1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debating Calvinism

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Southern, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Southern

Southern New Member

Hey guys,
    James White and Dave Hunt were on a radio program today discussing "Debating Calvinism". I have not had a chance to listen to it but maybe you would be interested in the discussion. Here is the link, it is the last one in the archinve:

http://www.soundwaves2000.com/viewpoint/

I miss being on the board and getting to discuss the scriptures. I hope to return after this semester at school!

May God bless you all,
    Sola Gratia...

2. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

On the back cover of Dave Hunt's book, "What Love Is This?" it says,

'Dave Hunt is a bestselling author, esteemed researcher, lecturer, and scholar. Nearly 4 million copies of his books have been sold. His works have been translated into more than 40 languages.' [end quote]

His book does not say Dr. Dave Hunt or Reverend Dave Hunt. Does any one know if he is a pastor or is he laity. I guess a man or woman can be a scholar without a seminary degree. There are a lot of good preachers who have never gone to Bible School and God has chosen to bless their ministries.

3. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Ray;
    I believe Dave Hunt is an accountant
    May God Bless You;
    Mike [​IMG]

4. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't heard any of those debates yet. However, I did get the book Debating Calvinism. I plan to read it during semester break.

5. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

TC

Who is the author of "Debating Calvinism?" Who is the publishing company?

Hal Linsey has a new book out that I saw tonight on a Christian television station called something like Vanishing, as in the rapture.

Ray

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder why a Calivinist would even debate? Doesn't that go against the very core of his theology. If God has already decided everything, there would be no need for a Calninist to debate. What he says will make no difference. Right?

I guess that shows how worthless calvinists are?

7. nwells

nwells New Member

GB -
    If you don't have anything good to say - don't say it...

-Nathan

8. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Ray,

Dave Hunt and James White coauthored the book (Thus, the title). The cheapest you can get it is at www.aomin.org. I think it is only $10 there, compared to $17.99 (plus tax of course) everywhere else I've seen it.

9. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Ray.

I haven't heard of Hal Linsey since the eighties. The man I received the word from was into him. Is he worth the read?

johnp.

10. Southern

Southern New Member

Ray,
    Was not Hal Lindsey the one who said Jesus was coming back in the eighties?

In Christ

11. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Ray,
    Was not Hal Lindsey the one who said Jesus was coming back in the eighties?

I only know that he is a writer of eschatology and includes present historical events. No one knows the day or the hour of His return for His church.

Mr. Camping of Family Radio is preaching that all Christians should leave their churches and support his ministry to the world. Is he, to your mind, a misguided Christian teacher or a heretic? He wrongfully thinks that we are in the Great Tribulation period right now.

If I may ask are you preparing for ministry? Either way may God give you an abundance of strength in every area of your life.

12. Southern

Southern New Member

Ray,
    Thanks for your encouragement. Yes I am preparing for the ministry although I am not in seminary as of yet. Pray for me as I strive to learn more about God's word! I am still working on a BA.

I see you have a THD, are you a teacher?

I do not know enough about Camping to call him a heretic. Thanks anyway for the information that is very interesting.

May God bless us both as we preach the gospel to every creature, Ray.

In Christ

13. Broadus

Broadus Member

So you know nothing about Calvinism than some caricatures that you parrot? Calvinists believe that God will use the presentation of truth to open the ears of those who hear, whether that truth concerns the gospel specifically or broader points of soteriology generally.

The book's a good read. Hunt does well considering that he has neither the Bible nor church history supporting him. White is too much for him.

Bill

14. Broadus

Broadus Member

Ray,

Debating Calvinism is co-authored by James White and Dave Hunt. White is a Reformed Baptist and Hunt is an Arminian of some sort. White's web site is www.aomin.org .

I think the book is published by Multnomah. It's at the house and I'm in my office, so I'm answering with the memory of a cluttered and disorganized mind.

Bill

15. Pete

Pete New Member

So far I've just read the intro and first couple of chapters, White has Hunt on toast...

16. Southern

Southern New Member

Pete,
    I thought the same until I read more and more and more and then....
    I began to get frustrated with Hunt. He does not deal with specific arguments nor exegesis for the most part. Hunt claimed to quote "hundreds" of verses, yet every time White took specific verses offered by Hunt he showed Hunt to be in error.
    I believe this book will be used to open many peoples eyes who are not swayed by emotional argumentation and see through the flimsy presentation and acontextual arguments of Dave Hunt.
    But anyways, if you think he looks like toast now, I got news for you... It doesn't stop till the last page.

In Christ