1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Decisional Regeneration Take 2

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Aug 30, 2007.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Allen, think about this. Although the particular text in question does not tell us of what I have written concerning the seed, and not seeds as of many, the SAME apostle tells us so in Galatians. Now this is good biblical interpretation, interpreting Scripture by Scripture. You cannot ignore that the promise that all the families of the earth will be blessed through their seed is Christ and is the preaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is good biblical interpretation to bring the revelation of God from Galatians to this text.

Both the seed (Christ) and the heirs of the promises (descendents) are in view. Salvation is indeed of the Jews, but one is not a Jew who is one inwardly, but of the Spirit. The children of faith in Jesus Christ are counted as the seed, and THEY are the Israel of God. I thought this was fundamental to Christian understanding. Is dispensationalism affecting your interpretation of these Scriptures? I approach them covenantally.

This is a very odd reasoning Allen. If one believes their “theology” is from the Scripture, why would they put it off to know theology? Odd indeed. Must I put off my knowledge that Jesus is the Son of God to know Jesus is the Son of God? Maybe I am misunderstanding you. Methinks a thread about what biblical theology is should be made, lest we be counted as being anti-theological while all the time theologizing.

We know we do not what to make the text say what we want it to say. My understanding of the doctrine of election and predestination did not rise out of theology, but from Scripture. For me, it BEGAN with the OT as interpreted by the NT, not the other way around.

Rather than continue this one point of disagreement here, let’s start a new thread concerning Romans 9, groups, individuals, et.

One would love to see how you may have a nation that is not made up of individuals.

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Let's address the issue of Nations/individuals in another thread. Reason being is that it is driving your understanding of all the verses. i.e. its your theology. lol

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

I agree it would better to be done in another thread. However, you (though maybe not your intent) seem to think I take Romans 9 based on a theological view or that I studied some type of theology to come to this distinction and not context of scripture itself. The whole purpose I set forth for you what I did, was not to convince you of what Romans 9 IS but that what I see according to the content within the established context.

I know it is different from the Reformed view of Romans 9 but I found later in life it is actually a well known view of Romans 9 just as the Election for Salvation view is according to the Reformed Tradition.

However, both groups agree Romans 9 is speaking of God Sovereign right to chose what He will, it is just the two groups see His chosing in different things :)

To be honest before I even heard of the theological sides, I was going verse by verse throught the book of Romans and this is the gist of what I found then and still affirn (thus far :) ) based upon what "I" have found. (even after studying Calvinistic views later on)

#163 Allan, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007