1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Defending the Military Part 2

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by saturneptune, Jul 8, 2012.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I feel this needs to be further discussed. My hat is off to everyone that served. regardless of the job, rank, branch, or combat. I have no problems with differences of opinions over if a war was just, if we should have fought in it, etc. I have a major problem with those who did not serve having an agenda of bitterness against those who did serve, especially those in combat. They risked their lives for the right for you to post your cry baby posts.

2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbsup: Amen.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

Bitterness against GIs following orders? No, anger against the pols who sold us out to Big Oil.

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Emphasis mine

Or, as in the case of the modern group of so called "national servants", BIG UNIONS!!!:BangHead:

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I actually remember a movement back when I was in the service, maybe the early 70s, the concept of unionizing the military. It did not get off the ground, and found it to be one of the most ridiculous ideas ever presented.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    During my short time I was in Kyrgyzstan, I worked with some Dutch army counterparts; they informed me how the unionization of their military was working out. Granted, they could grow their hair long, and their uniform standards weren't as strict; but in order to get any benefits, they had to sign agreements to be employed with the military until age 65. That was a few years back, and things might have changed; but I am *SO* glad we aren't considering such a thing.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. So you have no bitterness against the Nazi SS who were following orders?
    2. Since I am a dumb GI - what is a "pols"
    3. Since we have been sold out to Big Oil ( I assume you mean "blood for Oil") why aren't we paying the same price as some other countries.
    4. If you think Big oil makes too much money - then why not buy some stock in those companies?

When one joins the military, he gives up many rights. To have an effective military unit - you must have one leader, and the troops must be prepared and ready to follow that leader.

When in combat there is no time for union meetings. The leaders have be trained to lead and make decisions. Success of the mission is determined in part by loyalty of men to their leader.

On the other hand - troops are trained in the Geneva Convention - in that only "legal orders" are to be obeyed.

For example, if a platoon has a POW- but the platoon leaders wants to "waste" him and directs a GI to kill him - that solider has a responsibility to refuse such an illegal order.

As far as long hair and other uniform standards - there are reasons for those standards. A young Private may not understand them - thus that is why he is a Private.

Is it hard to be in the military - YES - but as the sayings go:
    "When the going gets tough, the tough get going" and
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war".

#7 Salty, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
  8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Get off it Billwald. Gas in this country is cheaper than it is in most developed countries. I have heard democrats holler BIG OIL for years but never BIG GOVERNMENT!

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

In my opinion, not my humble opinion, the democrat/leftist party in this country has tried to destroy the military since WWII. I recall McGovern talking about getting on his knees to get peace in Vietnam. I recall him and like minded democrats pushing for unilateral nuclear disarmament in the face of the Soviet Union. If these people had their way the hammer and sickle would be flying over this country now.

Obama and his leftist allies are well on the way to accomplishing what those people could not, primarily because of the stupid agreement the super[stupid]committee reached.

House Armed Services Committee Chairman Buck McKeon has warned if the cuts are too deep the Pentagon may have to reintroduce the draft. A memo prepared by Republicans on that committee shows how the the country's overall unemployment rate would rise if these severe defense cuts are triggered.
    Nearly 200,000 soldiers and Marines would be let go, and the Armed Service Committee members warn that at least 25 percent of the military's civilian workforce would be furloughed, eliminating at least 200,000 jobs.
    And finding employment for returning veterans will be difficult, they warn. The national unemployment rate is currently 9 percent, but unemployment for Iraq and Afghan war vets is 22 percent, and it is 41 percent for wounded vets.
    If the deficit super committee fails to reach an agreement, the number of Army battalions will go from 100 to about 60 battalions. The number of Navy ships will go from 288 to 238 - a reduction of two Aircraft Carrier Battle groups. The Air Force would lose more than 400 fighter jets and about 34 strategic bombers.
    The biggest jobs cuts would be in Virginia, Texas and California -- where the defense industry supports local economies. Such cuts in the short term may cut the debt but would also cause the national unemployment rate to rise significantly, according to Pentagon officials.
    Defense spending will soon be at its lowest level, as a portion of the overall federal budget, since before World War II. The Obama administration has ordered the Pentagon cut its budget by $465 billion over the next decade. In the next two years the Pentagon budget is slated to fall by 10 percent, even without sequestration or the punishment that is automatically triggered if the super committee fails to find a compromise and other savings.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...talks-could-devastate-military/#ixzz208xTXGLi

10. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you attempt to derail every thread you post to?

11. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Nah.....Don't you know that this is just his demonstrating God's giftedness to the rest of us "pooo folks" w/in the BB family? :tear:

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I meant to say the other day, your posts as of late seem a lot more reasonable and enjoyable to read to me. I do not know if you or I have changed, but one of us has.

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Awwww....thanks!

I must have changed.

According to FreeAtLast I'm a supporter of our evil, Gestapo government and I never was before.

14. billwald

billwald New Member

>>Bitterness against GIs following orders? No, anger against the pols who sold us out to Big Oil.

>Do you attempt to derail every thread you post to?

READ POST #!

15. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say any problem with any particular military person would be based on level of information and on the reason for fighting. If someone just simply had a bloodlust, that would be a problem.

I would like to give the benefit of the doubt to the majority of service people and put the blame of problems primarily on the politics of those leaders not engaged in the front lines.