1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debate for "Beliefs on Baptism."

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Darron Steele, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DSteele:
    "Clearly, Philip was not an apostle."

GE:
    Never denied nor supposed otherwise. And there were others as we both know. All these were ordained without mediation through the Apostles, and were apostles of the last generation themselves. They were the beginners of the Church. Are you another? For no other foundation can be laid but the one the Apostles laid. If you insist you have the authority to baptise you are an imposter. People like Philip received authority from the Apostles. You nor anyone else did.

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No generation after the apostles can make out the foundation of the Church laid by the Apostles - they have NO authority to. That is the answer to the genuineness of Mark's second ending - why do you want to avoid its discussion on this thread?

3. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Regarding a post by me over Matthew 28:19-20
    After pointing out yet again the Philip of Acts 6:1-7, Acts 8 including a water baptism at 8:35-8, and Acts 21:8, this was the reply
    The discussion of manuscript evidence on the lack of authenticity of what is after Mark 16:8 in the KJV would be a substantial distraction from the subject of this thread. Quite possibly, you know that.

Now, I am tired of this whole discussion, to be honest. You have now acknowledged, at long last, that someone other than the apostles were baptizing in water with Scriptural approval. You still maintain that the Lord's command is not to be followed; you have simply changed the speculation upon which you base this.

The apostles are not good reason to suggest doing the opposite of what Jesus taught. Paul reported at 1 Corinthians 4:17 “principles of behavior| in Christ, as I teach them everywhere in every church” (NBV|ESV). Paul taught to do the things Jesus Christ taught.

Now, you asked who I am. I will tell you who I am. I am a Christian. I follow Jesus Christ. I live my life trying to do the things Jesus Christ taught, exampled, and called for. This includes baptism. I do NOT go on the Internet to Christian websites and tell people not to do what Jesus Christ taught.

Matthew 28:19-20 Jesus says “Go, therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, |bautizad = baptize| them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, | enseñad = teach| them to obey everything I have told you| ; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
    ---NBV|RVA margin and translated|NBV|RVA margin and translated|ICB|NASB.

Behold Luke 6:46-9:
    "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? Every one that cometh unto me, and heareth my words, and doeth them, I will show you to whom he is like: he is like a man building a house, who digged and went deep, and laid a foundation upon the rock: and when a flood arose, the stream brake against that house, and could not shake it: because it had been well builded. But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that built a house upon the earth without a foundation; against which the stream brake, and straightway it fell in; and the ruin of that house was great" (ASV).​

I am tired of the time I am wasting with this. I am also unwilling to dignify this discussion any further. As far as Scripture goes, there is evidently no discussion to be had. All that has been offered against baptism is speculation -- which you shifted. A Christian is someone who follows Jesus Christ's teachings.

The numbers do not lie that I am certainly not alone on this:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=31991
    The fellowship poll that I created this debate thread for demonstrates that people who do not believe water baptism is commanded are only a small minority. This argument is unnecessary.

#63 Darron Steele, Jan 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2007
  4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Acts 22:16 Paul is just beginning his ministry and is beginning his ministry under the old covenant, and as yet hasn't received his "new revelation" that is the mystery: Jew and Gentile in one body. (The Body of Christ) The same can be said for all the other verses except Eph 4:5 which is of the Body Church. ie Baptism by the Holy Spirit upon conversion. (no water) We find very few baptisms happening after about this time and they've totally ceased in the next very few years, if that long.

If you view Christiandom today as part of the Kingdom (prophecy) church, you will never be able to see the fullness of Pauls ministry, which was to us today. We are stuck in the prophetic Kingdom philosophy, that has been set aside for 2000 years. If not, where is Jesus, and His reign from David's throne?

5. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

6. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

I already answered that question
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=907830&postcount=38 .

WHAT? Jesus indicated that baptism administered by people -- which is water baptism -- was to continue forever! There is no record of baptism ever being stopped -- it was to continue forever, as the Lord Jesus Christ commanded.

Matthew 28:19-20 Jesus says “Go, therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, |bautizad = baptize| them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, | enseñad = teach| them to obey everything I have told you| ; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
    ---NBV|RVA margin and translated|NBV|RVA margin and translated|ICB|NASB.
    If we are no longer to baptize, then we are no longer to make converts, and we are no longer to teach people to do as Jesus taught. Jesus said "always, even to the end of the age."

I believe that you are taking away from Scripture, but that it is more serious to get on the Internet and tell people not to do as the Lord Jesus Christ commanded.

Let me refer you to Acts 11:26 "the disciples were first called Christians at Antioch" (NASB). The ICB translates the Greek word under "disciples" as "followers."

Behold Luke 6:46-9:
    "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? Every one that cometh unto me, and heareth my words, and doeth them, I will show you to whom he is like: he is like a man building a house, who digged and went deep, and laid a foundation upon the rock: and when a flood arose, the stream brake against that house, and could not shake it: because it had been well builded. But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that built a house upon the earth without a foundation; against which the stream brake, and straightway it fell in; and the ruin of that house was great" (ASV).​

I am going to say the same thing to you as I did the other individual who advocates doing different than what Jesus taught. I am tired of the time I am wasting with this. I am also unwilling to dignify this discussion any further. As far as Scripture goes, there is evidently no discussion to be had. All that has been offered against baptism is speculation. A Christian is someone who follows Jesus Christ's teachings.

The numbers do not lie that I am certainly not alone on this:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=31991
    The fellowship poll that I created this debate thread for demonstrates that people who do not believe water baptism is commanded are only a small minority. This argument is unnecessary.

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Darren Steele:

"I am tired of the time I am wasting with this. I am also unwilling to dignify this discussion any further. As far as Scripture goes, there is evidently no discussion to be had. All that has been offered against baptism is speculation -- which you shifted. A Christian is someone who follows Jesus Christ's teachings."

GE:

You subtly say I'm not a Christian because I deny I'm an Apostle - the only ones ever 'commanded' to baptise. Its alright; I still believe I'm a Christian - I CAN only be a Christian by faith. Some people may think one must be baptised and do baptising or he is not a Christian. Fortunately Christ is judge - be the Christian you are the way you want to be it. Just don't tell me your opposite party in debate according to your interpretation of the Scriptures, isn't The knife cuts both ways. I say your not an Apostle; you say I'm not a Christian. Mabe we represent two kinds of Christianity altogether!

The worth of this discussion to me is single: Is the Scriptures honoured and done justice? I seek no further satisfaction.

Said you:
    "All that has been offered against baptism is speculation -- which you shifted."

First, I never offered anything against baptism; I showed what baptisms there are spoken of in the Scriptures: The baptism of Jesus with Spirit and fire; the baptism of the Apostles - sometimes indicated with water, sometimes not.

Lastly, you say I shifted my arguments against water-baptism by disciples of Christ. I have not - I have held my position since long. I did not with my first posts exhaust the subject. But let me expand yet a little further, by saying that even the Apostles were NOT the first to spread the Gospel. The converts of Pentecost went out first and made disciples in far lands the Apostles long after would hear. We Know for certain these first missioneries never baptised with water. It wasn't meant for even them, but for the Apostles who could authorise others to represent them if they wanted - we have definite precedents of this. But we have NO indication any of such Apostolic representatives who ttransferred their received authority to a next 'generation' so to speak. When these three 'generations' had done their work, the Christian Church was established, and it was the end of any Apostolic sign.

The Roman Catholic Church would later on claim Apostolic Succession and thereby and therefore, retained water-baptism. If they were right in their arrogance, they were in the right with their doctrine that only ordained priests aught to aminister water-baptism.

So the subject is quite a bit more complicated to dismis of so quickly.

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Darron Steele:

"If we are no longer to baptize, then we are no longer to make converts, and we are no longer to teach people to do as Jesus taught. ...."

Do you read yourself? Are we to stop Christian witness because we no longer should baptise? That, is all we can do, seeing we are neither Apostles who were obliged to baptise, nor the Holy Spirirt who alone can 'make converts'. We, converts ourselves by solely the Holy Spirirt and without water-baptism, sometimes may be gifted enough to teach, but that also seems to be a scarse commodity among believers.

9. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Gerhard Ebersoehn and Hillclimber1: I am done. My reasons have already been explained to each of you.

#69 Darron Steele, Jan 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2007
  10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Darron Steele:
    "WHAT? Jesus indicated that baptism administered by people -- which is water baptism -- was to continue forever!"

GE:
    Not 'people' ordinary but Apostles; not followers, but Founders; not baptism in water, but "in the Name".

Darron Steele:
    "There is no record of baptism ever being stopped -- ".

GE:
    There is no record of water baptism ever being instructed. But there certainly is word for word assurance water-baptism would stop -- John the Baptist said so.

Darron Steele:
    "... it was to continue forever, as the Lord Jesus Christ commanded."

GE:
    Where? Never!

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    Pray it might become apparent to yourself!

12. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

13. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Hillclimber1: there are some people who will simply not be convinced that they should be baptized. The polls demonstrate that most people recognize that Scripture commands us to baptize in water and be baptized in water, and that "always" means just that. I do not need to argue the point here. I have better things to do with my time.

When it is alleged that non-`baptismal regeneration' Christians `do not believe in baptism,' I can point to the poll numbers from the fellowship thread I created this debate thread for. That was the point of that poll to begin with.

#73 Darron Steele, Jan 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2007
  14. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

Your fellowship poll says so? So what does that have to do with the truth? I'm not doubting the sincerity of your pollsters, but I am saying they are wrong.