1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debt Ceiling Could Be Hit This Month

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by JGrubbs, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Whoopee! CHARGE! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sounds like the holiday shopping is beginning early.

2. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Yeah, ha ha ha. It's really a laugh that the government is running up a debt that will rob the prosperity, or maybe even the financial well-being of future generations. Har har har. The jike's on them, let's live it up.

Like they said, "eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die".

3. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Well PaJim, I choose not to wring my hands and cry "Woe is me."

Other than that what are you doing to change the situation?

4. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I have decided to do my part to educate those within my reach. The average voter would say, what does it mean that they have "raised the debt ceiling". They don't realize that the federal government is spending $13,735,391,456.62 per month just to pay the interest on this federal debt. I often wonder how many countries are we in debt to, and are recieving these interest payments.

Proverbs 22:7b: "and the borrower is servant to the lender."

The solution to most of the problems are a matter of education. We have a dumbed down society who need to be educated on the facts on so many issues.

5. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

When it comes to spending other people's money, politicians are like alcoholics who try to drink themselves sober. Yesterday, the U.S. Senate approved raising the federal debt limit by a whopping $800 billion. Tonight, the U.S. House will vote on the same measure.

What can we do about it? Call your Representative and ask them to vote vote "no" on raising the federal debt limit and, instead, reduce spending!

6. Pennsylvania Jim

Like Jgrubbs, I try to educate people on proper government. Beginning in January, I will be presenting a twelve week course on the US Constitution in my church. Also, I campaign for candidates for political office who believe that the government should spend far less than it presently does. Occasionally I write or call my representatives.

Contrary to your sarcastic implication, I have neither wrung my hands nor cried "woe is me".

7. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not any more. They just raised the ceiling. Don't you all wish we could do that?

8. Pennsylvania Jim

You get what you vote for.

9. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Amen!

10. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

And as long as we vote for people who steal from us and lie to us, they will continue to do it.

11. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

6857 posts and this is the best you can do?

12. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

The House is debating this live on C-SPAN right now. It sounds like there are a few conservative Republicans against it, and most of the Democrats are against it. I called my GOP Congressman and asked him to vote against raising the debt ceiling, but I doubt he will consider my opinion, I expect him to vote in favor of the administrations request to raise it.

13. Brian25jerzey

Brian25jerzey New Member

You may not want to get all your news from the Fox news channel it is all pro conservative and not balanced. To their credit they service a market that the other news channels dont.

14. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

The Democrats were making alot of sense during the debate of this bill. One Democrat from Texas even proposed changing the bill to make the raise of the debt ceiling only temporary till April 15th, 2005, at which time Congress could work on a plan to cut spending and lower the debt and the deficit. The Republicans voted down this suggestion, and are in the process of passing the bill to raise the debt ceiling permenantly. :(

15. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

It looks like there were only 10 fiscal conservative Republicans who were willing to vote against the Bush administrations request to raise the debt ceiling, here is the Roll Call:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2004/roll536.xml

16. Pennsylvania Jim

The GOP is now the fiscally liberal party, and the Democrats are the conservatives.

17. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

So you would preferred that the Government default last night?

18. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I would prefer the government to "shut down" as it did twice during the Clinton years, and work on balancing the budget, paying off the debt, and paying down the deficit, than to see them continue to increase unconstitutional spending and raise the ammount they borrow.

The GOP members of Congress were eve unwilling to compromise with the Democrats and make this a temprorary raise to the limit, just to get them throught to April 15th.

I just don't like the idea of paying 1/3 of the 13+ billion to countries like China every month!

Proverbs 22:7b: "and the borrower is servant to the lender."

19. Pennsylvania Jim

The GOP is happily slopping at the trough, and they like it too much to back away. They have proven themselves far worse stewards than the Democrats ever were.

20. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Edited for Revision - Will post later