1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Decertifying Global Warming Skeptics

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by DeeJay, Jan 17, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which experts?

There are just as many saying one thing as there are saying the other.

2. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    * cough * poisioning the well * cough *

Careful here, global warming is part of their dogma. For the non-evo faithful:

http://www.jamesspann.com/wordpress/?p=650

Okay, then, it's profitable junk science.

3. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Simple common sense, which you know my common sense is, huh?

This whole movement is really amazing to me. It's like you smart ones, are the first on board.

4. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Bush is kinda the gold standard of reality denial. If he can't do it any longer, not many people can.

The evidence by now is voluminous, and more is coming in each day. The game is up, and even Bush has conceded what is obvious.

5. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/e43fe006-a58b-11db-a4e0-0000779e2340.html

6. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Yep, that's a fact!

We have a limited amount of data over a limited amount of time. It's not much on which to make a firm conclusion and there's a whole lot of debate about it! The extrapolations aren't that solid and the reasons even less so.

This is especially obvious when you consider than during several decades (from 1940 to 1960) of extensive increase in man's industrial expansion and little use of environmental controls there was no increase in the mean global surface temperature. It's clear for the data collected that values have increased slightly and consistently in the last four decades (from 1960 to 2000) as it did early (from 1920 to 1940) but it's just not enough to say it will or won't continue doing that nor is it enough to conclude exactly why.

It's just not that clear what causes it. In fact, all the extreme environmental controls put is place during more recent time haven't changed the slight trend upwards. Does that mean we need to do more of the same or perhaps look elsewhere for the cause or consider that the trend may, in fact, reverse in time as it has over the centuries past. The mass of the earth's land, war, and air is exceedingly large compared to mankind's activities.

Experts ask a whole lot of questions about data, look for very conclusive trends in that data - not just short term spikes, consider all the variables that may or may not be the cause, and try to isolate the effect of each on on the data.

None of this, by the way, means we shouldn't work at reasonable controls over environmental impacts from our use of God's creation. Having done this in the past has resulted in some great localized improvements. Imposing excessive environmental controls may have no effect other than further load our processes with unproductive burdens. It will, however, make an whole lot of environmental consultants and lawyers wealthy and extend the government's control deeper into private enterprise. It will also likely make us much more dependent upon other nations for natural resources we could otherwise attain from our own lands.

7. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

(Barbarian links to Bush's admission that global warming is probably due to human activities)

The White House on Tuesday denied it was planning a U-turn on its climate change policy by embracing a system of formal caps on greenhouse emissions, despite rising pressure from European governments to change its stance.

Although energy security will be a key theme in President George W. Bush’s State of the Union address next week, the White House issued an unusually public rebuttal of rumours about its climate change policy. Tony Snow, White House spokesman, said: “I want to walk you back from the whole carbon cap story...The carbon cap stuff is not accurate. It’s wrong.”

You've confused his admission (in the link) that global warming is probably due to the things we are doing, with his announcement that he's not going to do anything about it. He says that he messed up in Iraq too, and he's not going to do anything about that, either. It's his way of dealing with reality.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

In this particular case, President Bush's opinion caries no more weight than mine or yours.

9. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ???

Okay, I'll pull the whole WH press release:

I bolded my question of your reply. Where is it here?

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assumed you knew about Galation.;)

Now I know you do.

11. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Again I ask you, what do you cite as the support for your argument for your belief that it is "impossible?"

Regards,
    BiR

12. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe he's on Jupiter causing global warming and the WH message got lost in the inter-planetary transmission.

So he really is "the Barbarian"? Then, he won't think Earth is the only thing doomed soon.

13. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My simple common sense. It does not make sense that even if man's sole goal was to increase the temp of the earth 1 degree, that he would even come up with a plan. Too immense a task. I'm not going to site the various places I've gathered info, in formulating my opinion, because of the humiliation you on that side would hurl.

#53 hillclimber1, Jan 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2007
  14. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

So, are we to believe that your belief that this is "impossible" is based solely upon your "simple common sense," and not anything scientific?
    What are your scientific credentials to make such an absolute pronouncement?

Getting curious,
    BiR

15. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh-oh, they're playing scientist again!

Shut one door, another could open. Can YOU answer something for me?:

Another Ice Age?:

OR:

Is is hot or cold and, in either case, will you still stop trying to destroy the planet Earth? Thanks in advance!

16. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

And, what if you are wrong in your theology, and there is no rapture?

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillclimber1
    My simple common sense. It does not make sense that even if man's sole goal was to increase the temp of the earth 1 degree, that he would even come up with a plan. Too immense a task.

Hillclimber has amply illustrated through his posts that he has an abundance of common sense. Using his own judgement, he can make any pronouncement he wishes. You are free to disagree, but not belittle.

I find your question a little odd considering you are addressing a Christian who believes in the divinity of Jesus. He doesn't have much "scientific" evidence to support that belief, either. Do you have a problem believing in Christ without the "scientific" evidence you crave?

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strange question coming from a Christian.:confused:

19. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Right! We know that ALL Christians believe in the Rapture!:rolleyes:

20. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

For 777, who missed it the first time...

The US Government has acknowledged for the first time that man-made pollution is largely to blame for global warming.

But it has again refused to shift its position on the Kyoto Protocol, an international treaty designed to mitigate global warming which the Bush administration rejected last year.

In a 268-page report submitted to the United Nations, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) endorsed what many scientists have long argued - that human activities such as oil refining, power generation and car emissions are significant causes of global warming.
    The White House had previously said there was not enough scientific evidence to blame industrial emissions for global warming. The submission of the EPA report came on the same day that all 15 European Union nations ratified the Kyoto pact.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2023835.stm

Probably it seemed to you, a good idea to pretend I said it was in a White House press release. But there are always consequences for that sort of thing.

Do right, and fear no man.