1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Debate on Codex Sinaiticus

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by SolaSaint, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "No two Greek manuscripts are alike"
    And you make this claim based on what authority?

This statement is a pretty radical claim to make without anything to substantiate it.

Yes the different editions of the Textus Receptus that do not mirror any Greek manuscript... But that's because we have very few complete New Testament manuscripts, what we have are a lot fragments and portions. You misrepresent the situation.

Yes there are no 2 identical Greek manuscripts with the same Book/Chapter/Verse Content. But that is not to say that there are not 2 Greek manuscripts with identical readings. For example I'm sure there may be one Greek Papyrus fragment of John 3:16 that will agree with say another Papyrus Fragment's reading of John 3:16 that also contains John 1:16-4:21... Again like I said you severely misrepresent facts and place false implications on them.

#41 Jordan Kurecki, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2013
  2. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isa 40:8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.

Mat 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

How is man to live by EVERY word if we only have "the gist" of what God says...? it does not say man shall live by every gist that proceeds out of his mouth..

Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
    Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

God obviously cares about all of his word he cares about additions and subtractions... If God pronounces a curse on those who would corrupt his word, why are you so quick to believe that he would not preserve his inerrent words?

I find that your statement all copies of scripture have errors is not based on Sola Scriptura but is based on what Paul would call "Oppositions of science falsely so called." and based on man made tradition.

Here are some more scriptures to think upon.

Psalm 12:6 The words of the LORD [are] pure words: [as] silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
    7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

Please don't feed me the them is God's people, anyone who knows basic english can tell that the words of the Lord are the antecedent for them.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Er Jordon. I think you don't know that you are in over your head. Jonathan knows his stuff on textual issues. Time for you to eat some humble pie.

Are you aware that there were no chapter and verse distinctions made in MSS?
    There you go again.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    refers to the originals God inspired unto us, and the copies that we have now extant in the various Greek/hebrew text pretty much mirror those!

Do you see the originals as being ANY different then the KJV version then?
    Were they inspired equally, or what?

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The originals match the KJV exactly! Haven't you heard of the Codex KJVaticus? :)

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TAHT must have been the document the monks copied off from, before burning it, and keeping their "corrupted" one!

7. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You missed my entire point with the chapter and verse disctinctions. The fact you made this statement shows you don't realize what I was saying.

Yes I am well aware that the were no chapter and verse distinctions in the MSS.

And I'm actually pretty well studied in textual issues as well... Either way that doesn't make either of us more correct than the other.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The main distinction in this topic is that we will allow for you to view the TR as being the best available Greek text, while we would see the CT as that, but we would see all available greek/hebrew texts as valid as word of the lord to us in original languages!

9. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. just no.

10. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your posts do not show it. Perhaps you have only studied one side of the textual issues and thus rely upon one-sided, biased, unreliable KJV-only sources.

If you were well-studied, you should know that there were copying errors in the Greek NT manuscripts on which the printed TR editions were based.

Have you read the book Beyond What is Written: Erasmus and Beza as Conjectural Critics of the New Testament by Jan Krans?

11. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Anyone well-studied in textual issues would know that the statement you claimed to be "radical" is actually a well-established fact according to those who have actually examined the manuscript evidence.

In his book Behind the Bible that he substitled "A Primer on Textual Criticism," Jeffrey D. Johnson noted that "none of the existing New Testament MSS perfectly agree with one another" (p. 14).

Johnson noted that "this means that there are no perfect extant (existing) MSS; all have at least a few mistakes" (p. 14).

Perhaps you are the one who misrepresents the facts through your own personal KJV-only bias and opinions.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WHICH TR edition is to be seen then as correct valid one?

Which edition was the one Eramus used?

Is the TR 100% the originals were then?

So NO other Greek text is valid, period, all others were corrupted by who/what?