1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Decisional Regeneration

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbaker

lbaker New Member

RB,

Why do you suddenly change from speaking modern English to Elizabethan English when you begin theologizing? :)

Les

2. lbaker

lbaker New Member

That should be obvious. Some folks don't want to give up a sinful lifestyle, some are convinced there is no God, some think they are just pretty good old boys (or gals) and that ought to be good enough, some believe in a false god or philosophy, some don't want to humble themselves - this list could go on forever, but I think I made my point.

Les

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

lbaker,

I do agree with your statement on the surface.
    That of course is the reason that many do not believe.
    All who do not believe are too proud etc to believe.

The question is:
    Why are you more humble so that you believe and others don't?

Why do some not want to give up the lifestyle?

We would ALL choose sin over God if left to our own will and nature.

4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I do not mean to add any persusaion by saying I can sympathize with your philosophical struggles over the abosolute sovereignty of God. I had them too.

However, what I am reading in your response (and I mean no offence) speaks more to your inability to understand than the truth of God as it is in Christ Jesus and revealed in Holy Scripture. B.H. Carroll, a great old time southern Baptist preacher once wrote, "Let faith apprehend what the understanding may not comprehend" (may not be an exact quote)

What this means is that there are going to be truths of God that are taught in Scripture that you may not understand, and may never understand. But do not let your inability to comprehend prevent you from accepting by faith the truth of God.

5. ReformedBaptist

Les,

In my responses I am using the my statement of faith, the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith to help in my explainations. So I am quoting something 318 years old.

6. ReformedBaptist

If intellectual honesty and truth were a large part of the opponents to the grace of God I might have more respect for them.

7. lbaker

lbaker New Member

The answer is:

The same reason some folks rob, cheat, and murder, vote Democrat, drive Fords, hate football, love golf, cheat on their spouse, don't like huntin' and fishin', and do all kinds of things - free will.

We are free to make poor (IMHO) choices.

Les

8. lbaker

lbaker New Member

I figured it was something like that. I was trying to make a joke.

Les

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You could answer this until you turned blue in the face, and it would not be accepted. It is an old tatic taught to the Calvinist when in debate with a non-cal.

10. ReformedBaptist

Have you ever seen anyone make a free-will choice contrary to their desires?

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You ever listen to George Jones, "we have choices". I think it is a pretty good song. If you come to a dark alley, you have a choice whether to go down that dark alley, or walk in the light.

12. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Sure, like when my wife (Melinda) and I get up and go to work in the morning. My desire is to keep rolling over and hitting the snooze button, or throw the stinkin' clock out the window, but I choose to get on up and start getting ready. (and I'm the "good" one)

Les

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Bob, I have never been taught "tactics" to defend calvinism
    I was taught to denounce it. I was taught to mock it. I was taught it was false teaching.

BUt God would not let me go. He kept after me until I admitted He was right and I was wrong!

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So you admit you are wrong? :)

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think you asked the wrong question there, RB. :tongue3:

We (as Christians especially) make free-will choices everyday that go against our desires.

I have nursed both my parents through years and years of cancer, heart disease and many, many major surgeries. They were both in the hospital at the same time at one point. During this time I had a young son that I had to leave for days at a time and drive 2 hours to the hospital to stay with my mother because my dad was too sick to be with her. My "desires" were to be with my son and my husband but being an only child I had to go when I was needed. My dad passed away 5 years ago, but my mother now lives with us because of her poor health.
    I could go on and on about my son's teenage years when he was sooo horribly rebellious and tell you all kinds of "desires" that I had at the time that are definitely not Godly, but he's still alive :laugh: thanks to God!
    So, yeah we can set our own desires aside for the needs of others. How do I know this is my own free will doing this? Because sometimes I don't set my desires aside. Sometimes I do things out of selfishness and I am ashamed to say so, but God always forgives. And even when I ask forgiveness, it's of my own free will to do so.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...every day when I go to work :D

17. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Dale I feel God led me the other way. I was reared in a home and went to a church that taught calvinism every day. I went to a seminary that was Calvinistic and Presbyterian.

I think where we differ, is the mechanics of salvation, I think God knew who would accept and reject his offer of salvation, but man must use his volition to accept or reject the offer, if man can't use his volition, there was no offer. We only know in part while on earth and we both can quote Scripture to prove our point. As A. W. Tozer said, God dwells in eternity and time in God and man in time, so ther is much we don't know.

18. ReformedBaptist

My question was sincere, not rhetorical. But to answer the question with a question is a way not to answer a question. :smilewinkgrin:

19. ReformedBaptist

Thanks for a reply. What this discussion will get into, and the nature of the question, is to begin to cause us all to think of the nature of the will. This subject is, in my opinion, highly philosophical, but worthy of study and understanding.

I submit, before giving my reasons, that it is IMPOSSIBLE for someone to do anythign contrary to their own desire. And what is the will? Is it not "that which the mind chooses anything" ? "The faculty of the will, is that power, or principle of mind, by which it is capable of choosing: an act of the will is the same as an act of choosing or choice." -Edwards.

What you have described in saying that your will and desire can run counter to one another is in-step with John Locke's philosophy on the will,

I disagree with this. A man nevers wills contrary to his desires. In your example, your setting aside your own needs and wants, and so choosing to do what you did, shows that your will still followed your desire and that was to do what you believed to be right and good. You were faced with choices and had to choose, but still chose according to your desire or preference.

While Jonathan Edwards is hard to understand, he is quite right in regards to Locke's reasoning:

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I too was taught to debunk Calvinism, but it eventually debunked me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.