1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Decieved on Purpose

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by superdave, Jan 13, 2005.

1. superdave

superdave New Member

:The New Age consequences of the Purpose driven philosophy

by Warren Smith.

I heard a discussion with this author on the radio, and wondered if anyone had read the book. I am very skeptical, since many of his so called "evidences" are the very things that make the new age so dangerous, because they believe things so close to the truth, or things disguised as the truth. Its not necessarily Christianity borrowing from the new age movement as much as the other way round.

He attacks Warren mainly for his use of The Message and its "obvious" new age overtones.

Not sure what to think, gonna have to read the book, just wondering if anyone has heard of it or read it.

2. chosen one

chosen one New Member

I have the book, but have not read it.

chosen one

3. west

west New Member

I read it and liked it .

4. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

Haven't read the book, but would like to know what New Age overtones he is refering to.

5. superdave

superdave New Member

They were all rather vague and open to other interpretations, mostly an attack on "the message" hiding in the cover of a book about the PDL

Again, the reason that the New Age mvt is so pervasive is it is so much like the truth, the whole idea is that it is palatable to those of many faiths, so it is bound to have similarities, that is by design.

6. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the book as a help, not as scripture & you'll find it's well worth the effort!

Ignore all the doom & gloomers who have had no problems with books for the past umteen years, but hopped on this one because it hit the best seller charts.

Most of the complaints against this book are nothing more than the chronic belly-aching of sour-faced Christians!

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

just-want-peace, amen amen amen....very well said [​IMG]

8. Journeyman1

Journeyman1 New Member

Why not take a look at the positive results of the book. Many luke warm christians suddenly spending time within the bible and making life decisions based upon it. How can that be bad? As far as the "Message" being included, if this translation reaches someone with a message they wouldn't have gotten with another translation whats the problem with this? The idea is to disciple people not turn them away until they figure out the "right" & "correct" way. I read the book and liked it, it helped me.

jman

9. Jilliebean

Jilliebean New Member

I never understood anyone's problem with this book. I have read it and passed it around to friends and family. It should be used like any other book...an addendum to God's word. I found it uplifting and it made me look into the scriptures. Anyone looking for "hidden" agendas or messages in any book will usually find it, but it doesn't necessarily make it so.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chicken Little's "Sky is Falling" makes more sense. :(

11. Baptist Vine

Baptist Vine Member
    Site Supporter

I am not saying the whole purpose driven series is either the best or the worst in ministry to ever come along, but the last thing it is, is new age.

Come to Jesus and live your life for him because you'll answer for it in eternity is about as gospel as gospel ever gets. And thats not new age.

Some people make careers out of nitpicking, and nothing satisfies them, creating chains of weak implications out of erroneous assumptions.

12. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think there is an issue of jealousy at times as well....some just cannot stand the fact that someone else's work takes off ...and theirs does not.

13. BroTom64

BroTom64 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have the book but haven't read it yet. My Dad's Church (he's a Deacon) used it for the Forty Days of Purpose. He mentioned to me that the author uses multiple translations to the point of using one translation for part a verse and another for the rest with little reguard for context.
    I have no beef with using multiple translations to help make a point clearer. But my Dad felt the author was trying to make Scripture say what he wanted it to say.
    I plan to read this book soon.

Tom