, and machines should be used again so long as the brain is active. In other words they should already be dead before we withdraw life saving options. The Terri Schivo case was murder and so is assisting suicide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.